_ExcelBookOpen() with Read-Only Recommended Switched On

I have a spreadsheet which has been saved with the 'read-only recommended' option switched on.

If I try to open the spreadsheet using the _ExcelBookOpen() function, a dialog box pops up which tells me that it is recommended to open the spreadsheet in read only mode unless I need to make any changes.

The problem as I see it is that the script pauses until _ExcelBookOpen() completes which it can't do as the spreadsheet can't open until the dialog box is clicked. I can't intereact with the dialog box as the sript is paused until _ExcelBookOpen() completes.

How can I click the dialog box if both parts of my script are waiting for the other to finish?

Any help gratefully received.

Open it in read-only mode.

If you need to make changes ... well, it will get complicated.

What's preventing you to get a "normal" file? Why can't you make your script to detect the new window and press the desired button?

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

As I said:

- get a "normal" file instead of that one (either remove the read-only thing either create a new file and copy everything)

OR

- get the title of the pop-up and button handles and make your script push the button

It would be better if we knew how to explicitly open in RW with a parameter that prevented that dialog from occurring, but I don't know how to do that.

Since the call to $oExcel.WorkBooks.Open() is blocking, you would have to kick off a separate process to deal with that pop up dialog. One easy way to do that is for the script to Run() itself with a command line switch that causes that instance to only handle the pop up and then exit.

:mellow:

P.S. Hmm... wasn't that hard to Google a solution after all. There is a parameter for the .Open() method called IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended. You could try something like:

$oExcel = ObjCreate("Excel.Application")
$oExcel.Visible = 1
$oExcel.WorkBooks.Open($sFilePath, Default, False, Default, $sPassword, $sWritePassword, True)

That seventh parameter = True is IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended.

:(

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Since the call to $oExcel.WorkBooks.Open() is blocking

Hat-off; I didn't think of that. You're right 100% - it looks like Mongoose doesn't have too much choice.

There is a parameter for the .Open() method called IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended

That's nice :mellow:

Edited by enaiman