Using AutoIT on Windows 7

Hi there,

I have searched for a while to see if there is anything on why i am missing the compile option from the right-click menu on my Win7 Pro system. I couldn't find anything :mellow:

I have used AutoIT on Windows XP for years now and have got very used to compiling without opening the file in the editor. It is only one extra action to open the file and choose compile from the tools menu, but curiosity is getting the better of me and so i am asking the question here. Why is 'compile' missing from my right-click menu?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sop.

First guess would be that the AutoIt installer doesn't have the permissions required to write that key. I ran into the same thing adding an entry for .chm files.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

It works fine for me, both on 32-bit and 64-bit Win7 Pro.

Have you tried reinstalling SciTE4AutoIt? Try forcing setup to run elevated.

[font="Tahoma"]"Tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties"[/font]

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have 32-bit Win7 and i have tried reinstalling SciTE4AutoIt running the setup as administrator with no luck. I am using an admin profile anyway but i thought i'd try.

The only other thing i can add is that when i initially couldn't open an au3 script in the editor by default, i choose to open with notepad. Then i fixed the association to get them to open with the editor. But uninstalling and re-installing doesn't change anything with regard to the compile option.

This is only a small thing but it would be good to fix. Thanks again!

EDIT: if someone wants to work out what a quick REG file solution would be to add the compile option to my menu, i would be forever grateful :mellow:

Edited by soporific

Here is my registry entries. You will have to adjust the paths as necessisary for your system.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script]

@="AutoIt v3 Script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\Icons\\au3script_v10.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell]

@="Edit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Compile]

@="Compile Script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Compile\Command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\Aut2Exe\\Aut2Exe.exe\" /in \"%l\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Compile with Options]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Compile with Options\Command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\SciTE\\AutoIt3Wrapper\\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe\" /ShowGui /in \"%l\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Edit]

@="Edit Script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Edit\Command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\SciTE\\SciTE.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Open]

@="Open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Open\Command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\SciTE\\SciTE.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Run]

@="Run Script"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Run\Command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\AutoIt3.exe\" \"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Tidy]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Tidy\Command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\AutoIt3\\SciTE\\Tidy\\Tidy.exe\" \"%1\""

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

I have searched for a while to see if there is anything on why i am missing the compile option from the right-click menu on my Win7 Pro system. I couldn't find anything :)

I have used AutoIT on Windows XP for years now and have got very used to compiling without opening the file in the editor. It is only one extra action to open the file and choose compile from the tools menu, but curiosity is getting the better of me and so i am asking the question here. Why is 'compile' missing from my right-click menu?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sop.

Win7 AutoIt Compiler Context Menu Addon Post By PC2012 http://pc2012.deviantart.com/#/d3dhyz3

• Developers

try this script to fix any overrides made in on associates for the au3 file extension:

Save this script in a fix.au3 file located in the AutoIt3 directory and run it..

; Scriptname: Fix_Help_Ext.au3
; Script to fix Registry setting for SciTE/AutoIt3/Helpfile Open Button
;
If Not FileExists(@ScriptDir & '\Autoit3.exe') then
    MsgBox(16,"Autoit3.exe error",'File Autoit3.exe not found. Place this script in the AutoIt3 program directory and run it again.')
    Exit
EndIf
If Not FileExists(@ScriptDir & '\SciTE\SciTE.exe') then
    MsgBox(16,"SciTE.exe error",'File ..\SciTE\SciTE.exe not found. Something is not installer the standard way. Exiting.')
    Exit
EndIf
$Open_SciTe = '"' & @ScriptDir & '\SciTE\SciTE.exe" "%1"'
$Edit_SciTe = '"' & @ScriptDir & '\SciTE\SciTE.exe" "%1"'
if @OSArch = "X64" then
    $Run_SciTe = '"' & @ScriptDir & '\AutoIt3_x64.exe" "%1" %*'
Else
    $Run_SciTe = '"' & @ScriptDir & '\AutoIt3.exe" "%1" %*'
EndIf
$Open = RegRead("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Open\Command", "")
$Edit = RegRead("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Edit\Command", "")
$Run = RegRead("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Run\Command", "")
$Default = RegRead("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell", "")
$FixedOpen = RegRead("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3", "Application")
ConsoleWrite("+****************************************************************************************" &@CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+* Current setting: " &@CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+*        Default action:" & $Default & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+*                   Run:" & $Run & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+*                  Open:" & $Open & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+*                  Edit:" & $Edit & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+*      Always open with:" & $FixedOpen & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+****************************************************************************************" &@CRLF)
; Check for "Always open with settings
If $FixedOpen <> "" Then
    If MsgBox(4, "Override setting for Open on .AU3", 'You have specified to "Always Open" with:' & @CRLF & $FixedOpen & _
            @CRLF & " But this should be removed and the standard setting should be used!" & _
            @CRLF & @CRLF & "Click Yes to Remove this Keys") = 6 Then
        $rc = RegDelete("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3", "Application")
        ConsoleWrite('-RegDelete ("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3", "Application") $rc = ' & $rc & "  @Error=" & @error & @CRLF)
    Else
        ConsoleWrite('! Override setting for Open on .AU3 not removed' & @CRLF)
    EndIf
Else
    ConsoleWrite('+No Open override on .au3.' & @CRLF)
EndIf
; Check Edit Settings
If $Edit <> $Edit_SciTe Then
    If MsgBox(4, "Edit Settings for AU3", 'Your "Edit" settings are currently:' & @CRLF & $Edit & @CRLF & " But should be:" & @CRLF & $Edit_SciTe & @CRLF & @CRLF & " Update?") = 6 Then
        $rc = RegWrite("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Edit\Command", "", "REG_SZ", $Edit_SciTe)
        ConsoleWrite('-RegWrite Edit $rc = ' & $rc & "  @Error=" & @error & @CRLF)
    EndIf
Else
    ConsoleWrite('+Edit already set to default = ' & $Edit & @CRLF)
EndIf
; Check Open Settings
If $Open <> $Open_SciTe Then
    If MsgBox(4, "Open Settings for AU3", 'Your "Open" settings are currently:' & @CRLF & $Open & @CRLF & " But should be:" & @CRLF & $Open_SciTe & @CRLF & @CRLF & " Update?") = 6 Then
        RegWrite("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Open\Command", "", "REG_SZ", $Open_SciTe)
        ConsoleWrite('-RegWrite Open $rc = ' & $rc & "  @Error=" & @error & @CRLF)
    EndIf
Else
    ConsoleWrite('+Open already set to default = ' & $Open & @CRLF)
EndIf
; Check Run Settings
If $Run <> $Run_SciTe Then
    If MsgBox(4, "Run Setting for AU3", 'Your "Run" settings are currently:' & @CRLF & $Run & @CRLF & " But should be:" & @CRLF & $Run_SciTe & @CRLF & @CRLF & " Update?") = 6 Then
        RegWrite("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Run\Command", "", "REG_SZ", $Run_SciTe)
        ConsoleWrite('-RegWrite Run $rc = ' & $rc & "  @Error=" & @error & @CRLF)
    EndIf
Else
    ConsoleWrite('+Run already set to default = ' & $Run & @CRLF)
EndIf
;Fix default action if needed.
If MsgBox(4, "Default action for AU3", 'Your current "Default" action for au3 is:' & '"' & $Default & '"' &  @CRLF &  @CRLF & "Do you want to change that? ") = 6 Then
    If MsgBox(4, "Default action for AU3", 'Click Yes for "Edit" ' & @CRLF & '    or No for "Run"') = 6 Then
        RegWrite("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell", "", "REG_SZ", "Edit")
        ConsoleWrite('+Changed Default action to "Edit" ' & @CRLF)
    Else
        RegWrite("HKCR\AutoIt3Script\Shell", "", "REG_SZ", "Run")
        ConsoleWrite('+Changed Default action to "Run" ' & @CRLF)
    EndIf
EndIf
;
;Ensure hhctrl is properly registered
$rc = RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c /s regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx", "", @SW_HIDE)
ConsoleWrite('+regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx $rc = ' & $rc & @CRLF)
Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)