Get Text From Message Box

I have a general message box popup that comes up and I've used the Window Tool and WinGetText to try and get the text from the message box.

The window tool doesn't show any visible or hidden text and obviously the WinGetText fails...

Can anyone please shed some light on how I can obtain the text from the Message Box?

Thanks

Edited by h121h

BrettF,

This is a new function I'm writing so there is really no code yet...

Issue: 1 of 2 Message Box pop ups but never both, this function is going to determine which message box popped up and click ok or cancel respectively. Both message box's have completely different text in them, but the only thing I can get the Window Tool to recognize is the Ok, and Cancel buttons on either message box. I cannot get it to read any text what so ever from the message box's, and I cannot go by the titles because they use the same title.

Does that explain my situation a little better?

Edited by h121h

You can copy the title text, message text and button text to the clipboard.

Example:

; tested with Win7
Run('Notepad')
WinWait('Untitled')
ControlSend('Untitled', '', 'Edit1', 'some string')
WinClose('Untitled')
WinWaitActive('Notepad')
Send('^c') ; copy to clipboard
ControlClick('Notepad', '', "Do&n't Save")
MsgBox(0, '', ClipGet()) ; show clipboard contents

#cs - Clipboard contents shown
    [Window Title]
    Notepad

[Main Instruction]
    Do you want to save changes to Untitled?

[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]
#ce

Tested in Win7. I know Win XP draws lines with dashes and does not use [] chars to enclose button text.

I appreciate both of your replies. But this message box is not one that I or my script is displaying... It is displayed by another running program. The problem I am having is there is no way to differentiate between the two different message box's it displays besides the text displayed in the message box and I cannot get AutoIt or AU3 Window Tool to read the text. Hopefully thats a little more clearer...

Edited by h121h

Are the titles of the MsgBoxes different?

Can you read the WinTitle?

Do you get the text if you press Ctrl+c when the MsgBox is active? Look in your Clipboard.

Edited by funkey

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.

• 1 year later...

I too have the same problem. I tried MHz's code, but my message boxes are generated by evil VB6 based app which doesn't support the copying trick.

The class shows as "ThunderRT6FormDC", it has a bunch of invisible buttons ("Retry" and "Ignore" for example, class "ThunderRT6CommandButton").

• 2 years later...

Well 

WinGetText()

fails to get the MsgBox() because the script pauses the execution when the msgbox appears, so when wingettext() occurs its too late. I'm trying to do the same, I'll tell you if I can do it :)

Have you tryied to use GUIs?

Edited by JackER4565

JackER4565, please take note of the date of the threads you're posting in, this one is 3 years old and I'm sure the OP has solved the issue or moved on in that time frame, not to mention he hasn't been on here since this thread back in 2010.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

As to the problem, if you invoke the MsgBox then surely you know what text you entered?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018