Variable formed by a string and a existing variable

Hi guys,

I am very new to programing and I am trying to finish my first script.

In the example below, how can I make it understand that $qty_300 is a variable and not a string? That means, in the first msg box, I want to get the result "5" and not "$Qty_300"

$Qty_300 = 5

$mger = 300

MsgBox (0, "wrong message", "$Qty_" & $mger)

I would appreciate a lot any help.

You'll need to add this somewhere at the start of your script to get what you want:

Opt("ExpandVarStrings", 1)

However, why are you doing things this way? Why do you need to manipulate strings to process your variables?

In most newbie cases, it's primarily because they don't know about or don't know how to use arrays. Are you the same or is it something else?

The OP is confused and answers so far contribute to confuse him/her only more.

Variable names start with a $ and can contain any combination of A-Z, a-z 0-9 and _. From this, you see that $Qty_300 is a valid variable name. You use it as such in your $Qty_300 = 5 assignment. Then why do you dissect the name in your MsgBox statement?

$Qty_300 = 5
MsgBox (0, "Message", $Qty_300)

If you want something a little more informative, try:

$Qty_300 = 5
MsgBox (0, "Message", "The variable $Qty_300 currently holds value " & $Qty_300)

If you want to get rid of the dependency on this particular variable name, try:

$Qty_300 = 5
 MsgBox (0, "Message", "There are currently " & $Qty_300 & "yellow wrodignocks in stock.")

Now if you need to manipulate,say, items stock for a complete inventory, then previous allusions to arrays will make more sense.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Thanks all for the help.

Malkey, "Execute" worked like a charm !! Tks.

Omikron48 and RobSaunders , I believe I didn`t get it, but I am trying.

Spammer, tks!

Maybe I could use an array, but I can`t figure out yet how to do it. Anyway, "execute" made the job.

That`s is more exactly what I am doing:

;define limits
$mman = InputBox("Testing", "Enter the limit of days for man. Can be 100, 150, 200, 250 or 300", "", " M3")
$msup = InputBox("Testing", "Enter the limit of days for sup. Can be 100, 150, 200, 250 or 300", "", " M3")
$madmin = InputBox("Testing", "Enter the limit of days for admin. Can be 100, 150, 200, 250 or 300", "", " M3")

; the part below runs into a loop after it reads each line of the spreadsheet. I am simplifying it here.
;open spreadsheet
Send("#r", 0)
Sleep(500)
Send("C:\Temp\temp1.xls{ENTER}", 0)
Sleep(1500)
WinActivate("Microsoft Excel non-commercial use - temp1.xls  [Compatibility Mode]")
WinWaitActive("Microsoft Excel non-commercial use - temp1.xls  [Compatibility Mode]")
Sleep(150)

; get the values in the spreadsheet
Send("^{HOME}", 0)
Send("{END}{LEFT}", 0)
Send("{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}{LEFT}", 0)

; this is a number
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $Qty_100 = Number(ClipGet())

; this is a number
    Send("{RIGHT}", 0)
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $Qty_150 = Number(ClipGet())

; this is a number
    Send("{RIGHT}", 0)
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $Qty_200 = Number(ClipGet())

; this is a number
    Send("{RIGHT}", 0)
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $Qty_250 = Number(ClipGet())

; this is a number
    Send("{RIGHT}", 0)
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $Qty_300 = Number(ClipGet())

; this variable is an e-mail address
    Send("{RIGHT}", 0)
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $admin =(ClipGet())

Send("{RIGHT}", 0)
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $sup =(ClipGet())

Send("{RIGHT}", 0)
    Send("^c", 0)
    Sleep(150)
    $man =(ClipGet())

;this part runs in the CC: field of an e-mail client. It is actually copying the manager, supervisor and administratos, depending how bad is the problem.
    If Execute("$Qty_" & $mman)     > 0 Then
        Send($man, 0)
        Send("{ENTER}", 0)
        Send($sup, 0)
        Send("{ENTER}", 0) 
        Send($admin, 0)
        Send("{ENTER}", 0)
    ElseIf Execute("$Qty_" & $msup) > 0 Then
        Send($sup, 0)
        Send("{ENTER}", 0)
        Send($admin, 0)
        Send("{ENTER}", 0)
    ElseIf Execute("$Qty_" & $madmin) > 0 Then
        Send($admin, 0)
        Send("{ENTER}", 0)

EndIf

You're making it overly complex.

First, use the Excel UDF to pick up values in your Excel sheet. That will be robust, while Send() and friends will cheerfully fail if ever any window or dialog pops up while your script is running (they work on the active window and if Excel is not the currently active one, then ... plonk!).

Have "badness" level limit values entered for your three levels, preferably from listbox (and check they are in increasing values!).

Now, pick up your "problem badness" values in the sheet row. I understand that only one will get non-zero, right? Anyway, keep only the worst (largest) and then:

Select
    Case $badness >= $ManagerLimit
    ; code to CC to manager
    ContinueCase
    Case $badness >= $SupervisorLimit
    ; code to CC to supervisor
    ContinueCase
    Case $badness > $AdminLimit
    ; code to CC to admin
    ContinueCase
    Case Else
    ; common action if needed
EndSelect

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)