_FileLineCount Blank Lines

Hi Everyone.

I tried searching the forums for a solution but can't seem to find anything on this (I thought it would've come up before). I am working on this fairly simple program that needs to count the number of lines in a text file and I'm using:

$LineCount = _FileCountLines("new.txt")

to give me the number of lines in the file. This works fine until I have a blank line at the end of the file which it won't count but I need it to. I was wondering if there was a simple way to get it to recognize the last line or lines of the file if they are blank..?

Thanks.

If your files aren't too large to fit in memory, you can use string functions to count precisely what you want.

For instance, the following will count the number of LineFeed characters in the file:

Local $s = FileRead('example.txt')
StringReplace($s, @LF, @LF, 0, 1)
Local $LFcount = @extended
ConsoleWrite($LFcount & @LF)

EDIT: btw, welcome to the forum!

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

If your files aren't too large to fit in memory, you can use string functions to count precisely what you want.

For instance, the following will count the number of LineFeed characters in the file:

Local $s = FileRead('example.txt')
StringReplace($s, @LF, @LF, 0, 1)
ConsoleWrite($LFcount & @LF)

EDIT: btw, welcome to the forum!

The last line, blank or otherwise, of a file does not end with a @LF ("Line Feed"), a vertical white space . Because, if the line did end with a vertical white space, the line would not be the last line.

The line :-

should be

Local $LFcount = @extended + 1

in order to count the last line.

Correct. This was due to the posting time (=7:07 AM after a day + night of hard work) :idea:

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Hi Everyone.

I tried searching the forums for a solution but can't seem to find anything on this (I thought it would've come up before). I am working on this fairly simple program that needs to count the number of lines in a text file and I'm using:

$LineCount = _FileCountLines("new.txt")

to give me the number of lines in the file. This works fine until I have a blank line at the end of the file which it won't count but I need it to. I was wondering if there was a simple way to get it to recognize the last line or lines of the file if they are blank..?

Thanks.

#Include <WinAPI.au3>

MsgBox(0,"",FileCountLines("new.txt"))

Func FileCountLines($FileName)
Local $CountLines = 1,$nBytes,$Size,$tBuffer,$hFile
$Size = FileGetSize($FileName)
If $Size = 0 Then Return 0
$hFile = _WinAPI_CreateFile($FileName, 2, 2)
$tBuffer = DllStructCreate("CHAR[1]")
While $Size
$Size -= 1
_WinAPI_SetFilePointer($hFile, $Size)
_WinAPI_ReadFile($hFile, DllStructGetPtr($tBuffer), 1, $nBytes)
If DllStructGetData($tBuffer,1) == @LF Then 
$Size -= 1
_WinAPI_SetFilePointer($hFile, $Size)
_WinAPI_ReadFile($hFile, DllStructGetPtr($tBuffer), 1, $nBytes)
If DllStructGetData($tBuffer,1) == @CR Then $CountLines += 1
EndIf
WEnd
_WinAPI_CloseHandle($hFile)
Return $CountLines 
EndFunc
Edited by wolf9228

صرح السماء كان هنا

Overcomplex: you'd rather use FileSetPos to do that.

Overcomplex: you'd rather use FileSetPos to do that.

#Include <WinAPI.au3>

MsgBox(0,"",FileCountLines("rr.txt"))

Func FileCountLines($FileName)
Local $CountLines = 1,$Size,$hFile
$Size = FileGetSize($FileName)
If $Size = 0 Then Return 0
$hFile = FileOpen($FileName, 0)
While $Size
$Size -= 1
FileSetPos($hFile,$Size, $FILE_BEGIN)
$chars = FileRead($hFile, 1)
If $chars == @LF Then 
$Size -= 1
FileSetPos($hFile,$Size, $FILE_BEGIN)
$chars = FileRead($hFile, 1)
If $chars == @CR Then $CountLines += 1
EndIf
WEnd
FileClose($hFile)
Return $CountLines 
EndFunc
Edited by wolf9228

صرح السماء كان هنا

Or something like

StringRegExpReplace($sStr, "(?m:^|\n)(?:\v+|$)", "")
MsgBox(0, "Result", "There are " & @Extended & " blank lines.")
Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

• 3 years later...

HI guys,

I borrowed stuff from here to count lines in extremelly large txt files. This works fine for files smaller than 1/2 GB. Larger files (1.1 GB) makes the script stops with a message "error allocating memory." I have some files as big as 40 GB that I will need to count their lines. Thanks.

Here is the code:

Local $message = "Please choose a file to count its lines."

Local $var = FileOpenDialog($message, @MyDocumentsDir & "\", "Text (*.txt;*.csv)", 1 + 4)

If @error Then
    MsgBox(64, "JailDoctor", "No File chosen",5)
    Exit
Else

$var = StringReplace($var, "|", @CRLF)
    Local $CountLines = _FileCountLines($var)
EndIf
MsgBox(64,"Lines Total" , "There are " & $CountLines - 1 & " lines in file " & $var)
Edited by JailDoctor

For files of that size you would better use a canned tool like Windows port of wc. wc -l <file> will work faster than reading the file line by line in AutoIt.

I thought you would have used a regular expression jchd back 3 years ago?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Yes I remember that but for speed efficiency on files known to be of that size, I bet that the simple wc will easily outperform any AutoIt-based algorithm. To clarify, the wallclock difference will be large enough to make the former latter unbearable.

Years ago we started (IIRC) with a simple "read the whole lot and regex it" but derived to a more sliced approach for moderately larger files. Here we know we'll have to deal with huge files almost exclusively. Just 40Gib of I/O takes long time.

EDIT: strikeout

Edited by jchd

I found one on sysinternals.com.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

The Powershell approach.

For Win 7 and newer, Powershell comes with the system.

For older than Win 7, Microsoft has free downloads of Powershell 1.0 for different platforms.

Using this example, my 60.9MB text file has 669867 lines and took around 2 secs to count.

Local $begin = TimerInit()
Local $sFileName = "C:\....\Documents\File60_9MB.txt" ; <--- Full path of file.

; Powershell command - Find number of lines in file.
Local $sCommand = '$count = 0' & @CRLF
$sCommand &= '$reader = New-Object IO.StreamReader "' & $sFileName & '"' & @CRLF
$sCommand &= 'while($reader.ReadLine() -ne $null){ $count++ }' & @CRLF
$sCommand &= '$reader.Close()' & @CRLF
$sCommand &= '$count' & @CRLF

MsgBox(0, "Line Count", "Number of lines in " & $sFileName & " is " & _PowerShell($sCommand, "") & @CRLF & @CRLF & _
        "Time taken: " & Round(TimerDiff($begin) / 1000, 3) & "secs" & @CRLF)

; Note: My 60.9MB text file has 669867 lines and took around 2 secs to count.

; ----- Check that powershell.exe path is correct. --------
; Note: Use single quotes to enclose the commands, and double quotes for internal quotes.
Func _PowerShell($sCmd, $sDir = "")
    $sCmd = StringReplace($sCmd, '"', '"""') ; Enables any internal quotes to be read in AutoIt's Run function which runs the powershell commands in powershell.
    Local $text = '', $Pid = Run('"C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" ' & $sCmd, $sDir, @SW_HIDE, 2 + 4)
    While 1
        $text &= StdoutRead($Pid, False, False)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        Sleep(10)
    WEnd
    While 1
        $text &= StderrRead($Pid)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        ConsoleWrite(@LF & "!#------------------------# Error #---------------------------# " & @LF)
    WEnd
    Return $text
EndFunc   ;==>_PowerShell

First time I ran your code Malkey, it took 7 seconds on file with 33 lines, then running again it took 1 second. Perhaps because I don't use PowerShell that often.

UDF List:

Got stain in your harddisk, guinness ? Try WD40

Now it's fine. I will re-start my system today and test again. I will also try the WD40 jchd!

UDF List:

JailDoctor,

What text files are you working with that have a size of 40GB?

UDF List: