#RequireAdmin vs. ...ExecutionLevel=RequireAdministrator

I'm compiling scripts with the #RequireAdmin and #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=RequireAdministrator options.

My system is running Windows 7 with UAC enabled, and my ID in the local Administrators group, and I've been recompiling SvenP's Scriptomatic.au3.

With neither option set or ExecutionLevel set to asInvoker, the script simply doesn't work - understood.

With ExecutionLevel set to either HighestAvailable or RequireAdministrator the script works, and the EXE's icon has an Administrator Shield overlayed on it.

However, with #RequireAdmin directive (on the first line of the script) and ExecutionLevel set to None (no directive), the script executes fine, but the EXE has no overlay on the icon.

I've read elsewhere that scripts compiled with ExecutionLevel set to highestAvailable or requireAdministrator delay when you click on a shortcut to the program, and have experienced it myself although I can't reproduce it now.

I thought that the icon overlay wasn't showing up because of compression (not UPX), but that wasn't it.

So the questions are why does requestedExecutionLevel=requireAdministrator have the icon overlay but #RequireAdmin doesn't, and are there any other differences between #RequireAdmin and #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=RequireAdministrator? Is it just the handling of the icon? Is using both redundant?

Thanks.

Jerry

#RequireAdmin is intended for scripts run by AutoIt.

If you are compiling then you should use wrapper directive. It will add RT_MANIFEST resource to your executable. Explorer will read that and show additional shield icon over exe's icon.

Ahhh, of course! Thanks trancexx.