What do I do next? (Newbie needs guidance)

Hello everyone.

I am a noob.

I have tried VB6, and Visual Studio .net for quite some time each, and just could not grasp them.

I have completed Autoit 1 2 3.

I have browsed so much of the examples section looking at others code and trying it out.

I have spent hours reading the chm, and looking at it's demos.

I have watched most of the tutorial series on youtube made by 403forbidden403.

I was hoping to be able to just begin putting together some simple scripts to begin manipulating some things I think should be, well, automated.

But... I don't know if I'm just meant to not code or what, but none of it ever seems to start to "come together" for me.

Is there something I'm missing out on?

How do I get all this stuff to make sense?

Is there some people that just can never learn? ( I mean I've been trying to learn for about 2 years now, off and on)

I try and try to make SOMETHING work, but to this date I have yet to say "I made that, and it does what I want".

I just don't seem to grasp how to put all of this stuff together. I mean I read all about variables and syntax and loops and classes and OMG it just turns into senseless dribble I can make nothing from.

I'm really starting to think I lack something mentally to be able to do this.

Will someone please point me in some direction?

I don't know how others started with AutoIt but this was my approach:

• I had a real "problem" to solve: Convert Autosketch files to Visio
  • I started with the sending of keystrokes to the apps
  • Later I changed the script to click on the controls
  • If I had a problem I searched the forum and if I didn't find anything I asked the forum
So I would suggest:

Grab a problem, start to code and if problems arise ask the forum. Describe your problem as good as you can, post the source and the error message you get.

Good luck!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Good luck!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's not going so well water. I posted my project and asked for some help, but no one has responded yet. I've still been trying to work it out on my own anyway and still... No progress.

I spent about another 2 hours last night reading through the chm but it seems like there's nothing in there explaining what it is it's telling me to do. (if that makes sense)

As far as the script I'm working on I don't think I even have the code "laid out" properly?

I cannot find anything that tells me when and where I should be telling it to do things. I look at tons of example of course but just cannot seem to retain anything from it. I can copy and paste the examples and they work. I can alter them... Once it comes to my own little program I'm trying to make it just looks like it's wrong. And I've only added 2 lines of code aside from the form I designed in Koda!

:blink: