Problem with "Run" command

Is it just me or is there a really large issue with the "Run" command. Most any time i use it to, say run one of my games, i get "FATAL ERROR, Invalid command line parameter: -changedir"

I am running on WinVista Premium, x64.... the run command WILL work when i test silly obvious things like "notepad" but when i supply some sort of full path... oh no it doesnt like it! ;)

Is there something im doing wrong? do i need to have a working directory? Is there an issue with spaces in the path? Is it my architecture/OS? Is there a bug in the command?

Any information would be extremely helpful. Right now im using WinKey + R to run all my stuff, it seems REALLY silly for such a nice programming language like this not to be able to run programs properly!!! :blink:

Are the problems gone if you use ShellExecute instead of the Run command?

Yes.... yes they are! or at least with what ive tried so far that doesnt work with "Run" :blink:

Why doesnt run work and ShellExecute does? from what im seeing in the help file they do basically the same thing but using a different route. I don't understand.

Why doesnt run work and ShellExecute does? from what im seeing in the help file they do basically the same thing but using a different route. I don't understand.

Shellexecute would trigger UAC, Run command would not.

Don't know if this is the reason for your problem, do have something to reproduce?

So are you saying that since Run would not go through UAC its seen as dangerous or something and therefore blocked? I would have thought that it would be the other way around, if Run went through UAC and since it doesnt actually come up, the response is a deny. Not that i really know a dang thing about all of this.

....if youre asking if i have code that replicates this issue, not really. This is only because the error is so easy to replicate in my case. Just try running any program with a filepath >.>

Most of what i used was games, so it was in the path:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\"

Regardless of why this happens, i know now to use ShellExecute, but id still like to understand better why Run doesnt work, if anyone has more info :blink: Thanks.

Check this branch of the registry (where GameExecutable.exe is the name of the game you are running):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\GameExecutable.Exe

Look for a value called 'Path' and if it exists, that's probably the reason the program won't run correctly. ShellExecute automatically sets those paths. You can do the same yourself though, by adding those paths to the PATH environment variable.

If the above doesn't apply, then I'm curious too why it wouldn't work.

Hmm, I could take a guess that if you are running your script in 32-bit mode, then the file redirection in an x64 O/S might not recognize the ' (x86)' part of your path (which would just be the same as @ProgramFilesDir), but if ShellExecute works.. that's a bit perplexing.

Do you have a Run() example that fails for you?