How can I capture a text string from another application?

Hey, folks!

I am developing my first script where I am (trying to) capture a text string which a user enters into a different application; I then need to transfer that text string to a console window.

I see how to declare a variable, and have done so. I also know how to capture the text string from the application the end user uses. What I don't know is how to convey that text string to the console window.

I hope someone can help!

Thank you very much in advance!

Most graciously...

RGBreality

by console window are you referring to a Command console window already running? the scite console window? or a GUI console window of your creation?

What are we going to do tonight Brain?Same thing we do every night Pinky try to automate the world.

Actually, it's a GUI console window from another third-party application--neither Scite's console window nor my own.

RGBreality

Use the autoit window info tool and if the gui console window has an ID you can use ControlSend:

ControlSend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sends a string of characters to a control.

ControlSend ( "title", "text", controlID, "string" [, flag] )

Parameters

title The title of the window to access.

text The text of the window to access.

controlID The control to interact with. See Controls.

string String of characters to send to the control.

flag [optional] Changes how "keys" is processed:

flag = 0 (default), Text contains special characters like + to indicate SHIFT and {LEFT} to indicate left arrow.

flag = 1, keys are sent raw.

What are we going to do tonight Brain?Same thing we do every night Pinky try to automate the world.