Automating Software installation on a remote machine

Hi All,

i am very new to AutoIt Tool...........please help me

The requirement is 1.First download the EXE from FTP

2.Once the EXE is downloaded,automate installing the same on the local machine as well as any VM(Virtual machine or remote machine)if specified.

when i tried the FTP part, i was able to Successfully connect and upload a file to FTP, but failed to download. i was trying to use _FTP_FileGet() function but i am still finding issues with the same. what shud i do??

Also please let me know whether software installation is possible with AUtoit, and if it is possible then can we install on Vm or any remote machine..................does Autoit support this???

Please help in giving inputs regarding the same.

Thanks in Advance

You will get a lot more advice and input if you show some code demonstrating that you have actually read any info on the subject, and viewed the helpfiles.

I have just started coding so...........

For FTP Related stuff i have been using

#include <FTPEx.au3>

Static $s_RemoteFolderdownload= 'ftp://ftp.xxxxx.com/Download.txt'

Static $s_LocalFolderdownload='C:\Test\'

$server = 'xxxxx

$username = 'xxxxx'

$pass = 'xxxxx'

$Open = _FTP_Open('MyFTP Control')

$Conn = _FTP_Connect($Open, $server, $username, $pass)

Static $b=_FTP_DirPutContents($Conn, $s_LocalFolder, $s_RemoteFolder, 1 )

MsgBox(0,"Current Directory",$:blink:

Static $c=_FTP_FileGet($Conn, $s_RemoteFolderdownload, $s_LocalFolderdownload)

But the file is not getting downloaded

And i do not know whether we can install a software on a Remote machine

please advice

Edited by NewTester

A lot of open variables there.

Can AutoIt be used to automate an installation, yes.

Can AutoIt be used to automate an installation to install on a remote workstation (including VM), yes - sort of.

I use AutoIt all the time for automating various installations.

Couple of questions.

1. Is there any reason why you want to use FTP to download an application, and then kick off the install?

Depending on what type of installation it is, and how it is packaged, can determine what type of steps you have to take to automate it.

Pulling from an FTP site can eventually crash your script if the file(s) were ever updated out on the FTP site.

Would it be easier to have the file available locally, and build your AutoIt script around that? - more than likely yes.

2. What type of installation is it? (How is it packaged)

If it's an MSI, what type of variables do you need to pass to it to fully automate the installation?

If it's an EXE, is it properly packaged with InstallShield so that you can use a setup.iss file against it, or will you need to build the AutoIt script to interact with the installation? (ControlClick,ControlSend,etc...)

Or is it a standalone application that really doesn't require, doesn't have, an install. Simply copy to destination.

That's generally where you'll need to start before you begin building your script.

If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?AutoIt Forum Search

A lot of open variables there.

Can AutoIt be used to automate an installation, yes.

Can AutoIt be used to automate an installation to install on a remote workstation (including VM), yes - sort of.

I use AutoIt all the time for automating various installations.

Couple of questions.

1. Is there any reason why you want to use FTP to download an application, and then kick off the install?

Depending on what type of installation it is, and how it is packaged, can determine what type of steps you have to take to automate it.

Pulling from an FTP site can eventually crash your script if the file(s) were ever updated out on the FTP site.

Would it be easier to have the file available locally, and build your AutoIt script around that? - more than likely yes.

2. What type of installation is it? (How is it packaged)

If it's an MSI, what type of variables do you need to pass to it to fully automate the installation?

If it's an EXE, is it properly packaged with InstallShield so that you can use a setup.iss file against it, or will you need to build the AutoIt script to interact with the installation? (ControlClick,ControlSend,etc...)

Or is it a standalone application that really doesn't require, doesn't have, an install. Simply copy to destination.

That's generally where you'll need to start before you begin building your script.

1)the reason that i want to downlaod an application from FTP is that usually the application that comes for testing will be posted on to FTP by our clients.so often we have to download and then install

2)Its an EXE and packaged with Installsheild, and yes i want to build script to interact with the installation(like clicking on next button say for example)

Also am still finding problem in downloading file from FTP

please let me know if this is correct way of doing

Static $s_LocalFile="C:\"

Static $s_RemoteFile="ftp://ftp.xxxxxx.com/xxxx.zip"

$GetFile=_FTP_FileGet($Conn, $s_RemoteFile, $s_LocalFile)

But am able to connect to FTP and upload documents

Please advice

Edited by NewTester