[solved] Delete records from Access

• Moderators

I have been attempting to come up with a script that can connect to a local access database and run a SQL query to delete rows (query is below). I've been searching the forums, and have fund several articles on using the ADODB to make the connection. I also stumbled across a forum member that wrote a UDF for access (many thanks) and have been attempting to use that. However, when I run the script, it returns an exit code of 0, but does not delete the needed records.

Below are the particulars of what I'm trying to do, and the script I borrowed with permission. Any assistance on what I am doing wrong would be greatly apprciated.

SQL Query: DELETE * FROM CODECLAS WHERE CC_ClassSuffix is null; (inputted manually in Access this works just fine, so I know it is not the query itself).

<script>

#Include-once

#include <AccessConstants.au3>

$adSource = "C:\Test.mdb"

$adTable = "CODECLAS"

$adCol = "CC_ClassSuffix"

$Find = (this is where I'm fuzzy. Not sure how to set this to null properly. I've been just putting in "null;" or "null")

$ad0cc = 0

Func _accessDeleteRecord($adSource,$adTable, $adCol,$Find,$adOcc)

$oADO = 'ADODB.Connection'

If IsObj($oADO) Then

$oADO = ObjGet('',$oADO)

Else

$oADO = _dbOpen($adSource)

EndIf

If IsObj($oADO) = 0 Then Return SetError(1)

$oRec = _dbOpenRecordset()

If IsObj($oRec) = 0 Then Return SetError(2)

$Search = $adCol & " = '" & $Find & Chr(39)

With $oRec

.CursorLocation = $adUseClient

If $adOcc = 1 Then

.Open ("SELECT * FROM " & $adTable , $oADO, $adOpenStatic, $adLockOptimistic)

.find($Search)

.Delete()

.close

Else

.Open("DELETE * FROM " & $adTable & " WHERE " & $adCol & " = '" & $Find & Chr(39), $oADO, $adOpenStatic, $adLockOptimistic)

EndIf

EndWith

$oADO.Close()

EndFunc

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

Try

""
if that doesnt work try something like:

Local $oVBS = ObjCreate("ScriptControl") 
$oVBS.language = "VBScript" 
Global Const $Nothing = $oVBS.eval("Nothing") 
$oVBS = $Nothing

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both, and neither performed the delete as needed. Still no error, but it does not delete the records.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

• Moderators

[solved]

After monkeying around with it a bit more, this proved to be more simple than I thought. I ended up just creating an ODBC connection of my own that I could call in the script:

Dim $strDSN
Dim $strSQL
Dim $objCN

;Create ODBC Connection if necessary

$var = RegRead( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...", "DBQ" )
IF $var <> "C:\Program Files\...\DATA1\my db file" Then
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\..." )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...", "DBQ", "REG_SZ", "C:\Program Files\...\DATA1\My db file" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...", "Driver", "REG_SZ", "C:\WINDOWS\system32\odbcjt32.dll" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...", "DriverId", "REG_DWORD", "25" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...", "FIL", "REG_SZ", "MS Access;" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...", "SafeTransactions", "REG_DWORD", "0" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...", "UID", "REG_SZ", "" )  
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...\Engines" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...\Engines\Jet" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...\Engines\Jet", "ImplicitCommitSync", "REG_SZ", "" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...\Engines\Jet", "MaxBufferSize", "REG_DWORD", "2048" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...\Engines\Jet", "PageTimeout", "REG_DWORD", "5" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...\Engines\Jet", "Threads", "REG_DWORD", "3" )
  RegWrite( "HKCU\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\...\Engines\Jet", "UserCommitSync", "REG_SZ", "Yes" )
EndIf

;Connect using ODBC Connection
$strDSN = "MyConnection" 
$strSQL = "Delete * FROM CODECLAS WHERE CODECLAS.CC_ClassSuffix Is Null;"
$objCN = ObjCreate("ADODB.Connection")
$objCN.Open($strDSN) 
$objCN.Execute($strSQL) 
$objCN.close