"Find" in RichtTextEdit

ds34

I have a RichTextEdit and use it as a log application. I would like to add a "find/ find next" function for this log.

Anyone of you who has an idea of how-to or even sample implementation?

Cheers!

• Moderators

ds34,

Here is a example using _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText - which is designed to do just what you want: :)

#include <GuiRichEdit.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Global $lblMsg, $hRichEdit

Main()

Func Main()

Local $sSearchTerm = "another"
    Local $iSearchStart = 0

Local $hGui = GUICreate("Example (" & StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 4) & ")", 320, 350, -1, -1)
    Local $hRichEdit = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, "This is a line." & @CRLF & "And this is another line." & _
            @CRLF & "And yet another line.", 10, 10, 300, 220, BitOR($ES_MULTILINE, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL))
    Local $hFind_Button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Find", 230, 310, 80, 30)
    GUISetState()

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                GUIDelete()
                Exit
            Case $hFind_Button
                If GUICtrlRead($hFind_Button) = "Find" Then
                    GUICtrlSetData($hFind_Button, "Again")
                    _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit, $iSearchStart, $iSearchStart)
                    $iIndex = _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText($hRichEdit, $sSearchTerm)
                    _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit, $iIndex, $iIndex + StringLen($sSearchTerm))
                    $iSearchStart = $iIndex + StringLen($sSearchTerm)
                Else
                    GUICtrlSetState($hFind_Button, $GUI_DISABLE)
                    _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit, $iSearchStart, $iSearchStart)
                    $iIndex = _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText($hRichEdit, $sSearchTerm)
                    _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit, $iIndex, $iIndex + StringLen($sSearchTerm))
                EndIf
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Main

I hope that helps. :(

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Thanks,

seems I should have made a move to the "new" GUIRichEdit.

However, this is not feasible, since the old GUIRichEdit I am using is way faster and this performance is critical in my case (lots of small, differently formatted text pieces to be appended to the RichTextEdit every second).

I will check the _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText() if I can find a way to reuse/adapt this to the my version of "a" UDF (I do not even know the real version of this, since its an unversioned file from Gary Frost/Yoan Roblet I took from the forum ages ago).

I know it misses lots of finetuning/features (i.e. resizing support) compared to the new UDF, but again, the performance counts here.

Thanks again!

Daniel

• 8 months later...

I tried to run this code directly, but get "ERROR: _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText(): undefined function."

I also get the "undefined function" error when trying to use _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindTextEx and _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetTextRange in my own code. The functions are recognized by AutoIt's CallTips, leading me to think they are found. Yet other RichEdit functions work fine.

I can't figure out what the problem is. Any idea?

ds34,

Here is a example using _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText - which is designed to do just what you want: :x

<snip>

• Moderators

DickG ,

Any idea?

Which AutoIt version are you using? :x

The 2 additional commands you mention (_GUICtrlRichEdit_FindTextEx and _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetTextRange) are not in the current release - add the fact that you cannot use _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText (which is) and it looks very much as though you are a little behind on the update front. :P

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I'm using 3.3.0.0. So you're probably right about that being the reason.

I've been putting off updating because I might have to spend time debugging those that break due to the changes. So I'll just have to bite the bullet and update.

DickG ,

Which AutoIt version are you using? :x

The 2 additional commands you mention (_GUICtrlRichEdit_FindTextEx and _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetTextRange) are not in the current release - add the fact that you cannot use _GUICtrlRichEdit_FindText (which is) and it looks very much as though you are a little behind on the update front. :P

M23

• Moderators

DickG,

Good luck to you with the updating - it will be worth it. :x

I would wait until after Xmas though, or your dinner is likely to be overcooked and you might miss Santa! :P

M23

Spoiler

I bit the bullet and updated all my scripts. Luckily, not that much needed changing. All went well.

But now AutoIt can't find these commands:

o _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetBold

o _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetBold

o _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetOLECallback

o $ES_SUNKEN as parameter to _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create

I searched the forum and the Help file, but can't find anything about them. Were they deleted? Is there a replacement or workaround?

DickG,

Good luck to you with the updating - it will be worth it. :x

I would wait until after Xmas though, or your dinner is likely to be overcooked and you might miss Santa! :P

M23

OK, I did more digging and discovered how to handle the bold (_GetCharAttributes and _SetCharAttributes). No problem on $ES_SUNKEN: I just deleted that.

The only problem I have is not being able to unbold text after bolding it.

I'm using _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharAttributes($hwnd, "+bo", True) to make it bold and _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetCharAttributes($hwnd, "-bo", True) to try to unbold it, but "-bo" doesn't do it.

Well, anyway, hope you have a great Christmas and New Year, Melba. And thanks for your help.

Dick

I bit the bullet and updated all my scripts. Luckily, not that much needed changing. All went well.

But now AutoIt can't find these commands:

o _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetBold

o _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetBold

o _GUICtrlRichEdit_SetOLECallback

o $ES_SUNKEN as parameter to _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create

I searched the forum and the Help file, but can't find anything about them. Were they deleted? Is there a replacement or workaround?