StringSize - M23 - BugFix version 27 Dec 23

Melba23

I am using StringSize() to set the size of a GUI dynamically, depending on the text in a read-only edit control.

It works with the default Font and Font Size, but I have found out that the font is actually MS Shell Dlg. This is on Windows 7.

Why did you choose Tahoma 8.5 pt ? Perhaps this is because your experience is that choosing this combination, with a bit of padding, always works. I understand that the font and size depend on the Windows version, the resolution of the monitor, and probably other factors.

Later  Kafu has kindly provided a UDF written by Kafu and ProgAndy, so I can specify the font and size more precisely to StringSize().

Edited by c.haslam
Spoiler

CDebug Dumps values of variables including arrays and DLL structs, to a GUI, to the Console, and to the Clipboard

• 2 months later...

Hi @Melba23

I'm trying to use the _StringSize() function to get dimensions to create a RichEdit control, but something goes wrong with the RichEdit.
with a normal Label control Instead It's all ok.
How can I use _StringSize() correctly also with the RichEdit control?
Thanks in advance for any hint

here is my attempt

#include <GuiRichEdit.au3>
#include "StringSize.au3"

; sample text 40 chars by 30 lines
Local $text = "         1         2         3         4" & @CRLF & _
        "1234567890123456789012345678901234567890" & @CRLF & "----------------------------------------" & @CRLF & _
        "4" & @CRLF & "5" & @CRLF & "6" & @CRLF & "7" & @CRLF & "9" & @CRLF & "10" & @CRLF & "11" & @CRLF & _
        "12" & @CRLF & "13" & @CRLF & "14" & @CRLF & "15" & @CRLF & "16" & @CRLF & "17" & @CRLF & "18" & @CRLF & _
        "19" & @CRLF & "20" & @CRLF & "21" & @CRLF & "22" & @CRLF & "23" & @CRLF & "24" & @CRLF & "25" & @CRLF & _
        "26" & @CRLF & "27" & @CRLF & "28" & @CRLF & "29" & @CRLF & "30"

Local $iFontSize = 12
Local $sFontName = "Courier New"
Local $iWeight = 400 ; normal

Local $aSize = _StringSize($text, $iFontSize, $iWeight, 0, $sFontName) ; get required sizes

Local $hGui = GUICreate("RichEdit test", $aSize[2] + 20, $aSize[3] + 20) ; creates a gui slightly larger of the control

#cs ; -- In a normal Label control, text fits like a sharm
    GUICtrlCreateLabel($text, 10, 10, $aSize[2], $aSize[3])
    GUICtrlSetFont(-1, $iFontSize, $iWeight, 0, $sFontName)
    GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x80FF80)
#ce

; a RichEdit control, doesn't fit well instead
Local $hRichEdit1 = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, $text, 10, 10, $aSize[2], $aSize[3], BitXOR($ES_READONLY, $ES_MULTILINE))
_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit1, 0, -1, True) ; select all content
_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetFont($hRichEdit1, $iFontSize, $sFontName) ; and set Font

GUISetState()

MsgBox(0, "Pause", "click OK to end")

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

Local $aSize2 = _StringSize(" ", $iFontSize, $iWeight, 0, $sFontName)
for $i = 0 to 3
$aSize[$i] += $aSize2[$i]
Next

I believe this would work as a workaround

Reading through MSDN I found this

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/bb761596

Under certain conditions, EM_GETRECT might not return the exact values that EM_SETRECT or EM_SETRECTNP set—it will be approximately correct, but it can be off by a few pixels.

Rich Edit: Supported in Microsoft Rich Edit 1.0 and later. The formatting rectangle does not include the selection bar, which is an unmarked area to the left of each paragraph. When clicked, the selection bar selects the line. For information about the compatibility of rich edit versions with the various system versions, see About Rich Edit Controls.

Hi @Bilgus

your fix works very well (at least with a monospaced font)
but It fails anyway with some font widths (11, 17 for example)
Since seems  that the "problem" affects only the width, I just 'corrected' element [2] of the returned array
Many thanks for your 'workaround' and the explanation. very appreciated :)
Here is the 'patched' snippet

#include <GuiRichEdit.au3>

; sample text a square 40 chars by 31 lines
Local $text = "         1         2         3         4" & @CRLF & _
        "1234567890123456789012345678901234567890" & @CRLF & "+--------------------------------------+" & @CRLF
        For $i = 4 to 30
            $text &=  "| " & StringFormat("% 2s", $i) & "                                   |" & @CRLF
        Next
         $text &= "+ 31 ----------------------------------+"

Local $iFontSize = 12
Local $sFontName = "Courier New"
Local $iWeight = 400 ; normal

Local $aSize = _StringSize($text, $iFontSize, $iWeight, 0, $sFontName) ; get required sizes

; workaround by Bilgus (thank you) see his notes in post #64
Local $aSize2 = _StringSize(" ", $iFontSize, $iWeight, 0, $sFontName) ; get width of a single char
$aSize[2] +=  $aSize2[2] ; increase horizontal dimension by the width of 1 char

Local $hGui = GUICreate("RichEdit test", $aSize[2] + 20, $aSize[3] + 20) ; creates a gui slightly larger of the control

; a RichEdit control now fit well thanks to Bilgus's workaround
Local $hRichEdit1 = _GUICtrlRichEdit_Create($hGui, $text, 10, 10, $aSize[2], $aSize[3], BitXOR($ES_READONLY, $ES_MULTILINE))
_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetSel($hRichEdit1, 0, -1, True) ; select all content
_GUICtrlRichEdit_SetFont($hRichEdit1, $iFontSize, $sFontName) ; and set Font

GUISetState()

MsgBox(0, "Pause", "click OK to end")

Edited by Chimp
there are 31 lines not 30

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

• 3 months later...

Hei @Melba23, i'm using your UDF to center my rich edit txts, the problem is that i have different font types and sizes, how could i deal with it? to center it, it only works with equal font sizes.

I'm using this UDF too:

For example, center the text of the preview:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GUIEdit.au3>
#include <ComboConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

#include "GUIRichLabel.au3"

Global $iLast_Focused_Ctrl = 0
Global $iEdit_Changed = 0

$hGUI = GUICreate("Formatted Labels Editor", 650, 400)

#Region Formate text panel

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Size:", 10, 8, -1, 15)
$nSize_Combo = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 40, 5, 80, 20, BitOr($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_COMBO, $CBS_DROPDOWNLIST))
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "None|8|8.5|9|10|11|12|14|16|18|20|22|24|26|28|36|48|72", "None")

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Attrib:", 10, 33, -1, 15)
$nAttrib_Combo = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 40, 30, 155, 20, BitOr($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_COMBO, $CBS_DROPDOWNLIST))
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "None|bold|italic|underline|strike|bold+italic+underline+strike|bold+italic+underline|bold+italic|bold+underline|bold+strike|italic+underline+strike|italic+underline|italic+strike|underline+strike", "None")

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Name:", 230, 15, 50, 15)
$nName_Combo = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 230, 30, 160, 20, BitOr($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_COMBO, $CBS_DROPDOWNLIST))
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "None|Arial|Comic Sans Ms|Tahoma|Times|Georgia|Lucida Sans Unicode|Verdana|Times New Roman|Courier New", "None")

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Color:", 425, 15, 50, 15)
$nColor_Combo = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 425, 30, 90, 20, BitOr($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_COMBO, $CBS_DROPDOWNLIST))
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "None|Red|Green|Blue|Yellow|Orange|Gray|Brown|White", "None")

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Bk Color:", 550, 15, 50, 15)
$nBkColor_Combo = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 550, 30, 90, 20, BitOr($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_COMBO, $CBS_DROPDOWNLIST))
GUICtrlSetData(-1, "None|Red|Green|Blue|Yellow|Orange|Gray|Brown|White", "None")

#EndRegion Formate text panel

GUICtrlCreateGroup("Select text and then select the formatting parameters from the above panel:", 10, 60, 630, 150)

$nSrcText_Edit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 20, 80, 610, 120)

GUICtrlCreateGroup("Preview:", 10, 230, 630, 130)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 800)

$nClose_Button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Close", 10, 370, 60, 20)
$nCopy_Button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Copy", 90, 370, 60, 20)

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()

Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $nClose_Button
            Exit
        Case $nSize_Combo, $nAttrib_Combo, $nName_Combo, $nColor_Combo, $nBkColor_Combo
            $iLast_Focused_Ctrl = $nMsg

Local $sParam = StringLower(StringRegExpReplace(GUICtrlRead($nMsg - 1), '\h+|:', ''))
            Local $sValue = GUICtrlRead($nMsg)

_SetFormattedText_Proc($sParam, $sValue)
        Case $nCopy_Button
            Local $sText = GUICtrlRead($nSrcText_Edit)

If $sText <> "" Then
                ClipPut($sText)
            EndIf
    EndSwitch

If $iEdit_Changed Then
        _GUICtrlRichLabel_Destroy(-1)
        _GUICtrlRichLabel_Create($hGUI, GUICtrlRead($nSrcText_Edit), 20, 245, 610, 110)

If $iEdit_Changed = 1 Then
            GUICtrlSetState($nSrcText_Edit, $GUI_FOCUS)
        Else
            GUICtrlSetState($iLast_Focused_Ctrl, $GUI_FOCUS)
        EndIf

$iEdit_Changed = 0
    EndIf
WEnd

Func _SetFormattedText_Proc($sParam, $sValue)
    If $sParam = "attrib" And Not StringRegExp($sValue, '(?i)\A(None)?\z') Then
        Local $aSplit = StringSplit($sValue, "+")
        $sValue = ""

For $i = 1 To $aSplit[0]
            $sValue &= StringLeft($aSplit[$i], 1)

If $i < $aSplit[0] Then
                $sValue &= "+"
            EndIf
        Next
    EndIf

Local $sSelectionData = ControlCommand($hGUI, "", $nSrcText_Edit, "GetSelected")
    Local $sAddParamValue = ' ' & $sParam & '="' & $sValue & '"'

If $sSelectionData = '' Then
        Return
    EndIf

If StringRegExp($sSelectionData, '(?i)<font.*>.*</font>') Then
        $sSelectionData = StringRegExpReplace($sSelectionData, '(?i)(<font.*)( ' & $sParam & '=".*?")(.*>.*</font>)', '\1\3')

If Not StringRegExp($sValue, '(?i)\A(None)?\z') Then
            $sSelectionData = StringRegExpReplace($sSelectionData, '(?i)(<font.*)(>.*</font>)', '\1' & $sAddParamValue & '\2')
        EndIf

If StringRegExp($sSelectionData, '(?i)<font\h*>.*</font>') Then
            $sSelectionData = StringRegExpReplace($sSelectionData, '(?i)<font.*>(.*)</font>', '\1')
        EndIf
    ElseIf $sAddParamValue <> '' Then
        $sSelectionData = '<font' & $sAddParamValue & '>' & $sSelectionData & '</font>'
    EndIf

Local $iStart, $iEnd

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "")

_GUICtrlEdit_ReplaceSel($nSrcText_Edit, $sSelectionData)
    $iStart = StringInStr(GUICtrlRead($nSrcText_Edit), $sSelectionData)-1
    $iEnd = $iStart + StringLen($sSelectionData)
    GUICtrlSendMsg($nSrcText_Edit, $EM_SETSEL, $iStart, $iEnd)

$iEdit_Changed = 2
    GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")
EndFunc

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $nMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    Local $nNotifyCode = BitShift($wParam, 16)
    Local $nID = BitAND($wParam, 0xFFFF)
    Local $hCtrl = $lParam

Switch $nID
        Case $nSrcText_Edit
            Switch $nNotifyCode
                Case $EN_UPDATE
                    $iEdit_Changed = 1
            EndSwitch
    EndSwitch

Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc

Edited by x_bennY

• 6 months later...

Hi Melba23, I was just testing your StringSize.au3 for use in making a small DebugMessageBox and threw some junk strings at and broke your UDF.

Apparently it will crash on a continuous string without breaks and throws a:

"==> Subscript used on non-accessible variable

GUICtrlCreateLabel($aSize[0], 10, 90, $aSize[2], $aSize[3])
GUICtrlCreateLabel($aSize^ ERROR"

$sText = " IamaverylonglineandIamnotformattedinanywaysothatIwillnotfitwithinthewidthoftheGUIthatsurroundsme!"

Throw the above string at it. Maybe a catch to break the string if no <space> occurs with width limits.

P.S. It's is a well written UDF, and thank for all your hard work.

"Writing code to carry out an intended set of tasks is relatively easy.
Writing code to carry out ONLY an intended set of tasks, well that can be a little more challenging."

Alex Maddern

• Moderators

Spinwiz,

Maybe a catch to break the string if no <space> occurs with width limits

There is already one in there - you should get @error set to 3 if "Font too large for chosen max width - a word will not fit" and the UDF then returns 0. So if you are trying to use the elements of a non-existent array in your label I return the compliment and suggest you need a catch in your code to check for a valid return value:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

; This will not fit
$sText = " IamaverylonglineandIamnotformattedinanywaysothatIwillnotfitwithinthewidthoftheGUIthatsurroundsme!"

$vRet = _StringSize($sText, Default, Default, Default, Default, 100) ; Set small $iWidth value
$iError = @error ; And we get an error!
If @error Then
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "UDF Return", $vRet & @CRLF & @CRLF & $iError)
Else
    _ArrayDisplay($vRet, "UDF Success", Default, 8)
EndIf

; This will fit
$sText = " I am a very long line and I am formatted so that I will fit within the width of the GUI that surrounds me!"

$vRet = _StringSize($sText, Default, Default, Default, Default, 100) ; Set small $iWidth value
$iError = @error ; And we do not!
If @error Then
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "UDF Return", $vRet & @CRLF & @CRLF & $iError)
Else
    _ArrayDisplay($vRet, "UDF Success", Default, 8)
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Formatted Text", $vRet[0])
EndIf

M23

Edited by Melba23
Machine posted before I was ready!

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Thanks Melba32, that was my next step.. To catch and break up an unusually long strings before sending them to the function. I'm perusing the most efficient way for that atm. Its a bit of a catch 22 working out the Max points length of the string section without using the function to get the correct max length :s other than sending multiple samples to build up to an appropriate length. I let it buzz around in my head for a while and let you know what I come up with :)

Writing code to carry out ONLY an intended set of tasks, well that can be a little more challenging."

Alex Maddern

Nah, its looks like catch 22. I can't see a way to get required lengths of an unformatted text string outside of the Func without without adding one char at a time until it errors.

I think it would be far more efficient to break up long unbroken strings within the func, even an input flag for that case. The output wouldn't be pretty in such cases, but at least it wouldn't error and still produce an output. The other alternative is we can never seam to be able to pass any large word to the function if the width is set to low.

Maybe I am wrong and I'm missing something here and if so I apologize.

Alternatively as a question how would I predict the required "$iWidth  - [optional] Max width for rectangle - (default = 0 => width of original string)" of a long word in an unknown string?

Edited by Spinwiz
Correction to unformatted

Alex Maddern

• Moderators

Spinwiz,

I think it would be far more efficient to break up long unbroken strings within the func, even an input flag for that case

I am sure you will appreciate that I do not share that opinion. The UDF returns the size of control required to fit a given string and, if requested, format the string using existing spacing to fit within a specific width. I do not see it as the task of the UDF to break long strings - if the user thinks that these might occur in the text then they need to do the necessary "hyphenation" beforehand as only they can determine exactly what form of break is appropriate.

how would I predict the required "$iWidth  - [...]" of a long word in an unknown string?

Simple. Split the string into "words" using StringSplit or a RegEx, then use the UDF on each word to determine the longest:

#include <Array.au3>

; Here is a line with a long "word"
$sText = "I am a very long line and IamnotformattedinanywaysothatIwillnotfitwithinthewidthoftheGUI that surrounds me!"

; Split the line into "words"
$aWords = StringSplit($sText, " ")
; Just to show what we get
_ArrayDisplay($aWords, "", Default, 8)

; Now loop through the "words" to find the longest
$iMaxWidth = 0
For $i = 1 To $aWords[0]
    ; Call the function and do NOT set a $iWidth value
    $vRet = _StringSize($aWords[$i])

; If no error then check if width is greater then the current maximum
    If Not @error Then
        If $vRet[2] > $iMaxWidth Then
            $iMaxWidth = $vRet[2]
            ConsoleWrite("Max width: " & $iMaxWidth & " - word: " & $aWords[$i] & @CRLF)
        EndIf
    EndIf
Next

; Now you have the max width required and can format the whole line
; Note it is a good idea to add a bit of a buffer to prevent any rounding error within the UDF
$vRet = _StringSize($sText, Default, Default, Default, Default, $iMaxWidth + 10)
If Not @error Then
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Formatted", $vRet[0])
Else
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", @error)
EndIf

All clear?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Thanks Melba23, I see your method is workable :), as I said , would have to split the strings at a bit of an inside safe guess and creep up on it in a width constrained usage.

20 hours ago, Spinwiz said:

I can't see a way to get required lengths of an unformatted text string outside of the Func without without adding one char at a time until it errors.

I'm not going to ask you to modify, nor will I modify your UDF... I was rolling my own until until I encountered your UDF, so no stress, I'm back to rolling my own =)

Getting the correct string/font conversions using recommended MSDN methods (GetTextExtentPoint32W, GetDeviceCaps, GetTextExtentExPointW, Etc.)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/gdi/string-widths-and-heights

All appear to give overstated or inaccurate results in testing the length of a a sample string. You've been through multiple methods upon your way to StringSize and Its been a traditionally problematic issue. I did a work around in C a few years back, so I'll take a look at that, or maybe I can get a more accurate result in WinAPI Directly, and I'm Trying few "Outside of the box" ideas at the moment. I enjoy a challenge, so I'm out to try n nail this one down my myself lol. I'll let you know if get anything worthy =)

Alex Maddern

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to prevent words wrapping with any random string? I have the code below that try to fit a random multi line string to a label control.

$sString = 'Take this kiss upon the brow!' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'And, in parting from you now,' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'Thus much let me avow —' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'You are not wrong, who deem' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'That my days have been a dream;' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'Yet if hope has flown away' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'In a night, or in a day,' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'In a vision, or in none,' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'Is it therefore the less gone?' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'All that we see or seem' & @CRLF
$sString &= 'Is but a dream within a dream.'

$hMain = GUICreate('Test', @DesktopWidth, @DesktopHeight, 0, 0, 0x80000000)
GUISetBkColor(0x000000, $hMain)
$cLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sString, 20, 20, @DesktopWidth - 40, @DesktopHeight - 40, 0x01)
GUICtrlSetColor($cLabel, 0xFFFFFF)
DisplayText($cLabel, $sString)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMain)

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

Func DisplayText($cLabel, $sText, $sFont = 'Arial', $iWeight = 400, $iAttrib = 0, $MinFontSize = 10, $MaxFontSize = 200)
    Local $aSize
    For $iFontSize = $MinFontSize To $MaxFontSize
        $aSize = _StringSize($sText, $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont, @DesktopWidth - 40)
        If $aSize[3] > @DesktopHeight - 40 Then ExitLoop
    Next
    $iFontSize -= 1
    $aSize = _StringSize($sText, $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont, @DesktopWidth - 40)
    GUICtrlSetData($cLabel, $sText)
    GUICtrlSetFont($cLabel, $iFontSize - 1, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)
    GUICtrlSetPos($cLabel, 20, 20 + Int((@DesktopHeight - $aSize[3] - 40) / 2) , @DesktopWidth - 40, $aSize[3])
EndFunc

For this certain example things works quite well but if I comment few lines of $sString, like below, I see that text is wrapped.

;~ $sString &= 'Thus much let me avow —' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'You are not wrong, who deem' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'That my days have been a dream;' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'Yet if hope has flown away' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'In a night, or in a day,' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'In a vision, or in none,' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'Is it therefore the less gone?' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'All that we see or seem' & @CRLF

The result is like picture below (if I divide $aSize[3] / $aSize[1] results in 6 lines because the text is wrapped) and things become messier when I try different fonts like Sitka Text where the result is partially wrapped the $aSize[3] / $aSize[1] results in 5 lines when just 4 are required. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I forgot the say that my screen resolution is 1920x1080.

Edited by Andreik

When the words fail... music speaks.

• Moderators

Andreik,

Your code increases the size of the font and checks the total height of the text is less that the limit you set. When you have many lines in the text the limit height is met when no line is wider then the label width - and so everything fits. However, when you only have a small number of lines, you can wrap the text - increasing the number of lines - but still not reach the limit height. This modified version of your script shows what happens quite well:

;~ $sString &= 'Thus much let me avow —' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'You are not wrong, who deem' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'That my days have been a dream;' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'Yet if hope has flown away' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'In a night, or in a day,' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'In a vision, or in none,' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'Is it therefore the less gone?' & @CRLF
;~ $sString &= 'All that we see or seem' & @CRLF

$cLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sString, 20, 20, @DesktopWidth - 40, @DesktopHeight - 40, 0x01)
GUICtrlSetBkColor($cLabel, 0xFF0000) ; Colour the label to show the height increasing

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

Func DisplayText($cLabel, $sText, $sFont = 'Arial', $iWeight = 400, $iAttrib = 0, $MinFontSize = 10, $MaxFontSize = 200)
    Local $aSize, $iFS1, $iFS2
        If $aSize[3] > @DesktopHeight - 40 Then ExitLoop
        ;Next
        ;$iFontSize -= 1
        GUICtrlSetPos($cLabel, 20, 20 + Int((@DesktopHeight - $aSize[3] - 40) / 2), @DesktopWidth - 40, $aSize[3])
        Sleep(250)
    Next
EndFunc   ;==>DisplayText

So if you want to prevent the text from wrapping, you will have to test each line separately to find the maximum font size to fit into the limit width - something like this:

#include <StringConstants.au3>

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Exit")
Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Exit

GUICtrlSetBkColor($cLabel, 0xFF0000)

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

Local $iMaxFontUsable = $MaxFontSize

Local $aLines = StringSplit($sText, @CRLF, $STR_ENTIRESPLIT)

For $i = 1 To $aLines[0]
        ConsoleWrite("Line: " & $i & @CRLF)
        ; Check each line
            ; Check width of string for each font size
            $aSize = _StringSize($aLines[$i], $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont) ; Do NOT set width
            ; If string is too wide
            If $aSize[2] > @DesktopWidth - 40 Then
                ; Set max usable font size based on this string
                If $iFontSize - 1 < $iMaxFontUsable Then
                    ; Is it smaller than before?
                    $iMaxFontUsable = $iFontSize - 1
                    ConsoleWrite("Max font size: " & $iMaxFontUsable & @CRLF)
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            EndIf
        Next
    Next

; Now get size of entire text at that font size
    $aSize = _StringSize($sText, $iMaxFontUsable, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)

GUICtrlSetFont($cLabel, $iMaxFontUsable, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)
    GUICtrlSetPos($cLabel, 20, 20 + Int((@DesktopHeight - $aSize[3] - 40) / 2), @DesktopWidth - 40, $aSize[3])

Which gives you no wrapped lines in the biggest font which will allow this.  But you can see that it takes some time to do this - I will see if I can speed things up a bit.

M23

Edit: And here is a much speedier version - I think the comments are self-explanatory:

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Exit

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

; Check for max font for first line
        $aSize = _StringSize($aLines[1], $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont) ; Do NOT set width
        ; If string is too wide
            ; Set largest font possible
            ConsoleWrite("Line 1 max font size: " & $iMaxFontUsable & @CRLF)
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next

; Now check if other lines fit using the same size and reduce it if required
    For $i = 2 To $aLines[0]
        ConsoleWrite("Line: " & $i & @CRLF)
        ; Check each line starting with current max size
        For $iFontSize = $iMaxFontUsable To $MinFontSize Step -1
            $aSize = _StringSize($aLines[$i], $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont) ; Do NOT set width

If $aSize[2] < @DesktopWidth - 40 Then
                ; If string fits in the width no need to look further
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        Next

; We now have to check the max font size required for this line
        If $iFontSize < $iMaxFontUsable Then
            ConsoleWrite("Line " & $i & " gives new max font size: " & $iMaxFontUsable & @CRLF)
        EndIf

Next

GUICtrlSetFont($cLabel, $iMaxFontUsable, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)

Edited by Melba23
Added much faster algorithm

Spoiler

Thanks for the examples Melba. The lines are ensured to be visible without wrapping but the I think that a final check is needed also a ensure that all lines are visible with the current font size. This is what I get on my screen at 1920x1080.

PS: to avoid nested loops in the above script I think you can loop fast through all lines and check for the longest line and then measure the required width for this single line.

Based on your code, this is what I ended up with:

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Exit

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

Local $LongestLine
    For $i = 1 To $aLines[0]
        $LongestLine = StringLen($aLines[$i]) > StringLen($LongestLine) ? $aLines[$i] : $LongestLine
    Next
        ; Check the longest line
            $aSize = _StringSize($LongestLine, $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont) ; Do NOT set width
            ; If string is too wide
                ; Set max usable font size based on this string
                If $iFontSize - 1 < $iMaxFontUsable Then
                    ConsoleWrite("Max font size: " & $iMaxFontUsable & @CRLF)
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            EndIf
        Next

If $aSize[3] > @DesktopHeight - 40 Then
        For $iFontSize = $iMaxFontUsable To $MinFontSize Step -1
            $aSize = _StringSize($sText, $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)
            If $aSize[3] < @DesktopHeight - 40 Then ExitLoop
        Next
    EndIf

GUICtrlSetFont($cLabel, $iFontSize-1, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)

Edited by Andreik

• Moderators

Andreik,

Good idea to check for the total height - it all fitted in my screen and so it did not occur to me.

Be careful with your "longest line check" - it will not necessarily work for proportional fonts as the combined widths of the individual characters determine the line length, not the absolute number of them.

M23

Spoiler

Well, I already figured it out that it's not the best approach when I saw that a word is missing from one line but this should be a trivial issue. 🤪

Thanks for help.

EDIT: final script, just in case someone else is looking for an answer

$sString = ClipGet()

$cLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sString, 40, 40, @DesktopWidth - 40, @DesktopHeight - 40, 0x01)
DisplayText($hMain, $cLabel, $sString)

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

Func DisplayText($hMain, $cLabel, $sText, $sFont = 'Arial', $iWeight = 400, $iAttrib = 0, $iMinFontSize = 10, $iMaxFontSize = 200)
    Local $aSize
    Local $Position = ControlGetPos($hMain, '', $cLabel)
    Local $iMaxFont = $iMaxFontSize
    Local $aLines = StringSplit($sText, @CRLF, 1)
    For $iFontSize = $iMinFontSize To $iMaxFontSize
        $aSize = _StringSize($aLines[1], $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)
        If $aSize[2] > $Position[2] Then
            $iMaxFont = $iFontSize - 1
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    If $aLines[0] > 1 Then
        For $Index = 2 To $aLines[0]
            For $iFontSize = $iMaxFont To $iMinFontSize Step - 1
                $aSize = _StringSize($aLines[$Index], $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)
                If $aSize[2] < $Position[2] Then ExitLoop
            Next
            If $iFontSize < $iMaxFont Then $iMaxFont = $iFontSize - 1
        Next
    EndIf
    $aSize = _StringSize($sText, $iMaxFont, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)
    If $aSize[3] > $Position[3] Then
        For $iFontSize = $iMaxFont To $iMinFontSize Step - 1
            $aSize = _StringSize($sText, $iFontSize, $iWeight, $iAttrib, $sFont)
            If $aSize[3] < $Position[3] Then ExitLoop
        Next
    EndIf
    GUICtrlSetPos($cLabel, $Position[0], $Position[1] + Int(($Position[3] - $aSize[3]) / 2), $Position[2], $aSize[3])
EndFunc

Edited by Andreik

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Love this UDF, been smashing my head against labels and richtext for so long this has been my savior.
I did run into a problem atm tho.

When i have 2 Gui's one (for the labels etc) and the other for settings (change fontsize,fonttype,weight etc). i wish to reflect changes immediately so users can style their text live.
But when i open the 2nd Gui (settings) and change the settings they only 'update' on the main gui when i click it to activate/focus on it, meanwhile traydebug shows StringSize cannot get past the IsArray() check.
I put the Maingui in the parameters of Stringsize to no prevail.

what can i do to resolve this?

• Moderators

Aapjuh,

I do not really understand your problem - for example you speak of an IsArray() check, but there is no such check within the UDF that I can see. Please post a short reproducer script which demonstrates what you are trying to explain - see here how to do it.

But I am just leaving for a week on the road with no access to AutoIt, so do not expect a quick reply.

M23

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Melba23 said:

Aapjuh,

I do not really understand your problem - for example you speak of an IsArray() check, but there is no such check within the UDF that I can see. Please post a short reproducer script which demonstrates what you are trying to explain - see here how to do it.

But I am just leaving for a week on the road with no access to AutoIt, so do not expect a quick reply.

M23

Hi Melba23,

Thanks for replying.
I'll come up with a demonstration in the coming week, so take your time i am in no hurry.
I can show the IsArray part easily tho.

;Label for talker name
    Func _Label_Name($Talker_Name,$TalkerColor,$LabelUsed)
        If $LabelUsed = 0 Then
            $LabelPos = ControlGetPos($hGUI,"",$Labelarr[$LabelUsed])
            $LabelPos[1] = $LabelTop
        Else
            $LabelPos = ControlGetPos($hGUI,"",$Labelarr[$LabelUsed-1])
            $LabelPos[1] += $LabelPos[3]
        EndIf
        Local $StringInfo
        If Not IsArray($StringInfo) Then
            Do
                $StringInfo = _StringSize($Talker_Name,$FontSize,$FontWeight,0,$FontType,$GuiWidth-$LabelSpacingH-12,$hGUI)
            Until IsArray($StringInfo)
        EndIf
        GUICtrlSetData($Labelarr[$LabelUsed],$StringInfo[0])
        GUICtrlSetColor($Labelarr[$LabelUsed],$TalkerColor)
        GUICtrlSetPos($Labelarr[$LabelUsed],$LabelLeft,$LabelPos[1],$StringInfo[2],$StringInfo[3])
    EndFunc

I remember needing the IsArray() because $StringInfo would error out saying $StringInfo[0] didn't exist, i cannot seem to reproduce that error as it seems to work fine when i comment it out now, must have been something messy with my code that's since been tidied up.

Additional info for my original problem: It hangs there (in the isarray) when i change variables like $FontSize in the SettingsGui, Meanwhile the MainGui($hGUI) and the labels don't change according to the new values and trayicondebug says that its looping the Do..Until IsArray($StringInfo) until i put the MainGui into focus, then all changes come at once, but i'd like it to do so without putting focus on the MainGui.

i'll tinker some more and make a demonstration if it is unresolved by the time you're back.
While writing i start to think of all kinds of possible mistakes that could have caused it :P so i'll keep at it.

Aapjuh.

Edited by Aapjuh

• Melba23 changed the title to StringSize - M23 - BugFix version 27 Dec 23