_Net_Share_FileGetInfo() and _Net_Share_PermStr() question

I am trying to grab all permissions from all folders on one of our servers so they can be analyzed and possibly cleaned up and reorganized when we move to a new server. I took a look at these functions and they seem like they might help but I have 2 problems.

First, I am not sure if _Net_Share_FileGetInfo() can look at all files or if it can just look at open ones like in the example from the help file.

Second, _Net_Share_PermStr() although it only interprets data from _Net_Share_FileGetInfo() so the problem is there, does not seem to return proper permissions for folders.

I tried the example in the help file and looked at open files. I found if I have a file open I might see R--E---

but in the same directory (all inherited permissions) a folder would say only R------ even if it has execute permissions as well.

This might be a problem or limitation of the netapi32.dll call but I don't have a lot of knowledge about that dll. Is there any way to view full correct permissions on folders?

Before you suggest others though know that I already tried xcacls.exe and it is worse because even the files in the folder said 'R' only with no 'E'. I also tried SetACL.exe which returned only half of the listed users with permissions, and said they all had FULL permissions which they do not.

Hi,

for this kind of tasks, i always use dumpsec.

You can dump security information with various report options.

;-))

Stefan

And I have written a Script to display the dumpsec information in a treeview. It lets you search for directory names, groups, users and marks the directories the user/group can access.

If you like I can send you a copy.

It's been written quick&dirty so it's nothing I can post here without some cleaning up beforehand.

An old version with a screenshot has been posted here.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks 99ojo! Just the tool I was looking for. I might have use for the script in the future water, for now this is ok but I'll know who to contact later if I need something like that =)