Autoit and the serious (comercial) project

Hi.

I just want to ask if any of you guys do some serius projects with autoit? If yes, what are your experiences?

And are you satisfied with autoit or would you prefer another programming language?

I'm about to start some project, but I don't know what to choose ... autoit or C# ?

Have a nice day :mellow:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on just what the project is, some are suited to AutoIt while others should use a lower level language and C# would not be my choice there. The .NET framework is just far too cumbersome and slow.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

It depends on just what the project is, some are suited to AutoIt while others should use a lower level language and C# would not be my choice there. The .NET framework is just far too cumbersome and slow.

Wait a minute. In many ways C# is on a higher level and the execution speed of the clr is far superior to that of autoit.

To answer the OP's question what is best to slice a piece of bread, a kitchen knife or a chain saw?

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

When I was toying with C# some time back I found that GUIs were particularily slow. C# is definitly slower that C++ which in turn is slower than pure C, so again it depends on what the OP wants to do.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Personally I like to work with autoit as it is very simple and I've automatically memorized (I DID NOT try to memorize them. They just got memorized as they are fairly easy.) which is certainly not the case with c++ as I occassionally have to look in the msdn lib for information.

Then again there are times when autoit lacks. For example scite based project management for bigger projects is absolutely lousy compared to that of visual studio. Besides when you must make a win32 dynamic link library, you haven't really got a choice.

[Not using this account any more. Using "iShafayet" instead]

What I found was that for making your own GUI's and using them, C# wins by miles. However, trying to manipulate other windows is a pain and usually means going back to winapi again. Hotkeys are not built into c#. c# needs a runtime. c# is much more structured for larger projects. Classes are invaluable and make code so pretty.

So... What do you want to do?

Yes some of my projects are serious. AutoIt's speed limitations are sometimes an issue. I particularly wish that AutoIt had built in sound wave functions. I don't really have enough time to devote to learning lots of new programming languages. I have targeted learning php as my next endeavour.

When I was toying with C# some time back I found that GUIs were particularily slow. C# is definitly slower that C++ which in turn is slower than pure C, so again it depends on what the OP wants to do.

That's not true at all. C++ isn't slower than C :mellow:

C++ should be just as fast as C. If it isn't, there's something horribly wrong with your C++ compiler.

Edited by Kip

C++ should be just as fast as C. If it isn't, there's something horribly wrong with your C++ compiler.

Writing C++ as you should write C++ makes C++ a slower language.

STL, objects (especially virtual method calls), RTTI and exceptions are all featurs that makes C++ slower than C.

But you're right that using C++ as C will make it just as fast.

Edited by monoceres

As opposed to one language being faster than another, in practice it's more so about the style of programming. C++ being objected oriented often has real-word penalties to performance over a strictly procedural method of programming.

I'd recommend this slide show: http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/gcapaustralia09/Pitfalls_of_Object_Oriented_Programming_GCAP_09.pdf to anyone who has interest in the subject. It was introduced in a Stackoverflow "article" about a optimization:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2932515/effective-optimization-strategies-on-modern-c-compilers

You might want to research that Kip. C++ is slower than C and monoceres was correct in his assessment.

George

A piece of C code should run just as fast when compiled with a C++ compiler.

Using the default C++ library it's probably slightly slower. But the language C++ on it's own isn't slower than C. It's just the functions you are using and how you're using them.

Edited by Kip

A piece of C code should run just as fast when compiled with a C++ compiler.

But C!=C++ so what's you point? If you're not using anything of the things I mentioned above you're not writing C++.

What's your point indeed? I ask what's your point to all of you involved in this absurd debate? If you want speed write assembly so you control every single instruction. Otherwise, who gives a fuck about the miniscule speed differences between C and C++ under certain circumstances? I'd rather write 30 lines of C++ and have it irrelevantly slower than write 90 lines of equivalent code in C.

Incidentally, if you think you can make a blanket "C++ is slower" statement you're a fool. For example, did you know that the calling convention can affect speed? Are you aware that equivalent C++ objects and C functions taking pointers to structures can produce equivalent code - or faster C++ code due to optimizations? Yes, there are features of C++ that slow things down, exceptions particularly. However a blanket "C++ is slower" statement is just plain stupid.

Kip, keep (oops) in mind that the very first C++ "compilers" were in fact simple (or not so simple) C++ preprocessors and the output fed to a standard C compiler. Of course the C++ language was at that time much less complete/complex than it is now. The evolutions of the C++ language specifications make it now plain impossible to simply preprocess C++ that way because the underlying structures have no equivalent in C.

The point is that any C++ compiler I know of has the ability to compile C code (modulo some option) the same way a C-only compiler would do. But in reality it's just a C compiler hidden there. That's what monoceres said to you: a piece of C code is ... well, C whatever the nickname the compiler bears. Look at which libraries get linked and you'll see that C is still C.

Now the actual burden resides in C++ constructs when your whole application uses an OO design. You may not notice much difference if you take a working C application and change it a little to simply use one native C++ construct or object in some part of your code. It's only when you build a complete OO design, typically with some large object library with multiple inheritance, that you notice that operations are significantly slower. OTOH you must admit to get more robustness, more power to send object to a display grid or sophiticated printing layout without caring at all how things work internally.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

My point is this (and I've had to correct people on this loads of times): Using C++ as C is not writing C++. That's all. Kip's statement indicated that the features I listed are just optional additions to the language, while in fact they're the heart of C++.

I know that the difference is small, and the difference is getting less and less relevant with modern computers, but keep in mind that time critical systems are still very much implemented in C. Operating systems and languages such as Python quickly comes to mind.

And yes, I rather too write in C++ than C. I personally think that C++ is the best language out there (close competition with Java).

Going back to the original question, it is pointless to argue which is the better language without knowing more about the 'project'.

When a project is started it goes through the project planning phase where the best tools and language is selected based off their particular strengths and weakness.

To properly do this you must first define the project you want to create. How large, GUI or cmd? More detail is required.

I have created commercial testing solutions using AutoIt but that was after I did a lot of research, looking at other tools. Based on my requirements I chose AutoIt.

ATM I am consulting on automated web service and web based testing, due to the requirements of each, AutoIt may not be the best solution. The business is currently looking other solutions to get the best fit.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]