Getting the displayed order of thumbnails in Windows Explorer

I've been working on a vbscript application to automate the renaming of jpg files in Windows Explorer. Briefly the user can reorder files when using the thumbnails view and then the code will rename them numerically in the displayed order (not the system file order). The code relies heavily on sending key strokes and use of the clipboard to copy file name string. Generally the code does a pretty good job of the task and I have it working on approx 50 computers (really). It's fast and convenient and the users really like it, as formerly they were doing this by hand.

The problem I have is that the keystrokes method and receiving items from the clipboard is not as reliable as I would like. I am fairly new to AutoIT, but I have noticed that direct communication with controls is supported. I would like some general advice on how to solve this problem. That is, how can I extract from Windows Explorer the DISPLAYED order of thumbnail items. Please note this is the order of the images a user would set by dragging the thumbnails within the window - not the system file order.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SMK

I dont know the answer to this, but from what I have seen around the forum, there has been plenty a script transcoded from VBS to Autoit3, (which is what I read your post as) so perhps posting your VBS code will help.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I dont know the answer to this, but from what I have seen around the forum, there has been plenty a script transcoded from VBS to Autoit3, (which is what I read your post as) so perhps posting your VBS code will help.

Yep, thanks for this. I don't think posting the code will help as it uses send keystrokes and clipboard methods extensively and this is what I want to get away from. I just want any advice about reading file names in the order they are displayed using direct communication with windows explorers controls.

This is a bit nasty, but you should see something you can use.

Drag a jpg (or whatever file) into it and it will rename it with increasing numbers at beggining of filename (Test.jpg = 1Test.jpg) provided you have the privilages.

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
$Count = 1 ; Set count
$sNewPath = "" ; Set new path
GUICreate("Rename", 300, 200, -1, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)) ;Make a gui, have it accept files
$EditDrop = GUICtrlCreateEdit("Drop first file here",0,0,300,200) ;Make an edit control
GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED) ;Set control to accept drops
GUISetState() ;Show Gui
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $msg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ;Exit
            Exit
        Case $GUI_EVENT_DROPPED ;Deal with dropped file
            $sFilePath = @GUI_DragFile ; get path to file
            $aTemp = StringSplit($sFilePath,"\",3) ;Split into array
            For $i = 0 to UBound($aTemp) -2
                $sNewPath &= $aTemp[$i] & "\" ;Create a newpath minus the filename
            Next
            $sNewPath &= $Count & $aTemp[UBound($aTemp) -1] ;Add New filename with added count number
            ConsoleWrite($sFilePath) ; check original path
            ConsoleWrite($sNewPath & @CRLF) ; Check new path
            FileMove($sFilePath,$sNewPath,1) ; Renam rename file
            $Count += 1 ; increase counter
            $sNewPath = "" ;Reset New Path
            GUICtrlSetData($EditDrop,"Drop next file here") ; Change text
    EndSwitch
WEnd

It wont be exactly what you need but might help you get it.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

This is a bit nasty, but you should see something you can use.

Drag a jpg (or whatever file) into it and it will rename it with increasing numbers at beggining of filename (Test.jpg = 1Test.jpg) provided you have the privilages.

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
$Count = 1 ; Set count
$sNewPath = "" ; Set new path
GUICreate("Rename", 300, 200, -1, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES)) ;Make a gui, have it accept files
$EditDrop = GUICtrlCreateEdit("Drop first file here",0,0,300,200) ;Make an edit control
GUICtrlSetState(-1, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED) ;Set control to accept drops
GUISetState() ;Show Gui
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $msg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ;Exit
            Exit
        Case $GUI_EVENT_DROPPED ;Deal with dropped file
            $sFilePath = @GUI_DragFile ; get path to file
            $aTemp = StringSplit($sFilePath,"\",3) ;Split into array
            For $i = 0 to UBound($aTemp) -2
                $sNewPath &= $aTemp[$i] & "\" ;Create a newpath minus the filename
            Next
            $sNewPath &= $Count & $aTemp[UBound($aTemp) -1] ;Add New filename with added count number
            ConsoleWrite($sFilePath) ; check original path
            ConsoleWrite($sNewPath & @CRLF) ; Check new path
            FileMove($sFilePath,$sNewPath,1) ; Renam rename file
            $Count += 1 ; increase counter
            $sNewPath = "" ;Reset New Path
            GUICtrlSetData($EditDrop,"Drop next file here") ; Change text
    EndSwitch
WEnd

It wont be exactly what you need but might help you get it.

Thanks for this - it has given me a couple of ideas, but my users are used to clicking one button and the code takes care of the rest.