AutoIT as an Android App Development Platform?

I started using AutoIT quite a bit several months ago and really liked learning how windows APIs worked. I was looking at doing some Android app development and wondered if there was a way to use AutoIT for Android OS APIs?

http://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/wiki/AutoItNotOnToDoList

Nothing about Android there, but given the statement about Mac, Linux and Windows CE I think it's safe to say it'll never happen.

• 2 months later...

AutoIt is a Microsoft Windows automation tool. It will not be ported to any other system for this reason.

No, its a programming language - currently only on Windows.

But a lot of people would like to see it ported to other platforms. Of course that requires someone to do the porting, and since they won't - well... move along. Nothing to see here.

But a lot of people would like to see it ported to other platforms. Of course that requires someone to do the porting, and since they won't - well... move along. Nothing to see here.

AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting.

It explicitly says Windows there.

[bored]

explicit: "Windows (+) GUI" & "general scripting"

Can be explicitly misread if need be.

Seems AutoIT typers seem to ask the same kind of questions.

(probably some mass produced keyboard hickup.)

[still bored]

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Akton,

Perhaps you just mean the BASIC syntax? AutoIt is a bit more than just a programming language, it's an automation suite, which happens to include a dialect of BASIC.

kscott2357,

I started using AutoIT quite a bit several months ago and really liked learning how windows APIs worked. I was looking at doing some Android app development and wondered if there was a way to use AutoIT for Android OS APIs?

If you want to develop apps on Android using a much simpler language than Java (which isn't that hard anyway), try using Scripting Layer for Android, then you can use a really easy and intuitive language like Python to write Android apps.

As an example, a simple book barcode scanner can be written in 6 lines of code:

import android
droid = android.Android()
code = droid.scanBarcode()
isbn = int(code['result']['SCAN_RESULT'])
url = “http://books.google.com?q=%d” % isbn
droid.startActivity(‘android.intent.action.VIEW’, url)

Ok, how's this for an argument: The dev team has said they won't be porting to any other platforms.

Sounds rock solid to me.

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

• 8 months later...

Although AutoIt will not be ported, unless in an alternate universe we'll see an open source AutoIt ,

I'd love to see KodaForms version for Android

It is much simpler task to do and it was writted using Delphi!

Other alternatives for Android:

1. You can signup for Cooper Beta - Pascal for Java->Android

http://www.remobjects.com/cooper.aspx

2. Mono for Android

http://mono-android.net/

3. Delphi for Android

http://www.delphiforandroid.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

As has been stated (over and over and over again), AutoIt is a tool for Windows automation, and works with the Windows API. You are more than welcome to write a BASIC-like scripting suite for Andriod/Apple/etc. on your own. When you're done, we'll visit your forum ;)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

it is sad that autoit will never be ported to mac/linux especially considuring its writen in C++ which means the porting prossess would be easier than other applcations. any way if you wanted to use it on mac you could always use an windows emulator

AutoIT is a scripting language for Windows, and as i know most of his magic stuff is based on WinApi. So i think that it's impossible to port on other OS without rewriting from scratch ;)

Hi!

My UDF: NetInfo UDF Play with your network, check your download/upload speed and much more! YTAPI Easy to use YouTube API, now you can easy retrive all needed info from a video. NavInfo Check if a specific browser is installed and retrive other usefull information. YWeather Easy to use Yahoo Weather API, now you can easily retrive details about the weather in a specific region. No-IP UDF Easily update your no-ip hostname(s).

My Script: Wallpaper Changer Change you wallpaper dinamically, you can also download your wallpaper from your website and share it with all!   My Snippet: _ImageSaveToBMPConvert an image to bmp format. _SciteGOTO Open a file in SciTE at specific fileline. _FileToHex Show the hex code of a specified file

• 1 year later...

There is such a thing. Its called B4A Basic for Android

App called B4A Bridge.

App is free

Development program is $120

Its a development in BASIC language, very much like the autoit.

I would buy it for $50 but not only its expencive but also upgrade is limited to 2 years.

Most of programs i bought have unlimited upgrade.