Advice for newer forum members.

Recently I've noticed a few topics where people are asking questions that are just naot acceptable questions in these forums

They include but are not limited to

• Decompiling an AutoIt Exe file back to a script. (covered in my signature and considered as possible code theft.)
  • Hiding your code from Windows Task Manager

When it comes to asking for help with code that has too much potential to be used for malicious purposes, this is the way it works;

Around here, when it comes to the purposes that people use AutoIt for, WE DO CARE, and we care passionatly

When it comes to your personal feelings about what AutoIt can or should be used for, WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN. Don't even bother asking for help with malicious code, it can only lead to your thread being locked or worse (better?), you being banned. If it runs in the back of your mind that a bit of code might be used maliciously, then don't bother asking the question.

Call it an unfriendly attitude but suck it up, and live with it, because things are not apt to change in this regard.

</soapbox>

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

:mellow:

It seems that at certain times, certain subjects keep getting up, recently it's been hiding processes, injecting code and decompiling.

It would be nice to have an announcement like the game bot one to refer to.

Would this have a place in Bug Reports and Feature Requests?

edit: It also seems that at times we take the exact same path through the forum, making me seem like a copycat :/

Edited by Tvern

It seems that at certain times, certain subjects keep getting up, recently it's been hiding processes, injecting code and decompiling.

It would be nice to have an announcement like the game bot one to refer to.

Would this have a place in Bug Reports and Feature Requests?

edit: It also seems that at times we take the exact same path through the forum, making me seem like a copycat :/

It's not an item for TRAC at all. Someday a full announcement of the Forum rules will exist but for now we just issue the occasional "friendly" reminder.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

I dont think anyone with unscrupulous intent will read anything that dosen catch their eye as something they want, they land here with one thing in mind, "to get what they want".

If I wanted such people to know the consequences before posting on a forum of my own, it would be in the form of a sticky (In reality very few read an announcement upon joining a forum) entitled "Everything you need to no about malicious hacking with Autoit".

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Someday a certain un-named developer might get finished "fleshing out" a proper set of rules and putting it up as either an announcement or a sticky. Until then it only takes an occasional "friendly" reminder or a stern warning in the thread involved.

George

• Developers

What ever is posted will not be read.... they do not have time nor the interest to do so.

Just don't get aggravated about it as its something that will never be solved and we cannot control and just used the invisible "Ignore" button.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

What ever is posted will not be read.... they do not have time nor the interest to do so.

Just don't get aggravated about it as its something that will never be solved and we cannot control and just used the invisible "Ignore" button.

Jos

I agrre it will never be read no matter what method is used. I'm not in the least aggrivated today, just thought it was time for another reminder.

George

• Developers

I agrre it will never be read no matter what method is used. I'm not in the least aggrivated today, just thought it was time for another reminder.

Yea ..I can tell you are as came as always reading your posts of today :mellow:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I'm in a fine mood today, haven't gone to the Report button at all since I first opened the forums this morning. The Mods (including you) can alwys tell when I'm in B**CH mode by that alone.

George

It's not an item for TRAC at all.

I kinda figured. Seems there is no "forum requests" subforum though and this doesn't seem like a topic requesting general help, nor support.

@JohnOne

It's true that the game bots announcement doesn't seem to stop anyone from posting, but atleast the point of view of the dev's is clear on this matter and regular members will be quick to point offenders to the announcement. I'd love to see this for malicious scripts.

Actually what I'd love to see is a "read this before posting" sticky that tells people all of the above, aswell as to be as complete as possible when describing an issue and to post code. (I actually thought there used to be one)

/rant off

edit: I'm actually very aggravated. My nose has been hurting for the last 3 days.

Edited by Tvern

and regular members will be quick to point offenders to the announcement. I'd love to see this for malicious scripts.

Its difficult though

I got scorched once trying

The gentleman came on asking how to do something or other that I cant remember, but it seemed dubious.

The post had the fell that the poster was not english speaking at first, until I noticed too many slang words, so I concluded the poster was very young who couldnt spell anywhere near properly, or was very very stupid.

the post was along the lines of..

"Yo I very want will look into exe when will I inject my script for run :mellow: "

Anyway I piped up that it seemed a little strange to ask for something like it withing a minute of registration.

All of a sudden the poster came back with english grammer that would put an 18th century poet to shame, and a full and detailed explaination of thousand legitimate reasons to use such code, and how stupid I was.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

@JohnOne

That's the chance we take. In my experience on these forums, we've been correct more often than we have been wrong. I remember the particular thread you are refering to (I think) and in my mind you were correct.

@Jos

Don't you dare edit the word feeble in before the word mind.

George

@JohnOne

I think I recall seeing something similar.

Consider this: In the Example sripts forum there is a sticky considering keyloggers.

When someone asks a question concerning a legitimate reason to log keys they are often pointed to that post and it either stops there, or someone helps them through PM's.

The reason being that their purpose might me legit, but people could use the topic for malicious applications.

No finger pointing needed.

Edited by Tvern

• Moderators

JohnOne,

George's comments seconded. :mellow:

Who cares what they "think". Long term members "know" that you (or whoever it might be in a particular case) are right more often than not.

Anyway, you scorched by an internet post - after this? I think not! :P

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

haha

But I did learn to consider a post more before replying to it, and maybe leaving it for someone better qualified to denounce sometimes.

What gets me is the flurry of people joining around the same time asking the same questions, to me its one person who thinks the more times they ask the more likely of getting the code they want...

...Or a forum invasion, I know about these as I took part in a few on football fourums the day before the match, just for shits and giggles and on nothing more than a wind up before the game.

So although I may be projecting sometimes I rightly or wrongly think I can smell a troll.

I had an idea recently, a test that a new forum member would have to pass before being able to post. amirite?

Close. People should be required to pass a license test to access the internet, or to even use a computer, with said license having to be renewed every 2 or 3 years.

George