Nowhere else to post?

So apparently I can't post in the examples forum because I'm a new member and I need to have 10 posts first. LOL took me a while to figure that one out. I also can't post in the chat forum, again because I'm a new member. I didn't have any specific questions at this time, I just wanted to share a script. I know this is probably not a good way to start off, but come on guys. Don't you think that might throw off new members just a bit? It might at least be useful to have a forum where newbes can at least say hello and introduce themselves.

It might at least be useful to have a forum where newbes can at least say hello and introduce themselves.

Hi and welcome to the forum, i'm sure it wont take long before you have 10 posts rather then allowing fresh accounts to spam everywhere :) , Some new people can take 10 posts just to get there first problem they are having across :(

GDIPlusDispose - A modified version of GDIPlus that auto disposes of its own objects before shutdown of the Dll using the same function Syntax as the original.EzMySql UDF - Use MySql Databases with autoit with syntax similar to SQLite UDF.

Hi and welcome to the forum, i'm sure it wont take long before you have 10 posts rather then allowing fresh accounts to spam everywhere

True enough, but if someone is really determined to spam, all the other forums are available for this purpose.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

@Zimmy,

Welcome here!

Just curious: what do you want to share with us?

@Admiral,

Funny, I just read the topic while you were probably in the process of changing your avatar. The old one appeared, but shrunk down to the size of the new one. That made you appear much, much smaller than you really are :(

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I have known about AutoIt for quite some time now, although this is my first time posting on the forum. This is also my first serious attempt at writing a script.

I wanted a command line utility that could retrieve the drive letter of a given hardware serial number which I could then copy into a variable for usage in my backup scripts. Since I could find no such thing, I turned to AutoIt and wrote my own. As I'm sure most of you know, the letter of USB removable/fixed drives can often change for various reasons. Initially I designed the script to work with volume labels/serial numbers instead since I knew of no way to retrieve the hardware serial number at the time, but these are unreliable as they will change after formatting. Then I found the functions generously provided by Janneman in this thread

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87919&st=0&p=631248&hl=serial&fromsearch=1&#entry631248

and I adapted my script. I noticed that this subject has come up a few time so I decided to share in case anyone else might find it useful.

I can't take full credit for the completed product since without these functions this would not even be possible, but I did write the rest of the script. I only had to tweak them slightly to fit my requirements. I'm sure it could probably be cleaned up a bit. I don't even use any of the exit codes for example so they could probably be removed, but it works as is and I'm not familiar enough with the functions so I won't risk breaking them. Usage of volume labels is probably redundant at this point, but it was part of the initial script so what the hell. It will retrieve the hardware serial numbers for fixed and removable drives. Card readers will not be detected if they do not contain media.

In order for this to work as intended it must be compiled as a console application. I intentionally kept the output simple when there are no errors to make parsing the result unnecessary when copying it into a variable.

Sorry if the indentation is bad, but since I'm totally blind it's difficult for me to visualize how it might look.

Usage is pretty straight forward.

HID [option] [target]

Options:

/? shows the help screen.

/LD <Label> Returns the drive letter of the specified volume label.

/SD <SerialNumber> Returns the drive letter of the specified hardware serial number.

/DL <DriveLetter> Returns the volume label of the specified drive letter (without colon).

/DS <DriveLetter> Returns the hardware serial number of the specified drive letter (without colon).

The result can be copied into a variable for usage in a batch script.

For example:

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('HID /SD 357196F34612') DO (SET DRIVE=%%A)

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: Retrieve changing drive letters by specified volume label or hardware serial number
 AutoIt Version: 3.3.6.0
 Author: Zimmy AKA Carlos

Credits go to janneman for sharing his useful functions.
Post #6 in this thread:
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87919&st=0&p=631248&hl=serial&fromsearch=1&#entry631248

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#NoTrayIcon
#NoAutoIt3Execute
Global $Result, $Target

If $CmdLineRaw = "" Then
    ConsoleWrite("No parameters specified."&@CRLF&"Type /? for help."&@CRLF)
    Exit 1
EndIf

If $CmdLine[0] = 2 Then $Target = $CmdLine[2]

If $CmdLine[1] = "/LD" Then
    If $Target = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Check the command line for errors."&@CRLF&"The /LD parameter should be proceeded by a drive label."&@CRLF&"Type /? for help."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
    $Drive = DriveGetDrive("ALL")
    For $L In $Drive
        $Label = DriveGetLabel($L)
        If $Label = $Target Then
            $Result = StringTrimRight($L, 1)
            $Result = StringUpper($Result)
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    If $Result = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("No drive letter with the specified label was found."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
ElseIf $CmdLine[1] = "/SD" Then
    If $Target = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Check the command line for errors."&@CRLF&"The /SD parameter should be proceeded by a hardware serial number."&@CRLF&"Type /? for help."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
    $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
    $Drive = DriveGetDrive("ALL")
    For $L In $Drive
        $DriveLetter = $L
        $diskno = GetDiskNo($DriveLetter)
        $serialno = GetSerial($diskno)
        If $serialno = $Target Then
            $Result = StringTrimRight($L, 1)
            $Result = StringUpper($Result)
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    If $Result = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("No drive letter with the specified hardware serial number was found."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
ElseIf $CmdLine[1] = "/DL" Then
    If $Target = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Check the command line for errors."&@CRLF&"The /DL parameter should be proceeded by a drive letter."&@CRLF&"Type /? for help."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
    If Not FileExists($Target&":") Then
        ConsoleWrite("Drive letter does not exist or contains no media."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
    $Result = DriveGetLabel($Target&":")
    If $Result = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("No label for the specified drive was found."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
ElseIf $CmdLine[1] = "/DS" Then
    If $Target = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Check the command line for errors."&@CRLF&"The /DS parameter should be proceeded by a drive letter."&@CRLF&"Type /? for help."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
    If Not FileExists($Target&":") Then
        ConsoleWrite("Drive letter does not exist or contains no media."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
    $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
    $DriveLetter = $Target&":"
    $diskno = GetDiskNo($DriveLetter)
    $serialno = GetSerial($diskno)
    $Result = $serialno
    If $Result = "" Then
        ConsoleWrite("No hardware serial number for the specified Drive was found."&@CRLF)
        Exit 1
    EndIf
ElseIf $CmdLine[1] = "/?" Then
    Help()
Else
    ConsoleWrite("Invalid option."&@CRLF&"Type /? for help."&@CRLF)
    Exit 1
EndIf
ConsoleWrite($Result&@CRLF)
Exit

Func Help()
    ConsoleWrite("HID version 1.0"&@CRLF&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("Program for retrieving information of a drive by specified label/letter/hardware serial number."&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("Author: Zimmy AKA Carlos, Apr, 2010"&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("Credits go to Janneman for sharing his useful functions at the AutoIt forums."&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("Post #6 in this thread:"&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87919&st=0&p=631248&hl=serial&fromsearch=1&#entry631248"&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("Usage:"&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("HID [option] [target]"&@CRLF&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("Options:"&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("/?      shows this help screen."&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("/LD <Label>      Returns the drive letter of the specified volume label."&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("/SD <SerialNumber>      Returns the drive letter of the specified hardware serial number."&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("/DL <DriveLetter>      Returns the volume label of the specified drive letter."&@CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("/DS <DriveLetter>      Returns the hardware serial number of the specified drive letter."&@CRLF)
EndFunc

Func GetDiskNo($DriveLetter)
    $colRows = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_LogicalDiskToPartition")
    For $row In $colRows
        $array = StringSplit($row.dependent, '"')
        if $array[0] < 2 Then ErrorExit("no dependent", 5)
        if $DriveLetter = $array[2] Then
            $i = StringInStr($row.antecedent, "Disk #")
            if $i = 0 Then  ErrorExit("antecdent - unexpected format", 6)
            $j = StringInStr($row.antecedent, ",", 0, 1, $i)
            if $j = 0 Then  ErrorExit("antecdent - unexpected format (2)", 7)
            $diskno = StringMid($row.antecedent, $i + 6, $j - $i - 6)
            return $diskno
        EndIf
    Next
    return -1
EndFunc

Func GetSerial($diskno)
    $colRows = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_DiskDrive WHERE Index = " & $diskno)
    For $row In $colRows
        if StringLeft($row.PNPDeviceID, 3) <> "USB" Then
            return GetSerialNonUsb($diskno)
        EndIf
        $array = StringSplit($row.PNPDeviceID, '\')
        $i = $array[0]
        if $i < 1 Then  ErrorExit("PNPDeviceID, unexpected format", 8)
        $serno = $array[$i]
        $i = StringInStr($serno, '&')
        if $i > 0 Then
            $serno = StringLeft($serno, $i - 1)
        EndIf
        if StringLen($serno) < 3 Then
            ; If the device doesn't have a serial number, windows manufactures a unique ID that the above code will parse as a 1 digit number. Admit defeat rather than mislead.
            $serno = ""
        EndIf
        return $serno
    Next
    return ""
EndFunc

Func GetSerialNonUsb($diskno)
    $colRows = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_PhysicalMedia WHERE Tag = '\\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE" & $diskno &"'")
    For $row In $colRows
        $serno = StringStripWS($row.SerialNumber, 3)
        return $serno
    Next
    return ""
EndFunc
Edited by Zimmy

@Admiral,

Funny, I just read the topic while you were probably in the process of changing your avatar. The old one appeared, but shrunk down to the size of the new one. That made you appear much, much smaller than you really are :)

Yeah I saw that too, it's because the new pic has a different aspect ratio than the one your browser had cached. But that aside, it's a nice avatar, isn't it? I stole it right from the SDL website :(

Maybe I should crop out the smaller text, it's not readable on the avatar anyway.

Stealing logos? Gonna end to jail buddy!

Zimmy,

Congratulations, that's pretty impressive for a start, especially given your blindness. I hope more people could follow your tracks.

Welcome again and kudos.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Zimmy,

Congratulations, that's pretty impressive for a start, especially given your blindness. I hope more people could follow your tracks.

Thanks. In a couple of days when I have enough posts I will move it to the examples forum.