Alter printer assignment for external application ...

qwert

Is it possible to run an AutoIt script and have it look up the printer assignment for an external application? -- and then alter that assignment, like changing its setting from Portrait to Landscape? Ultimately, I would like to be able to select a different printer for the application and open the print setup dialog for the user's review.

My forum searches came up with ways to change parameters for the default printer or the script's own printer ... but I didn't find anything about working with external applications.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

You might find registry settings specific to that app that could be changed. Poke around in HKLM\SOFTWARE\{AppName}, or maybe HKCU\Software\{AppName} to see if there are printer settings in there.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Thanks for the response.

Per your suggestion, I was able to find an entry that I'll paraphrase as:

[App] [Version] [Preferences] [Printer]... REG_SZ ... Canon MP, winspool, Ne02:

Now what I need is a script to open the dialog for the specific printer

... and another script to programmatically change the mode from Portrait to Landscape.

I'll experiment and post my results.

Thanks for the response.

Per your suggestion, I was able to find an entry that I'll paraphrase as:

[App] [Version] [Preferences] [Printer]... REG_SZ ... Canon MP, winspool, Ne02:

Now what I need is a script to open the dialog for the specific printer

... and another script to programmatically change the mode from Portrait to Landscape.

I'll experiment and post my results.

that can be configured with printui.dll once you have the printer details, i'm sure there are enough example scripts here or msdn to get you going

that can be configured with printui.dll once you have the printer details, i'm sure there are enough example scripts here or msdn to get you going

I think he wants to leave the global settings alone, and only make changes for the selected app(s).

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I think he wants to leave the global settings alone, and only make changes for the selected app(s).

That is correct. It is only for a specific application. Imagine being able to click a hotkey and change the printer from draft mode to high-quality mode, but just for the one application. That's my goal.

I haven't had time to be back onto this, but if anyone has suggestions that might shorten my experimention, I will be grateful.