working with Word 2007; autoit error

I am trying to copy contents from a webpage into word 2007 doc automatically. Everything seems to be working until I get to word.

I looked that code from this example, http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29712. However, I can't get it to run.

$word = ObjCreate("Word.Application") 
$word.visible = False 
$word.Documents.open(@ScriptDir & "\resume.doc") 
$word.Selection.TypeText( "november 26 " ) 
$word.Selection.Font.Bold = True $word.Selection.TypeText( "" ) 
$word.Selection.Font.Bold = False $word.Selection.TypeText( "." ) 
$word.ChangeFileOpenDirectory( @ScriptDir ) 
$word.Activedocument.SaveAs(@ScriptDir & "\resume.doc" ) 
$word.Application.Quit

Testing this code seperately from mine seems to fail for me. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. It seems like a COM error. I am getting error on the document.open lines. It returns "Error: The requested action with this object has failed."

Edited by targeter

If I provide resume.doc the above script works for me. (after adding a linebreak in line 5 & 6)

I'm running Word 2007 on win7.

I can think of two reasons for your error:

1: resume.doc does not exist: use FileExists() to check first.

2: The filepath has to be within quotes. This is sometimes true for paths containing spaces, but I can't reproduce the error this way.

3: The default filetype for word 2007 is docx. Are you sure you created a doc file?

P.s. If you are using an object variable multiple times like this you might want to check out the With statement.

If I provide resume.doc the above script works for me. (after adding a linebreak in line 5 & 6)

I'm running Word 2007 on win7.

I can think of two reasons for your error:

1: resume.doc does not exist: use FileExists() to check first.

2: The filepath has to be within quotes. This is sometimes true for paths containing spaces, but I can't reproduce the error this way.

3: The default filetype for word 2007 is docx. Are you sure you created a doc file?

P.s. If you are using an object variable multiple times like this you might want to check out the With statement.

$word.visible = False
$word.Documents.opn("C:\TEST\test.docx")
$word.Selection.Font.Bold = True
$word.Selection.TypeText( "" )
$word.Selection.Font.Bold = False
$word.Selection.TypeText( "." )
$word.Activedocument.SaveAs("C:\test\test.docx" )
$word.Application.Quit

I changed up the path to avoid the space thing. Could it have something to do with the x64 OS? I tried the Word.au3 option and _WordCreate words. however, I am trying to cut down on lines of code and the memory consumption of the script.

In the case above I created a blank test.docx file.

Edited by targeter

$word.visible = False
$word.Documents.opn("C:\TEST\test.docx")
$word.Selection.Font.Bold = True
$word.Selection.TypeText( "" )
$word.Selection.Font.Bold = False
$word.Selection.TypeText( "." )
$word.Activedocument.SaveAs("C:\test\test.docx" )
$word.Application.Quit

I changed up the path to avoid the space thing. Could it have something to do with the x64 OS? I tried the Word.au3 option and _WordCreate words. however, I am trying to cut down on lines of code and the memory consumption of the script.

yes. there's another thread that explains out the issues of interacting with COM from 64 because COM elements are 32 if i remember correctly

it would explain why others trying your code are not having the same issue; and would be consistent with the findings on the other thread, so yes

Thanks! need to get another vm session running then. Sorry if this seemed too generic of a question. I am trying to run down all possible issues before I finish up my script.

Actually I'm running it on win 7 x64 without issues. I'm even using the x64 version of autoit. You could try using the 32 bit version of autoit without having to use a 32bit OS though.

The only problems I've noticed regarding this was with GUICtrlCreateObj(); trying to embed a 32bit object in a 64bit app.

• Moderators

however, I am trying to cut down on lines of code and the memory consumption of the script.

In the case above I created a blank test.docx file.

You'd rather save a miniscule amount of memory and sacrifice the error handling the is built into Word.au3?

If you are using a 64-bit OS, 64-bit AutoIt, and SciTE as your editor, just add the follow to the top of the script.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=n

You'd rather save a miniscule amount of memory and sacrifice the error handling the is built into Word.au3?

If you are using a 64-bit OS, 64-bit AutoIt, and SciTE as your editor, just add the follow to the top of the script.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=n

You're probably right on the mem. The script is going be tied in with multiple other objects and the way in which I am going to make the calls made it initially planed out to be a difference not necessarily in memory but at least in coding length. I think I figured out a way to go with Word.au3.

But I am still having trouble with your suggestion. I wonder if it has anything to do with Windows XP x64. I'm loading up a win7 x64 to try this out shortly though.

Actually I'm running it on win 7 x64 without issues. I'm even using the x64 version of autoit. You could try using the 32 bit version of autoit without having to use a 32bit OS though.

The only problems I've noticed regarding this was with GUICtrlCreateObj(); trying to embed a 32bit object in a 64bit app.

I am runnng native x64 as well. I am using win7 x64. Are you running this with any headers or as is?

I am runnng native x64 as well. I am using win7 x64. Are you running this with any headers or as is?

I'm not using any headers and my default for running scripts is 64bit. My default for compiling is 32 bit, but 64 bit compiling worked aswell.