What Do You Guys Use This Program For?

I don't use it for gaming at all. I use it primarily for automating Windows functions and file manipuation.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

For letting me go to lunch for 2 hours and still do the same amount of work. :whistle:

Trimming off 8 hours of work each day for the folks under me at work, etc.

AutoIt lets me set up a repetitive task once, just think if you could set it up to take out the trash once, feed the dog, vacuume the house, do the dishes, wash and change the oil on your car, etc. Well this is unfortunatly only the computer version. B)

Many tasks still take the same amount of time (installs,) others are quite a bit faster (button pushers,) and some are just incredible time savers.

Overall, I would say Maintainance is one of its best features. If you are required to do something over and over, this program rocks. For instance, I need to download a file, parse data out of it, run it through anouther program, and finally log into a secure website, click a few pages, and finally upload the file. It takes only 5 min a day, but since it is all scripted, It takes up none of my time, only computer time. Luckily my computer doesn't mind working late, or getting up really early.

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

To maintain 850 workstations and 11 servers. Automated the task of installing security patches and updates for Win2k, WinXP, Server 3, Internet Explorer, MS Office Suite, and some company engineered software.

Benefits are:

Significantly reduce sneaker networking walking to every machine

Don't have to buy a new pair of sneakers every month

Significantly reduced overtime

Automated Anti-virus updates

Automated user logon, mapping network shares, printers, etc

Automated Inventory

Stop hitting my head against the wall because Microsoft restricted the RUNAS command's password entry from being scripted is probably the big ticket.

:whistle:

I have used it to resize my screen for some games (click one icon and viola).

Enable/Disable Seti@Home with one key press.

I have used it to automate the processing of 21 datasets with 4 different design files (84 passes through the program) for a client (Ok, my brother).

Testing my C++ development skills B) And testing Jon's patience :whistle:

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

I am still new to this, but have already written small programs to do my daily tasks at work. As I get to know the language and utility of this program further, I think I should be able to automate a lot of stuff, mostly regular and routine work at work, and hope to increase my efficiency, and not tire my fingers as much.

So far this has worked great for me! :whistle:

once in a while as a VNC server/client that doesn't get blocked by firewalls

[quote]I was busy waiting all night for the Columbus Day Bunny to come down my chimney and light fireworks in my pumpkin.There's so much wrong with that.Oh, I'm sorry, i forgot you were Jewish.[/quote]

I don't use it for gaming at all. I use it for automating builds and running tests at work. We have another build tool but it works via the command line or with COM enabled apps. Some of the programs don't fall into that category, i.e can only run as GUI apps. I found AutoIt when searching for something that would enable the selection of menus and control buttons. Found that AutoIt so powerful that I've extended it to run manual tests on our apps - now we don't even have to sit in front of the screen to test them :whistle:

GrahamS