Opening and Closing Applications

My script is automating the export function in Winfax MessageManager. The script works nicely, except for one thing. I get an error message when I close Winfax at the end of the script.

The normal way to close Winfax Manager and the associated Winfax Controller (which sits in the System Tray) is by going to the "File" menu and chosing "Exit All".

And that's what I have in the script..

WinMenuSelectItem("Message Manager", "", "&File", "Exi&t All")

Winfax Message Manager actually closes but I get the following error message:

"FAXMNG32.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program".

And although the Manager ultimately closes (albeit with an error) the Controller does not close and remains resident in the System Tray.

I don't believe the problem is with the way I am closing the program, because even if I remove the code and let the script end without closing Winfax, I get the same message afterwards when I close Winfax manually.

So perhaps the issue lies in the way Winfax is being opened.

Run ("C:\Program Files\Symantec\WinFax\FAXMNG32.EXE" )

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sample code would be even better.

Hi enaiman - thanks for responding again.

Yes I did a google search before posting and I did see the link you provided.

http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3386.shtml

However the issues afflicting those people were much different and more serious than mine. They were getting this message during sending and receiving operations, leaving the program virtually inoperable and in most cases it was related to corrupt image files or a corrupt installation.

My problem is not severe at all. It's just a minor irritant. And this minor irritant occurs specifically during program-close time and only if it was opened by AutoIT. There's nothing wrong with the program installation. If I go back a moment later and manually open/close Winfax I don't get the message. It's only happening in the context of AutoIT.

That's why I'm thinking perhaps using Run is not the best way to open the program.

Hi Juvigy -- thank you for the suggestion.

I tried shellexecute ... Still get the error message

In the meantime I've added the following line to get past the error message.

ControlSend ( "Program Error", "FAXMNG32.exe has generated errors", "" , "{ENTER}")

I have no idea why this is happening - all I can think of is to try RunAs and provide your credentials; there is a very small chance to work but you have nothing to lose.

I tried to look for command line parameters for Faxmng32.exe but couldn't find anything.

Good luck,

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)