Detecting different versions of a running window...

Ok, lets say I have two copies of notepad open with a fresh file on each. The default name is "Untitled - Notepad" for each of them right now. I know I can use the ControlSend function to send input directly to a chosen window, but how can I allow it to differentiate between the active notepad, and the inactive notepad without creating a custom window title for one of them?

EDIT: I know I can use the AutoITv3 Window Info tool to find the Handle of each manually, I want to do this automatically to get the handle of the actively running window.

Edited by DoubleMcLovin

This will get you the currently active window:

$hWin=WinGetHandle("[ACTIVE]")

If Notepad isn't active, you'll have to figure another way to distinguish which one is the one you want. I'm not sure if there's a way to get the Z-order list of Windows, but even then - what happens if Notepad is minimized?

If Notepad isn't active, you'll have to figure another way to distinguish which one is the one you want. I'm not sure if there's a way to get the Z-order list of Windows, but even then - what happens if Notepad is minimized?

If notepad is minimized and I am using the COntrolSend function, shouldn't it still receive my input?

Two or three things come to mind. when you say a "fresh file on each" do you mean a new empty document? If so, does it matter which one you use? If they are not empty, you can check for the window with title "Untitled - Notepad" and text - "whatever"

If it is simple a matter of sending to the same one each time (but it doesn't matter which one originally) then use WinGetHandle

If notepad is minimized and I am using the COntrolSend function, shouldn't it still receive my input?

Wouldn't it then not be considered the 'active' notepad? My point is - how do you distinguish. But to answer your question - yes, many (but not all) applications will respond to ControlSend in minimized/hidden states.

Of course notepad is just a simple example. My actual goal does not involve using notepad, it more closely resembles background processing so that I can continue to work in the foreground on my own while in the background a control is manipulated.