Autoit Null Session Shares

In both the stable/production and latest beta versions, compiled exes produce the following error message when ran from a nullsession share:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

If I place other EXEs (Microsoft patches, Wise, Installshield, etc...) in the same folder, they run fine.

Yeah I know all the pitfalls with nullsession shares, but they do have a lot of advantages, and LANDesk likes them.

Here is a link for Null Session Shares

We are moving away from these shares but it will be sometime......

Windows 2000 Servers, XP Pro SP1, Active Directory.

Seems Autoit has problems with these shares.

I am not familiar with null session shares, but from what I gather are they running when not logged on?

Anyway, I do a lot of remote AutoIt scripts, as in running a script remotely.

When designing a script to run remotely, you need to keep in mind that there is no actual window, so window commands don't really work. Also it is hard to press a button that isn't really there as well.

You might ask then what do you do remotely?

I remotely have AutoIt do file copy funtions, date and time stamp them for backups, do file updates and other things, and run other remote programs.

When doing this, you have to also be careful of drive shares, because you are not logged in to those drives.

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

A Null Session connection, also known as Anonymous Logon, is a mechanism that allows an anonymous user to retrieve information, such as user names and shares, over the network, or to connect without authentication. It is used by applications such as explorer.exe to enumerate shares on remote servers. On Windows NT and Windows 2000 systems, many local services run under the SYSTEM ID. The SYSTEM account is used for various critical system operations. When one machine needs to retrieve system data (like available shares, users, etc) from another, the SYSTEM account will open a null session to the other machine.

Basically the LANDesk client runs under the system account and this ONE way to grant the system account access to network shares.

Not sure why all other exes work and AUtoit exes do not.

Don't get me wrong I love Autoit, it is a GREAT tool, just wish it would run under a Null session share.

I am not familiar with null session shares, but from what I gather are they running when not logged on?

Anyway, I do a lot of remote AutoIt scripts, as in running a script remotely.

When designing a script to run remotely, you need to keep in mind that there is no actual window, so window commands don't really work. Also it is hard to press a button that isn't really there as well.

You might ask then what do you do remotely?

I remotely have AutoIt do file copy funtions, date and time stamp them for backups, do file updates and other things, and run other remote programs.

When doing this, you have to also be careful of drive shares, because you are not logged in to those drives.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>