AVG Free - Virus Detected on Latest SciTE Installer

I read the "sticky" note about "false positive" virus reports for various elements of AutoIT - but I had never actually seen one until I downloaded the latest "Full SciTE Install" (the one dated 02-28-10). I am running AVG FREE v9.0.733 with Virus DB v271.1.1/2728 - which are the "most up to date" versions available per the "automatic update" site.

Just in case anyone else experiences this issue - I thought I'd post the reply I received from AVG... Confirming that it is a "False Positive" and that it should be "fixed" when the next set of virus definitions are created.

---- AVG Technical Support <support@avg.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,

>

> thank you for your email.

>

> Unfortunately, the current virus database version may detect the

> mentioned virus on some legitimate applications. We can confirm that

> it is a false alarm. We would like to inform you that the false

> positive will be removed in the next Definitions update. Please update

> your AVG and if a new Definitions update was downloaded, check whether

> the file is still detected.

>

> If you need to restore deleted files from AVG Virus Vault you can do

> it this way:

> - Open AVG user interface.

> - Choose "Virus Vault" option from the "History" menu.

> - Locate the file that was incorrectly removed and select it (one

> click).

> - Click on the "Restore" button.

>

> We are sorry for the inconvenience.

>

> Best regards,

>

> Petr Sevcik

> AVG Technical Support

>

> website: http://www.avg.com

> mailto: support@avg.com

After so mant false positives by AVG over the years I finally threw it away. It is a foregone conclusion that they will repeat the mistake in a few of months. Their database has a very short memory which doesn't make you feel confident they can detect real viruses. In my opinion AVG is operated by a bunch of idiots. They are not at all sorry for the inconvenience or they would take steps not to do it again but on previous form they will do it again and again.

Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.