Thank you AutoIt Team!

jftuga

I am sure you guys hear these kinds of stories all of this time because your language is just so awesome. I got a chance to write a script the other day and this is what my coworkers had to say to my boss...

I just wanted to let you know that John has helped us create a short cut for creating labels for our Contact Lenses. This is saving our contact lens technician two to three hours per day of data entry! She won’t stop smiling.

Again, thank you so much for creating such a great product!

-John

I am sure you guys hear these kinds of stories all of this time because your language is just so awesome. I got a chance to write a script the other day and this is what my coworkers had to say to my boss...

Those are the moments that really make this job a pleasure, when I can do something in 10 minutes that saves someone else hours, over and over again. I haven't had one of those moments yet using AutoIt, but I'm sure it will come.

You should get a raise!

From personal experience of this kind of thing, what he will end up getting is loads of people pestering him to help them out, and no recognition from his boss because his own work suffers from the distractions of having to help everyone else out. Well, my first boss was very like that, I'm glad to be out of that place.

From personal experience of this kind of thing, what he will end up getting is loads of people pestering him to help them out, and no recognition from his boss because his own work suffers from the distractions of having to help everyone else out. Well, my first boss was very like that, I'm glad to be out of that place.

That is just the situation I find myself in. Over the last couple of years I've saved the organisation I work for between £200,000 and £300,000 with several AutoIt projects that were not necessarily part of my job but I saw things were being done inefficiently, where a bit of automation could save 100s of hours manual effort, and went ahead and produced a solution. I did get a well done from my manger but unfortunately no share of the savings.

I now find myself with the reputation as the guy who can. The trouble is I find it hard to say no when someone brings a problem, usually because it's an interesting problem to solve and I really enjoy the challenge. Doing these side jobs and delivering on my main job is getting difficult. At the moment there are 3 or 4 people who think I'm working full time on coming up with a solution for their problem. Thankfully with AutoIt and the great set of tools that come with it it's almost possible to deliver a weeks work in two days.  

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

That is just the situation I find myself in. Over the last couple of years I've saved the organisation I work for between £200,000 and £300,000 with several AutoIt projects that were not necessarily part of my job but I saw things were being done inefficiently, where a bit of automation could save 100s of hours manual effort, and went ahead and produced a solution. I did get a well done from my manger but unfortunately no share of the savings.

I now find myself with the reputation as the guy who can. The trouble is I find it hard to say no when someone brings a problem, usually because it's an interesting problem to solve and I really enjoy the challenge. Doing these side jobs and delivering on my main job is getting difficult. At the moment there are 3 or 4 people who think I'm working full time on coming up with a solution for their problem. Thankfully with AutoIt and the great set of tools that come with it it's almost possible to deliver a weeks work in two days.  

To right, when you become good at something ppl want you to do more of it! I used AutoIt to run smoke testing every night. Hooked up to a continuous integration tool that run over night I didn't even have to be there to do my job - soooo good. Of couse then I had more time to be stabbed with other tasks. I think if you turn 8 hours of work in to 3 you should get the rest off.

Haven't much actual use for AutoIt here as I am using SoapUI but I was talking a guy who was planning to sleep at his desk. I said I could create something that would simulate a mouse movement so the screen saver would not activate. AutoIt has many uses. :(

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

I now find myself with the reputation as the guy who can. The trouble is I find it hard to say no when someone brings a problem, usually because it's an interesting problem to solve and I really enjoy the challenge.

"If you want something to get done, ask a busy man."

Over the last couple of years I've saved the organisation I work for between £200,000 and £300,000 with several AutoIt projects that were not necessarily part of my job ... I did get a well done from my manger but unfortunately no share of the savings.

While you're probably not going to get much of a slice of the savings now, it does look dang good on a resume when you can say something like: "I saved my company between £200,000 and £300,000 on projects that I initiated."

Of course, it might be a good idea to note down exactly how you did it so you can explain it later :(

#fgpkerw4kcmnq2mns1ax7ilndopen (Q, $0); while ($l = <Q>){if ($l =~ m/^#.*/){$l =~ tr/a-z1-9#/Huh, Junketeer's Alternate Pro Ace /; print $l;}}close (Q);[code] tag ninja!

• 5 months later...

I'm living exactly the same situation as well.

Saved a couple of thousands for the company. People always is asking to me "automate" stuffs and still have to deliver my main task by the end of each day. o:)

Raise?

Nothing. Maybe when I show all my main projects to the main director of the company and how much I've saved with it. This will happen soon... ;)

Reputation?

Like you said. I'm "the guy who can" :P

Future's beneficts:

Definately I will put something like "Various project benefiting the company's production". Then, I will explain everything later..And of course, use AutoIt in other ocasions when the proper situation arises. :)

Anyway, I'm also grateful to the AutoIt Team and members from this forum too. ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm super thankful also!! My cousin just showed me this a few days back because I needed to make a quick that would prompt for user info to map a network drive for the other kids in my class to connect to a file server in my photo class. All my friends are amazed by what I did and it was sup simple! I hope to get much much better with auto it to help out in the forums as much as possible! :x

I started out not sure where to start in programming :x wich in itself was rather frusturating. I gained a basic knowledge of programming from AutoIt and progressed it into c++. I can honestly say that AutoIt IS the best language for casual to beginner programmers. Using it I got an A on my senior project(created a POS system), got started in 3d graphics using irrlicht(and through it openGL), and learned I have no mind for TCP functions... in any language. As I delve more and more into c++ I realise just how much work must have gone into making AutoIt, and I sincerely thank everyone who contributed. Without all of you I wouldn't have gotten started programming at all. PS yes I am very inactive, but I always check back every now and again.

I love AuotIt. I took two semesters of C++ and I couldn't make a worthwhile program to save my life (most of my stuff wouldn't even compile and I never could figure out the problems).

Anyways, AutoIt has made it possible for me to make USEFUL programs that get the job done. I have automated many tasks at work (saving lots of hours of work per week). Also, I created programs to make things idiot proof for other workers. Tedious tasks that I would get calls about the steps all the time are now automated and effortless.

AutoIt has made me look like a decent programmer when I'm really not.

Thanks AutoIt team!!!

#include <ByteMe.au3>