File Back Up

Hi, I'm kind of new to AutoIt and I need some help.

I need a script that can be run on any computer (for use on a large network) and that will allow a non-computer "geek" to back up their files.

What I'm thinking of is something that has multiple check boxes:

• Documents
  • Files on desktop
  • iTunes music
  • All .doc
  • Favorites in Firefox and Internet Explorer
The user will be able to check the check box for whatever they would like to back up and it will create a folder inside the user's network server folder and zip it up. This will also need to be able to run on Windows XP and Macs. The user's server folder is -- H:\user's name\ -- and I want to move the files into -- H:\user's name\Back Up\ -- as a zip file. So how can I have the script check to see what check box is checked and gather all files (not applications) in whatever area specified.

In addition, I've been looking online for something that can do this and was unable to find anything that recognizes different users and changes based on it (@ComputerName anyone?). But one thing I've noticed is that a lot of the scripts start with something like "#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>" and usually "Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)" but I am lost here and I don't know where the author of this script is getting those values. I've gotten a little bit into the manual and so far nothing has mentioned this and the GUI, Macro, and Function references online are no help. In addition the computer I am working with at school won't let me view the Keyword reference. Can someone please explain what these functions do and where I might find a list that I could refer to. Thanks.

-Slydragon

P.S. Do If..Then functions also need the ..Else..ElseIf and does every If..Then function if it is nested inside another If..Then need a separate EndIf or do I just need one for the outer If..Then?

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Just use the helpfile you got with the download, press F1 to open it from SciTE (only works when an AutoIt file is opened) or by launching AutoIt.chm.

Please have a look at the functions/keywords you are unsure off, and if you have any questions, you know where to find us! :mellow:

Welcome to the forums!

- AutoIt won't run natively in Mac OS, so you're on your own there.

- You'll need to create your own GUI with checkboxes

- Differentiating users should be done with @UserName rather than (or in addition to) @ComputerName.

Now that you mention it, the Keyword Reference table in my help file is empty. (I'm running 3.3.4.0 on my main box, 3.3.0.0 on another, which looks ok)

However, I'm still able to expand the tree and get to the individual topics properly.

Are you able to expand the tree? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Either way, the documentation is also available online: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/

If you get stuck, post the code you have so far.

Good luck!

[font="Tahoma"]"Tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties"[/font]

The Keyword section for 3.3.4.0 is bugged yes, but it was fixed in the beta following it, and still works in 3.3.6.0.

P.S. You really should update.

I've already devised a system to create a GUI with the check boxes I want, but I just need help with the code to check for the specified check box(es) when a button is clicked. Here is the one I'm working on right now (very basic):

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $button_1, $group_1, $check_1, $check_2, $check_3, $check_4
    Local $radioval1, $radioval2, $msg

Opt("GUICoordMode", 1)
    GUICreate("@ComputerName File Back Up", 400, 280)

; Create the controls
    $button_1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Back Up to H:\", 30, 20, 120, 40)
    $group_1 = GUICtrlCreateGroup("Files", 30, 90, 165, 160)
    GUIStartGroup()
    $check_1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Desktop", 50, 120, 70, 20)
    $check_2 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Documents", 50, 150, 80, 20)
    $check_3 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Favorites", 50, 180, 80, 20)
    $check_4 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("iTunes Music", 50, 210, 80, 20)

; Show GUI
    GUISetState()

; In this message loop we use variables to keep track of changes to the radios, another
    ; way would be to use GUICtrlRead() at the end to read in the state of each control
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $msg = $button_1
                DirCreate("H:\Back Up")
                If GUICtrlRead($check_1) = $GUI_CHECKED Then 
                    DirCopy(@DesktopDir, "H:\Back Up")
                    ElseIf
                If GUICtrlRead($check_2) = $GUI_CHECKED Then DirCopy(@MyDocumentsDir, "H:\Back Up") 
                If GUICtrlRead($check_3) = $GUI_CHECKED Then DirCopy(@FavoritesDir, "H:\Back Up") 
                If GUICtrlRead($check_4) = $GUI_CHECKED Then DirCopy("C:\Documents and Settings\@UserName\My Documents\My Music\iTunes Music", "H:\Back Up") 
                EndIf
                EndIf
                EndIf
                EndIf
                MsgBox(0, "Finished", "Files backed up." & $radioval1)              
            Case $msg >= $check_1 And $msg <= $check_3
                $radioval1 = $msg - $check_1

EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc

But the problem is here, do I need an EndIf for every If..Then statement? In addition, does it matter what line the If..Then statements are on? I assumed they had to be on the same line since tested it on different lines bugged it out, but I see a lot of scripts that do have them on different lines (wrapping text maybe?). Also, do I need to have ElseIf statements nested within my If..Then for it to work? And the "#include.." at the top, where is the program getting this? What are they? What does that one do?

Note: This script was copied from the "GUICtrlCreateRadio example" and various variables were changed and main script was changed to fit my intentions.

There is another script that I looked up online and I'm trying to figure out how it works.

Note: Not that I should copy it and put my own script in, but how it works so that I may create another script such as this from scratch in the future.

Here it is:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Form1 = GUICreate("Form1", 315, 120, 193, 122)
$Checkbox1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("a", 8, 0, 25, 41)
$Checkbox2 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("b", 8, 38, 25, 25)
$Checkbox3 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("c", 8, 68, 25, 17)
$Checkbox4 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("d", 8, 98, 25, 17)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Alle Makieren", 48, 24, 121, 25, 0)
$Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Keine markieren", 48, 72, 121, 25, 0)
$Button3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Start", 176, 24, 121, 25, 0)
$Button4 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Beenden", 176, 72, 121, 25, 0)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit

Case $Button1
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox1, $GUI_CHECKED)
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox2, $GUI_CHECKED)
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox3, $GUI_CHECKED)
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox4, $GUI_CHECKED)
        Case $Button2
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox1, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox2, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox3, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
            GUICtrlSetState($Checkbox4, $GUI_UNCHECKED)
        Case $Button3
            If GUICtrlRead($Checkbox1) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                Sleep(2000)
                Send("{a}")
            ElseIf GUICtrlRead($Checkbox1) = $GUI_UNCHECKED Then
                Sleep(1)
            If GUICtrlRead($Checkbox2) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                Sleep(2000)
                send("{b}")
                Sleep(1)
            If GUICtrlRead($Checkbox3) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                Sleep(2000)
                Send("{c}")
                Sleep(1)
            EndIf
            EndIf
            EndIf
        Case $Button4
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Please help. And I would be grateful if you can also help me understand what is going on here. Thanks.

-Sly

P.S. In the first script I have the path set as "@UserName" but since it is within the " " for the path flag, it is not working as intended and is instead using the path as "..ettings\@UserName\My.." and not "..ettings\johnsonbh\My.." (network login ID for this explain would be Henry B Johnson). How may I fix this particular issue in addition to the above scripts and questions.

This makes a string having the stated value.

"C:\Documents and Settings\@UserName\My Documents\My Music\iTunes Music"

This makes a string with the @UserName macro inserted.

"C:\Documents and Settings\" & @UserName & "\My Documents\My Music\iTunes Music"

See the difference? The @UserName will not evaluate if you stick it directly inside quotations, not by default.

GUIConstantsEx.au3 is a file used by the GUICtrl* functions, that's why it needs to be included. You can find it inside the Include folder in your AutoIt installation folder.

"#include" includes the stated files when your script is compiled, adding the code inside those files with your code.

Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1) is used to change settings in AutoIt. In this case, it is making it so that all variables must be declared before they are used. This is good practice to use because it helps simplify the process of debugging by eliminating the possibility of use of undeclared variables.

BTW, all this information is in the help file.

Edited by omikron48

Ah, thank you, that clears some things up a bit.

Also, I was looking in the help file and still cannot seem to find a command that let's me copy only documents of a selected directory. Does DirCopy take applications by default or is it set up to pull everything? So if the user has games, .exe, files (.doc/.ppt/.. etc.), and install files, how can I tell it to take only the "files"?

-Sly

I'm not sure but I don't think filtered copy is provided in the AutoIt library. I looks like you need to make a function of your own or look for one in the forums.

If you're planning on making one of your own, I recommend looking up FileFindFirstFile and FileFindNextFile for iterating through files/folders in a directory, and StringRegExp or StringCompare and StringRight to check whether a file ends in a particular file extension.