Add My programs Uninstaller to Add/Remove Programs

I have a program that I have built that contains an uninstaller. I would like to add it to the add and remove programs in the control panel.

I assume that I will need to add a key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall in the registry.

The problem that I am worried about is that all the program keys in the uninstall folder/key are what looks to be hex based and is long.

I wonder if i can create my own or if someone out there has a better idea for accomplishing this task.

I do not expect anyone to do this for me, I would just like a good suggestion for the correct direction to go.

It always amazes me how one little thing can cause so much havoc

Those long hex thingys are clsids... You don't need to bother though - If you scroll down you will see a key called AutoIt3 for example:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AutoItv3]
"DisplayName"="AutoIt v3.3.6.0"
"UninstallString"="C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\Uninstall.exe"
"DisplayIcon"="C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\AutoIt3.exe,0"
"URLInfoAbout"="http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3"
"Publisher"="AutoIt Team"
"NoModify"=dword:00000001
"NoRepair"=dword:00000001

I find that in general the AutoIt registry entries are very good standards to work from, and since you know what the effect is they are very easy to work from.

Mat

Thanks Mat, I did not know if the clsid was required for add and remove programs to see the autoit3 key.

thanks, helps alot.

damon

I have tried using this script to create a key to display my uninstall.exe in the add and remove programs

RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "DisplayName", "REG_SZ", "Bluetooth Scanner")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "UninstallString", "REG_SZ", "C:\Temp\Scanner4.9.10\uninstall.exe")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "URLInfoAbout", "REG_SZ", "")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "DisplayIcon", "REG_SZ", "C:\Temp\Scanner4.9.10\setup.exe")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "Publisher", "REG_SZ", "Damon Pence")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "NoRepair", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "NoModify", "REG_DWORD", "00000001")

It does not show up in the add and remove programs. It is creating the keys correctly in the registry. I have even tried

RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "DisplayName", "REG_SZ", "Bluetooth Scanner")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "UninstallString", "REG_SZ", "C:\Temp\Scanner4.9.10\uninstall.exe")
RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Scanner", "Publisher", "REG_SZ", "Damon Pence")

it still did not work. has anyone got any ideas?