Koda vs Manual

44 members have voted

1. 1. How do you code your GUI's?

My normal method is to use Koda to quickly create a rough working version of the GUI and then manually fine tune it to get everything exactly the way I want. Just my personal preference, but I find it easier to tweak the settings for each control is Scite rather edit the properties list for each control in Koda.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

• Moderators

Manual - always.

Koda is a nice tool, but I prefer to produce my own code for a number of reasons - among which are: deciding TABSTOP order; ability to access certain controls created in immediate succession with loops; my naming system.... :(

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Evertime a new release ok Koda comes out, I give it a try then remove it and write the GUI's from scratch. From it's very inception, Koda has never lasted more than a day on my system.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

George, what is your issue with Koda? It's not quite as intuitive as Visual Studio's dialog editor but it's still pretty good. I've ran into various issues along the way and I've just reported them to LazyCat who has fixed most of my complaints so far.

George, what is your issue with Koda? It's not quite as intuitive as Visual Studio's dialog editor but it's still pretty good. I've ran into various issues along the way and I've just reported them to LazyCat who has fixed most of my complaints so far.

I only have monir issues with it Valik. Generally I find it just as easy to create my own from scratch.

I don't know if it still defaults to GUIOnEventMode set to 1 or not but that used to bug me because I never use OnEvent code. I really feel that OnEvent is archaic and should have ridden out on the backs of dinosaurs right along with GoSub and GoTo.

EveryTime I tried it, if I cose to create a new project, it came up with the file save dialog (good and fitting) but if I clicked Cancel then it saved a blank project anyway. When I cancel something there should be no further action.

Like I said, minor, and not difficult for people to work around. Also not worth reporting because I still prefer the scratch method. It seems to me that there was also an issue with Opt("GUICoordMode") as well, I use mode = 2 quite often on smaller GUIs.

Edit: Oh yeh, forgot to mention that I tend to get stubborn on the odd (very rare) occasion so anything I do or do not use may be a questionable decision, ask Jos.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Koda everytime I need a GUI - it makes GUI creation so simple and fast.

I'm able to create a GUI without it, of course but it will take at least twice that long.

It is an extraordinary tool and the "align and distribute"-type commands are simply "priceless" for me.

To answer GEOSoft - nope, it doesn't default to OnEvent; I know that because I had to change it in order to use that mode.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...