AutoIT Compiled EXE File Properties

Hi everyone.

First I used Aut2EXE, then quickly switched to using Compile (AutoItWrapper)from SciTE for making EXEs.

The ability to set the resource fields that show up when you view properties of your compiled EXE is great, however I noticed on Vista (and probably Windows 7) these don't show up in the "Details" pane like they do on the "Version" pane on Windows XP.

You only get Description, Type(Application), File Version, Product Name(always blank, can't see how to fill this one), Product Version, Copyright, Size, Date Modified and Language.

On XP, you get far more, including all your custom added ones.

Is there something else I need to do for Vista/Win7, or is this functionality not yet/ever possible in Vista/7 ?

I noticed the same problem but have no solution so far.

When you search the internet (I tried: windows 7 explorer doesn't display "custom file property" and similar) you'll find a lot of people complaining about Windows 7 not displaying this kind of data. But no one seems to have a solution.

I'll keep on searching and post my findings - if any.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I noticed the same problem but have no solution so far.

When you search the internet (I tried: windows 7 explorer doesn't display "custom file property" and similar) you'll find a lot of people complaining about Windows 7 not displaying this kind of data. But no one seems to have a solution.

I'll keep on searching and post my findings - if any.

Hmm.. yeah I've looked at a couple of other exe and they're all a bit basic.

However they are able to at least write the "Product name" and "Product version" entries which for Autoit EXE's is blank, and I've seen one with "Original filename".

Would be nice if we could write to these with AutoitWrapper, if the other custom ones are not visible in Win7 atm.

Edited by AJStevens

• Developers

Just:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=Productname|Test Product
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=ProductVersion|Version 1

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Just:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=Productname|Test Product
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=ProductVersion|Version 1

Hi Jos

You know what it was...... I had a space between Product and name, and Product and Version ;)

I managed to get the following to appear (not using spaces!)

Legal trademarks

Original filename

Can't seem to get "Company" to show though or ANY custom one, I think they have to be Win7's details column list.

Edited by AJStevens

• Developers

Can't seem to get "Company" to show though or ANY custom one, I think they have to be Win7's details column list.

This should do it:
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=CompanyName|bedrijf

I am using "CFF Explorer" to look at a program that has all info and just check for the correct name in the "Version Info" Section.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

This should do it:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=CompanyName|bedrijf

I am using "CFF Explorer" to look at a program that has all info and just check for the correct name in the "Version Info" Section.

CFF Explorer, interesting, I'll download that, thanks!

Hmm... if I turn on the "Company" column, I see it, but it doesn't show up in the Details tab ;)

Actually.. tried other exe's and that might be a Windows 7 issue...

Err... CFF Explorer shows info on other EXE's but not ones made from AutoIT script ??!! That sucks

Edited by AJStevens

• Developers

CFF Explorer, interesting, I'll download that, thanks!

Hmm... if I turn on the "Company" column, I see it, but it doesn't show up in the Details tab ;)

Actually.. tried other exe's and that might be a Windows 7 issue...

Yeap... that is what I saw as well.

Err... CFF Explorer shows info on other EXE's but not ones made from AutoIT script ??!! That sucks

Not sure what you mean. I can look at the Version info for compiled autoit3script just fine.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Darn Windows...

Not sure what you mean. I can look at the Version info for compiled autoit3script just fine.

This is what I get on any of my AutoIT EXE's from SciTE Compile/AutoitWrapper:

post-51287-12820778519882_thumb.jpg

And this is what I get looking at iexplorer.exe:

post-51287-12820780353747_thumb.jpg

Edited by AJStevens

• Developers

Try it without using UPX compression on your script.

Your can always see the resource info by clicking the "Resource Editor" link in CFF Explorer.

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Try it without using UPX compression on your script.

Your can always see the resource info by clicking the "Resource Editor" link in CFF Explorer.

Not using UPX COmpression didn't make any difference.

True, though it's a bit garbled, just wondered why it didn't show up... still, not overly fussed what people using CFF on it don't see. More concerned about the "Company" not showing up, but guess that's Windows 7 messing us up.. oh well, least I got most of the other important info on there, does make the custom res fields useless now though... which is a big shame.