Write control characters to a text file?

This may be a stupid question but I have a script that writes data to a text file which is later written to an email and sent. As it is right now it's all plain text; I would like to embed some control characters in the file in order to make the email more readable when it's sent (bolded/italic titles, etc.)

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

You can send the text file as HTML (via outlook) so you can put tags liek "<BR>" , "<Font size=10>" etc. in the text file.

For example if you send to outlook as html the following:

"asdasd<BR>asdasd <BR>teet"

in outlook it will look like

asdasd
asdasd 
teet

You can send the text file as HTML (via outlook) so you can put tags liek "<BR>" , "<Font size=10>" etc. in the text file.

asdasd
asdasd 
teet

That won't work for me as the file must retain it's original text format (tabs, whitespace, etc). If I was to change to html, I would have to add html tags for everything in the file (br, p, etc) and I can't see doing that at this time. As it is right now, everyting is perfect using RTF with exception of my desire to add bolded and/or italic text at some specific places.

Seems like I recall seeing somewhere how to embed ascii control sequences for doing this but I can't seem to find it -- especially for these two formatting features.

Thanks for responding.

asdasd
asdasd 
teet

So this is the only option I have available?