Securing source code

Hi all,

I was wondering what would be the best way to protect my exe from being decompiled.

As i use alot of variables in the code obfuscating is not an option for me, as it screws up some parts of my application.

Thx in advance for any suggestions!

LostProph

Did you read the FAQ on this subject? Did you search the forum?

In short: You can't protect your script 100%

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

As i use alot of variables in the code obfuscating is not an option for me, as it screws up some parts of my application.

It's not an option because you use a lot of variables? I don't follow :mellow: Do you mean the code doesn't work any more after obfuscating?

• Developers

Shouldn't have anything to do with the number of variable, but Obfuscation doesn't make it safe anyway as I have stated many times.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I've obfuscated a script over 7000 lines with almost as many variables, I dont see the problem.

I think obfuscater is cool, so it dosent super protect your script, but it will put a pain in the arse of anyone who might want to steal it and pass it of as their own.

So as far as im concerned it does what it sets out to do.

Or you can learn to program in binary.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Developers

I've obfuscated a script over 7000 lines with almost as many variables, I dont see the problem.

I think obfuscater is cool, so it dosent super protect your script, but it will put a pain in the arse of anyone who might want to steal it and pass it of as their own.

So as far as im concerned it does what it sets out to do.

Or you can learn to program in binary.

indeed this is what I advertise... it makes it somewhat hard to read but doesn't protect it. :mellow:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Well, not binary, C would work just as well ... although technically speaking that isn't bulletproof either.

In short: no matter what you do, if code is executing on the local machine, no matter what form it is in, it can be decoded provided the person decoding it is willing to put in the required effort.

#fgpkerw4kcmnq2mns1ax7ilndopen (Q, $0); while ($l = <Q>){if ($l =~ m/^#.*/){$l =~ tr/a-z1-9#/Huh, Junketeer's Alternate Pro Ace /; print $l;}}close (Q);[code] tag ninja!

To be honest i am happy with any form of security...

Even if it would be a passphrase that prevent ppl from using the Exe2aut tool i'd be happy already...

As for obfuscating, even if i set so that only a minimum of items will be obfuscated, my program will not fully function as it should.

Well you should make a thread about it, and provide some details, errors, warnings etc...

I'm sure you will get some help.

Some functions like call tend to generate a warning from obfuscater, but in my case the compiled code still worked.

There could be a number of reasons for your woes.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

• Developers

Some functions like call tend to generate a warning from obfuscater, but in my case the compiled code still worked.

It all depends what it is whether a warning/error will break a script or not.

In general: I am interested in scripts breaking issues when Obfuscated and no Errors/Warnings were given.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I've never had problems with it, only that once with the warning, but it still worked, and I removed the call() anyway after understanding that I didnt need it.

I'm just happy that its included in the download and you're still keeping an eye on it.

One thing I have never known is how to obfuscate without compiling.

I thought it would be the save only option but that didnt work, but I have very rare call to use it and its no big deal to me.

• Developers

One thing I have never known is how to obfuscate without compiling.

I thought it would be the save only option but that didnt work, but I have very rare call to use it and its no big deal to me.

Just add this in your SciTEUser.properties and Ctrl+Shift+O will do the job:

command.46.*.au3="$(SciteDefaultHome)\Obfuscator\Obfuscator.exe" "$(FilePath)"
command.name.46.*.au3=Obfuscator
command.save.before.46.*.au3=1
command.is.filter.46.*.au3=1
command.shortcut.46.*.au3=Ctrl+Shift+O

Jos :mellow:

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

I would advise you to use encryption functions like base64 for example.

Also "exprotect" is a nice tool that helps in security - search it in the example script.

How would that add any more protection the the script source?

Really folks, please understand that there is no such thing as secure source code with AutoIt3.

Enough said about it.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.