$bak[2]="cscal32.bak"
$bak[3]="CSVLST32.bak"
$bak[4]="csspin32.bak"

If $install=1 then
While $i<5 
   If FileExists($sysdir & $ocx[$i])=1 then
     FileCopy($sysdir & $ocx[$i], $sysdir & $bak[$i]);   make backups
   EndIf

FileInstall("C:\1\" & $ocx[$i], $sysdir & $ocx[$i], 1);  install file w/o overwriting

RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'regsvr32 /s $sysdir & $ocx[$i]', "", @SW_HIDE); register the files
   $i=$i + 1
WEnd
endif

If @error="0" then
msgbox(4096, "System", "The OCX files have been successfully updated.")
else 
msgbox(4096, "System", "There was an error during installation.")
endif

Hiya, I'm new to the forum and i've got quite a question. I'm semi-new to scripting and I'm somewhat unfamiliar with AutoIT. For some reason I'm not able to compile this script...BUT it works fine in au3 format. I have attempted to compile it from the context menu and from the script converter program and I crash using both of these. HELP!

Problem is with FileInstall():

The source path of the file to compile. This must be a literal string; it cannot be a variable.

You have to hard code it for the compile

The FileInstall function is designed to include files into a compiled AutoIt script. These included files can then be "extracted" during execution of the compiled script. Keep in mind that files such as images can greatly increase the size of a compiled script.
The source file must be a string and not a variable so that the compiler can extract the filename to include. The source cannot contain wildcards.

When this function is used from a non-compiled script, a copy operation is performed instead (to allow for easy testing pre-compilation).
Files maintain their original creation/modification timestamps when installed.
Edited by steveR
AutoIt3 online docs Use it... Know it... Live it...MSDN libraryglobal Help and SupportWindows: Just another pane in the glass.

Guest pkelly

Hmm... i see that now. Since I have 5 different files that I'm compiling into the exe, do i have to have 5 different statements? Or is there another way to throw these into a loop?

Or is there another way to throw these into a loop?

None that I can think of to get past the no-variable rule. I've never used FileInstall so maybe someone else knows a trick or something... Edited by steveR
AutoIt3 online docs Use it... Know it... Live it...MSDN libraryglobal Help and SupportWindows: Just another pane in the glass.

Guest pkelly

None that I can think of to get past the no-variable rule. Maybe someone else knows a trick or something...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm thinking that i can install the 5 files into the directory as a different name and then FileCopy() them after the backup process.... Thank you for the reply steveR