AutoIt3's future: Embedded ActiveX !

SvenP

For those who are curious: I will "raise a corner of the veil" about the new developments in AutoIt3 scripting:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

$oIE = ObjCreate("Shell.Explorer.2")

GUICreate ( "Embedded Web control Test", 640, 480 )
$GUIActiveX=GUICtrlCreateActiveX ( $oIE, 10, 10 , 500 , 400 )
GUISetState ()

$oIE.navigate("http://www.autoitscript.com")

While 1
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
   If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then ExitLoop
Wend

GUIDelete ()

Exit

This code actually works in my 'alpha' version of AutoIt3: Embedded ActiveX controls in GUI's WITHOUT the need of external DLL's.

Any control can be used, even VB's Forms 2.0 controls.

A screenshot from the script above:

Please no questions about this feature yet. It won't be included in AutoIt3 before all work on the current beta release is done.

When you all help us to test the current beta, then it might speed up the developments for the next version ;-)

Regards,

-Sven

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, :(

Where the name ActiveX come from?

could be a confusion with windows ActiveX or Not ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm assuming it's Windows ActiveX which enables controls embedded into browsers... Don't think theres any confusion :(
FootbaG

Guys,

I guess I have to stop this ActiveX development.

Because using this feature I have obtained access to Microsoft's FORMS 2.0 designer mode WITHIN AutoIt3 script:

I can also add Forms 2.0 controls like Buttons, Checkboxes, Spinbuttons, etc.

Event-handling is also possible on each control (MouseMove, MouseClick, etc.)

I am really sure that jpm will not like these things, because it could make his years work on AutoIt's GUI obsolete within a few days.

And not to mention the great work CyberSlug did on his AutoBuilder.

This is the AutoIt script for creating the screenshot above.

AutoIt_Forms2.0.au3

It was a nice experiment, but it makes AutoIt look more like a programming language than a scripting language. That is not according to Jon's intention.

-Sven

It was a nice experiment, but it makes AutoIt look more like a programming language than a scripting language. That is not according to Jon's intention. 

-Sven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see why this would be a problem, unless we were forced to use it instead of the existing GUI functions.

Aside from the normal debugging/testing/fine tuning, I doubt you added anything that would break existing scripts, or render useless anyone's work. Not everyone understands COM (I sure don't), or even have the time or patience to sit down and learn it.

I'd much rather Have it and not need it, then Need it and not have it.

[u]Do more with pre-existing apps![/u]ANYGUIv2.8

because it could make his years work on AutoIt's GUI obsolete within a few days.

Don't think so. It's looks like appearing of DllCall make obsolete half of Autoit functions! Yes, I can make many things with it, but it's much simpler to use just one simple Autoit function. The same with this control: current GUI works on any windows without any additional libraries, it's have convenient and simple controls handling, and much more understandable for newbies than working with COM controls. I see main goal of this control is only handling complex needs like browser control and so. Very pity if we will be deprived this :(

Just my two coins.

Edited by Lazycat

Yea, I was thinking the same thing... We can't just "let this go"... This is a big oppertunity, why don't we look into it a little more rather then just saying, forget about it. Or maybe even just halt it until the dev's can get more time on there hands, we have to respect their lives too you know! :(

FootbaG