binary to int/int to binary

#include <string.au3>
$packet = Binary("0x0F000001FC")
$protocolid = BinaryMid($packet, 1, 1)
$clientvers = BinaryMid($packet, 2)
MsgBox(0, "NUMBER:", "Protocol Id:" & Int($protocolid) & ". ClientVers:" & $clientvers)

; test 2
$lalz = Binary(Int(508))
MsgBox(0, "508 Binary", $lalz & ".")

So the problem is in 'decoding'

the protocol id is correct (15)

but the problem is in the clientvers

clientvers should be 508 but i get 0

then with test 2 i tried to get binary value of Int 508

and its reversed (wtf?!!)

FC010000 when the packet 000001FC

and if i try to convert it back to int (FC010000) i get 252

Please explain me how to do this im newbie in theese things :mellow:

Edited by MangiS

Welcome too the little-endian world of Intel x86/x64. Whereas the data is stored from lowest to highest bytes (read in binary as 'left-to-right' as 0x00,0x00,0x01,0xFC), the data is grabbed on an x86/x64 Intel machine in little-endian form. This means that if a 16-bit variable is grabbed, you will wind up with 0x0000, or if you grab from BinaryMid($packet,4) you will wind up with 0xFC01. If you grab a 32-bit variable, it will be 0xFC010000. big-endian machines are the opposite of course.

In machine code there's a simple way of reversing endianness (the instruction 'bswap'). However, in higher level languages you need code tricks like below:

$clientvers = Number("0x"&Hex(BinaryMid($packet, 2)))

Wikipedia article on Endianness

Welcome too the little-endian world of Intel x86/x64. Whereas the data is stored from lowest to highest bytes (read in binary as 'left-to-right' as 0x00,0x00,0x01,0xFC), the data is grabbed on an x86/x64 Intel machine in little-endian form. This means that if a 16-bit variable is grabbed, you will wind up with 0x0000, or if you grab from BinaryMid($packet,4) you will wind up with 0xFC01. If you grab a 32-bit variable, it will be 0xFC010000. big-endian machines are the opposite of course.

In machine code there's a simple way of reversing endianness (the instruction 'bswap'). However, in higher level languages you need code tricks like below:

$clientvers = Number("0x"&Hex(BinaryMid($packet, 2)))

Wikipedia article on Endianness

Thank you very much :mellow:

MangiS, just to keep this in the thread (and out of my PM):

So now my problem is that i cant convert binary (long) to int

the packet is 0x00E3206C03CEC7E7 and it should be 63930468005758951 but when i try to convert it i fail..

first the swapping trick does not work here and u can't directly full value

so i tried to split it to 2 parts (0x00E3206C and 0x03CEC7E7) but then i still don't get requed value , so can you help me convert this ? :mellow:

Since this is a 64-bit value, you can instead use something like Int("0x"&"00E3206C03CEC7E7"), but this will fail when the upper bit is set (it will return a negative value).

Likewise, the following will give you a signed 64-bit integer:

$stTemp=DllStructCreate("int64")
DllStructSetData($stTemp,1,"0x00E3206C03CEC7E7")
ConsoleWrite("value:"&DllStructGetData($stTemp,1)&@CRLF)

IMPORTANT: There's currently no workaround for signed integers (any 64-bit value with the top bit set), however, you can check if it is negative, add a value to 'pop' the top bit (add (-9223372036854775807-1) [you must write it like that otherwise AutoIT will truncate it]), and then manually calculate an addition of '9223372036854775808'.. using string addition, I guess. Maybe someone else would have a better way to get a positive 64-bit number when the top bit is set though? I can't think of any easy way at the moment.

MangiS, just to keep this in the thread (and out of my PM):

Since this is a 64-bit value, you can instead use something like Int("0x"&"00E3206C03CEC7E7"), but this will fail when the upper bit is set (it will return a negative value).

Likewise, the following will give you a signed 64-bit integer:

DllStructSetData($stTemp,1,"0x00E3206C03CEC7E7")

IMPORTANT: There's currently no workaround for signed integers (any 64-bit value with the top bit set), however, you can check if it is negative, add a value to 'pop' the top bit (add (-9223372036854775807-1) [you must write it like that otherwise AutoIT will truncate it]), and then manually calculate an addition of '9223372036854775808'.. using string addition, I guess. Maybe someone else would have a better way to get a positive 64-bit number when the top bit is set though? I can't think of any easy way at the moment.

tried dll struct , but it returns 0 :mellow:

Grab the Binary section (up to 8 bytes - or 16 characters using hex notation), and put it in the struct using String():

Something like:

$bBin=BinaryMid($bDataStream,1,8)
DllStructSetData($stTemp,1,String($bBin))

It seems odd but it has to be converted to "0x##.." before being put into that 64-bit element.

Edited by Ascend4nt

Grab the Binary section (up to 8 bytes - or 16 characters using hex notation), and put it in the struct using String():

Something like:

It seems odd but it has to be converted to "0x##.." before being put into that 64-bit element.

$bDataStream = Binary("0x00E3206C03CEC7E7")

still 0 what im doing wrong?

Edited by MangiS

Running what you posted, I get this:

value:63930468005758951

Make sure you are using the latest AutoIT (v 3.3.6.1)

Running what you posted, I get this:

value:63930468005758951

Make sure you are using the latest AutoIT (v 3.3.6.1)

Thank you so much again :P i was using older AutoIT

now i almost done packet decoder :mellow:

Edit:

As i saw in newest version it can be done only using Int()

but one more stupid question how to do from int64 to binary? :party:'

because using Binary() it converts it to like 0x363339333034333830303537

Edited by MangiS

Look on the forums for some decimal to hexadecimal conversion routines, there's plenty of them around, though I think many have issues with signed numbers or >32-bit numbers. After the conversion is done, prefix it with "0x" and convert it to binary with Binary($sHexString).