Messed up RDP session

TFS

I use RDP to login to a server that has Windows Server 2003, and then run unattended AutoIt scripts for hours. AutoIt is installed on server and all the action happens inside the RDP session. Once in awhile, the RDP session is messed up or corrupted. When I try to open any item from desktop it will open "Properties" for that item, same when I try the shortcuts from quick launch. The only way to bring that RDP back to normal is by logging out and back again. I have two servers with Server 2003 and multiple users (6 per server) that run the unattended scripts, and the above scenario happens daily and randomly. I can't identify the cause for this behaviour and I think there is some interraction between the RDP session and AutoIt to trigger it. Both servers run AutoIt v3.2.4.9. There is nothing in the server's logs, I have no clue on how to solve this. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

I use RDP to login to a server that has Windows Server 2003, and then run unattended AutoIt scripts for hours. AutoIt is installed on server and all the action happens inside the RDP session. Once in awhile, the RDP session is messed up or corrupted. When I try to open any item from desktop it will open "Properties" for that item, same when I try the shortcuts from quick launch. The only way to bring that RDP back to normal is by logging out and back again. I have two servers with Server 2003 and multiple users (6 per server) that run the unattended scripts, and the above scenario happens daily and randomly. I can't identify the cause for this behaviour and I think there is some interraction between the RDP session and AutoIt to trigger it. Both servers run AutoIt v3.2.4.9. There is nothing in the server's logs, I have no clue on how to solve this. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Does it actually open the "properties" window or is it opening the sub menu as if you had right clicked the item?

I've seen issues before where after running an AutoIT script either from the Scite Environment or a compiled .exe that it will lock or hold down the CTRL or ALT key, so when click it's multi selecting.

The script just doesn't work at it should be with the application that is testing. Ex: it's supposed to select an item from a list but it gets stuck on that control. This is when I stop all running AutoIt scripts, then manually try to continue, but the RDP session is corrupted. I try to open MyComputer using the icon on the Desktop (double click with left mouse button), but it opens Properties window, same like when right click and select Properties. If I click on a shortcut on Quick Launch (mouse left click), it opens the Properties of that shortcut. Windows doesn't react as it should

The script just doesn't work at it should be with the application that is testing. Ex: it's supposed to select an item from a list but it gets stuck on that control. This is when I stop all running AutoIt scripts, then manually try to continue, but the RDP session is corrupted. I try to open MyComputer using the icon on the Desktop (double click with left mouse button), but it opens Properties window, same like when right click and select Properties. If I click on a shortcut on Quick Launch (mouse left click), it opens the Properties of that shortcut. Windows doesn't react as it should

Without seeing any code, I can't offer much help, but from what you've written, my guess is that the script is halting with a Send() key down and that's what's jamming you up. Why don't you try writing the scripts on a local machine, testing them there, make sure they're exactly right and then moving them over? It sounds like they're bugged and need maintenance. Are you running these as an executable or out of the development (Scite) environment?

Without seeing any code, I can't offer much help, but from what you've written, my guess is that the script is halting with a Send() key down and that's what's jamming you up. Why don't you try writing the scripts on a local machine, testing them there, make sure they're exactly right and then moving them over? It sounds like they're bugged and need maintenance. Are you running these as an executable or out of the development (Scite) environment?

The scripts run OK on local and on server. I am running .au3 scripts and I have SciTe available on the server. For same user it may fail once in 4 days, but for so many users I have at least one every day. These scripts did run OK for several years and the problems started just recently. The application's environment evolved, we use DotNet and SLQ Server and we upgraded them as they were released. This is why I blame the interraction between AutoIt and the app.

Maybe Zedna is right, Shift could be locked down. I may happen trough some error, is not coded like that.

Thanks for suggestions.

I found out it is Alt key that's getting stuck down. I still can't identify the line that triggers it, it may be something like this:

Send("!n")

Send("!n")

Send("+{HOME}{DELETE}")

and combined with the machine's response it results in a stuck Alt key. Some sleep time between commands should do it.

Thanks for suggestions.

I found out it is Alt key that's getting stuck down. I still can't identify the line that triggers it, it may be something like this:

Send("!n")

Send("!n")

Send("+{HOME}{DELETE}")

and combined with the machine's response it results in a stuck Alt key. Some sleep time between commands should do it.

I work for a web hosting company and unfortunately there have been patches released from MS that have reset/re-enabled some MS features/services. It is possible that the default settings you might originally configured have now been reset back to MS default settings. I would be sure to check custom settings as well...fyi