Write an Installer - Why is autoit installer NSIS?

I am hoping to use autoit to create scripts to install software. I am not talking about driving the UI of another installation software, but actually doing the steps of installing software - files, regkeys, etc.

I have also been interested in working with portable apps.

I have past experience with Wise Script (WSE).

I have toyed with NSIS multiple times and it is just too foreign to my VBScript headset.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this?

Are there any frameworks or samples for creating a multi-dialog wizard or full installer? (The control program for autoit-123-demo looks close - but I don't see the source included in the distribution)

Finally, I am concerned about using AutoIt to do installs when NSIS is used to install AutoIT - should I be concerned?

Thanks for any help or experiences,

D.

For installer, i recommend you to use NSIS which is more easy and less code to write. Moreover, NSIS is specially built for writing installer, while AutoIt for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting.

[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][b][/b][/font][/size]

For installer, i recommend you to use NSIS which is more easy and less code to write. Moreover, NSIS is specially built for writing installer, while AutoIt for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting.

I'm really not keen on NSIS - after trying to build custom dialogs I was thoroughly turned off. If you stick to the standard dialogs, it seems workable. Couldn't find a GUI builder that was for the most recent version - the one that is popular uses what seem to be legacy functions from the previous major version.

I am very interested in experiences of those who have attempted to use AutoIt as the foundation for a software installer.

Edited by aef03

If you're very interested, try AutoIt and start making your installer but the script may be longer than NSIS script because every dialog/GUI you need to create. It depends on you whether you want to write customizable GUI which is more codes or standard installer GUI which is less code to write. :blink:

Edited by ichigo325

[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][b][/b][/font][/size]

Thanks ichigo325 for your reply. I don't mind if the script is longer if it is easier to maintain and understand and especially if the programming environment is richer (which it seems to be).

Anyone else done something like this?

Thanks,

D.

The best all around FREE installer in my opinion is Inno Setup. It handles everything in the proper fashion, it's very customizable and it's simple scripting. Like AutoIt, it has good documentation and good news group support.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"