Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

autoit for linux

74 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've done a little research and I found bash, but it seems harder. I think it would be a great idea to have Autoit for Linux. Post your input.

Edited by trickytroy

Posted

Windows scripting is something completely different from a linux scripting language. That said, it would be terribly difficult to write a script for Windows, and port it to Linux, heck, it might as well be practically impossible.

You would be better off writing a C or C++ (or any other OS/hardware -independent language) program, and compiling/running it on the machine.

Posted

idea seems good. wishing for that too....but i guess its somewhat impossible.

Posted

If you want to port it to KDE or GNOME (which I think have different graphics message maps), go for it! :(

Posted

Hmmm... I hear the windows emulators are getting pretty good these days... Someone was telling me that they're even starting to support DirectX. I can't verify this, as none of my Linux boxes even has a GUI installed.

Waste of CPU cycles, I say. :(

Posted

Not that I'm aware of...heck, every time I try to install it spits back the rpm, god forbid wine from letting me 'make' the source :(

Posted (edited)

Not that I'm aware of...heck, every time I try to install it spits back the rpm, god forbid wine from letting me 'make' the source  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm 'Package Manager Impaired', if I can't compile and install from original source, its either not worth having or the platform is flawed. After reading your post, I downloaded the 20050419 source for Wine and found it wouldn't compile out of the box.

'./configure' popped a couple of idiot light warnings about the X libs not being present, which I knew already. 'make depend' ran fine. 'make' choked on the ddraw_test code being missing or maybe missplaced.

In the programs/winetest directory edit Makefile and winetest.rc to remove the ddraw_test entries and it compiles just fine.

Of course I can't actually use it (for the reason mentioned above), but it did compile.

Core platform is: Slackware 9.1

Possibly relevent Custom compiled Mods/Upgrades are:

binutils-2.15

bison-1.875

gcc-3.4.2

linux-2.6.9

The first (and only) time I ever tried to use RedHat, it choked on my custom compiled kernel, and I swore I'd never use it again. Slackware has never failed me in that respect.

Edited by Smed

Posted (edited)

I stick with RedHat and Fedora, but I have to switch to SuSe because that America's Army game doesn't work on RHL-based builds for some god-forsaken reason :(

Next time I set up a linux box, I'll test...I don't have one at the moment...

Edited by MSLx Fanboy

Posted

I've done a little research and I found bash, but it seems harder.  I think it would be a great idea to have Autoit for Linux.  Post your input.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with perl, python and ruby on linux? You don't need to programm bash/shell scripts.

Posted

bash aint harder to learn than autoit.

the function names are shorter and you cant compile them... (i think)

i like to use php, its realy easy but the function names are chaotic :(

so does it run on wine?

i only have a active webserver, cant play around there...

Posted

I think its great the idea of autoit for Linux. Anyone make it work ?

Posted

autoit on linux may sound like a wonderful thing. like Nutster said which gui are you going to nail autoit to. besides they change the gui version alot on kde and gnome not to mention others. the other question you have to be asked what version and type of linux are you gonna use it on? go here for an idea o what i mean linux distros. hey how about an (Autoit Linux OS) it sets itself up and asks no questions and tells no lies. ;)

Posted

one year on....no picture...no sound....

Posted

one year on....no picture...no sound....

hm... maybe because there is no real need for it???

Cheers

Kurt

Posted

idea seems good. wishing for that too....but i guess its somewhat impossible.

the devs won't do it. will you?

Posted

hm... maybe because there is no real need for it???

Cheers

Kurt

Probably because it is allready there. It's called Tcl/Tk

Posted

I would say that there is not much need for AutoIt under Linux. For *almost* every GUI app under Linux, there is also a way to accomplish the same thing with a command-line program. For everything else, you would have to tie it into a framework like KDE or Gnome (as mentioned before). These change often (as also mentioned before).

What would you do with AutoIt / Linux that you couldn't do from a command-line?

-John

Posted

I suppose this is a somewhat good idea. But most linux "fanatics" will say that would much rather stick with c++.

Why does it have to support GUI's? Why not port it over to just some basic functions:

ConsoleWrite()

ConsoleRead()

FileDelete()

FileOpen()

-----

Posted (edited)

Sorry, don't get it. You got pipes, rm, cat, and you can redirect output and errorstreams to files. Don't get me wrong, AutoIt is really nice, but with some little bash-scripts and the tons of commandline-tools you can really do something. :) And even if it may seem funny, I found many of the things I missed in the windows-world on freshmeat.net. So there was no need to search for an easy, good documented lang (the helpfile the comes with autoit was my reason to stick with it :P )

... btw.: I think there was a tool that was able to manipulate/check for windows, but I can't find it. :D

zenity is a good start if you just like to have some boxes and dialogs.

(I don't use those d'n'd-gui-wizzards, but I think they are a good starting-point)

Edited by dabus

Posted

If would be cool a Linux version of aut2exe was made called aut2lin or something and it compiled the script to Linux code instead of Windows code.

I hope some of the devs read this topic. O_o