_EnumChildWindows

Ascend4nt

_EnumChildWindows

Enumerate controls/children of a Window

Posted Image

This code enumerates all controls/children of a given Window and returns them in an array.

Example code is included.

*small change 9/15/2010:

• removed a #include line from the example code posted here (not required)
*update 3/28/2010:
  • Control ID is now retrieved. Unfortunately the indexing was reworked (sorry). But at least now I believe all the relevant information needed is retrieved.
  • Parameters to the function now have a slightly different meaning. Basically, this was done to allow searching for controls with an empty-string for a Title. All defaults are now 0, so a call can be made like this to find all Controls with a 'Button' classname:

_EnumChildWindows($hWnd,0,0,"Button")

#include <_EnumChildWindows.au3>
; ===============================================================================================================================
; <TestEnumChildWindows.au3>
;
;   Test for _EnumChildWindows UDF.
;
; Author: Ascend4nt
; ===============================================================================================================================

; ===================================================================================================================
;   TEST
; ===================================================================================================================

#include <Array.au3>

Local $hWnd="",$hControl="",$sTitle="",$sClass="",$aEnumList
Local $iCalcPID,$hNumber1Button=-1,$hNumber4Button=-1,$hPlusButton=-1,$hEqualButton=-1
$iCalcPID=Run("calc.exe")
If @error Then Exit
$hWnd=WinWait("Calculator")

If $hWnd=0 Then Exit ProcessClose($iCalcPID)

; Important to wait for the window to fully 'create' itself before getting child windows!
; Note that other processes that become activated somewhere between _WinWaitEx and this will cause WinWaitActive() to wait for manual activation
;WinWaitActive($hWnd)   ; bad idea in busy environment
WinActivate($hWnd)  ; this seems to be a better alternative, the window seems fully created after this is called in my tests

; Parameters to function

;$hControl=HWnd(0x########)
;$sTitle="^(\d|\+|=){:content:}quot;
;$sClass="Button"

$aEnumList=_EnumChildWindows($hWnd,$hControl,$sTitle,$sClass)   ;,2) for RegExp Title
If @Error Then Exit ProcessClose($iCalcPID)

; Find specific items [Certain versions of Calc won't return any text]
For $i=1 to $aEnumList[0][0]
    Switch $aEnumList[$i][3]
        Case "1"
            $hNumber1Button=$aEnumList[$i][0]
            ConsoleWrite("'1' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][2]&"]"&@CRLF)
        Case "4"
            $hNumber4Button=$aEnumList[$i][0]
            ConsoleWrite("'4' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][2]&"]"&@CRLF)
        Case "+"
            $hPlusButton=$aEnumList[$i][0]
            ConsoleWrite("'+' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][2]&"]"&@CRLF)
        Case "="
            $hEqualButton=$aEnumList[$i][0]
            ConsoleWrite("'=' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][2]&"]"&@CRLF)
    EndSwitch
Next

; Add Headers
$aEnumList[0][0]="Handle"
$aEnumList[0][1]="Classname"
$aEnumList[0][2]="Iteration"
$aEnumList[0][3]="Title/Text"

; Bring the window forward
WinActivate($hWnd)

; Perform a simple calculation to show interaction
If $hNumber1Button<>-1 Then
    ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hNumber1Button,"primary",3)
    ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hNumber4Button)
    Sleep(1000)
    ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hPlusButton)
    Sleep(1000)
    ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hNumber4Button,"primary",2)  ; double click, but that's fine
    Sleep(1000)
    ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hEqualButton)
EndIf

; And Display ALL Enumerated Windows
_ArrayDisplay($aEnumList,"Enumerated controls for 'Calculator'")
ProcessClose($iCalcPID)

Download the ZIP from my site

Ascend4nt's AutoIT Code License agreement:

While I provide this source code freely, if you do use the code in your projects, all I ask is that:

• If you provide source, keep the header as I have put it, OR, if you expand it, then at least acknowledge me as the original author, and any other authors I credit
  • If the program is released, acknowledge me in your credits (it doesn't have to state which functions came from me, though again if the source is provided - see #1)
  • The source on it's own (as opposed to part of a project) can not be posted unless a link to the page(s) where the code were retrieved from is provided and a message stating that the latest updates will be available on the page(s) linked to.
  • Pieces of the code can however be discussed on the threads where Ascend4nt has posted the code without worrying about further linking.
Edited by Ascend4nt

Updated :(

*update 3/28/2010:

• Control ID is now retrieved. Unfortunately the indexing was reworked (sorry). But at least now I believe all the relevant information needed is retrieved.
  • Parameters to the function now have a slightly different meaning. Basically, this was done to allow searching for controls with an empty-string for a Title. All defaults are now 0, so a call can be made like this to find all Controls with a 'Button' classname:

_EnumChildWindows($hWnd,0,0,"Button")

• 5 months later...

dude u rock.

Is There A Life BEFORE Death?im stupidSaved warn logs: cheateraSmOke_N Note Added 17 January 2009 - 02:54 PM Added to warn level Posting a way to hack the registry and force sending someones desktop via TCP. Jos Note Added 25 November 2008 - 02:52 PM Added to warn level for being an impolite rookie.once a year i go bad ... what will happen in 2010??[u]Its GOOD to be BAD ... (Warlock's Succubus - World of Warcraft)[/u]

wakillon, sorry - that was a remnant from the example before it was modified. It's not required for the code to run, but I realized I left that '#include' statement in there. It's removed now, however, and should run. The code in the ZIP file on my site shouldn't have it either.

Thanks for pointing it out.