iPad

anixon

I was asked and have just finished reviewing the suitability of an iPad for Students [Australian education system year 7 '13 years old' throught to year 12 '18 years old' ] compared with the current arrangements which support Notebooks and Desktop Computers. It is not my intention to publish my findings and/or views. The college reviewed currently supports students with desktop computers and teachers with Notebooks with a mixture of IBM and Apple operating systems. Included in the mix are Windows legacy systems that had to be supported as well as the introduction of a new Ultranet that will support interaction between Teachers, Parents and Students. I would be happy to field any questions and share my findings in relation to the efficacy of the iPad in this type of environment.

I'm reminded of this image...

Posted Image

What did you find about distractions and the like? I know a big thing I found with computers (windows only. the IT dept had a big thing against anything apple) at my school was their policy on games. As everyone had a notebook computer (grade 7-12) many used it as a gaming device rather than a tool of learning; me included.

I'm reminded of this image...

Posted Image

What did you find about distractions and the like? I know a big thing I found with computers (windows only. the IT dept had a big thing against anything apple) at my school was their policy on games. As everyone had a notebook computer (grade 7-12) many used it as a gaming device rather than a tool of learning; me included.

Distractions? relatively easy to apply policy to avoid unauthorised use. <BR><BR>And the comment in relation to what is cheaper well there is always more than the cost of the hardware and operating system to consider when it comes to cost and to put it simply there is a more simple equation and that is the cost to get in and the cost to stay in. <BR><BR>For example what is the cost of the real estate that a permanent fixture like a Desktop computer occupies including the desk chairs power points etc when compared with the iPad with the same functionality. <BR><BR>In relation to Windows programs on the iPad you can run the Wyse Pocket Cloud Client [Remote Desktop] and on the Server VMware View which provides a user interface between the iPad and what is best [if anything] about Windows. Centralising Windows programs into a single point of delivery has significant cost benefits when compared to distributed installations. Properly configured an iPad can simply and efficiently deliver the best of both worlds. Airvideo a program similar to Wyse Pocket Cloud supports the centralisation of Podcasts and other multimedia streams. A single download to a Airvideo Server can be streamed to multiple users. This methodology in an Education environment allows total control over content. <BR><BR>Oh I also forgot to mention that I have also tested an Apple Notebook computer running a Windows XP Virtual Machine&nbsp;which&nbsp;with a&nbsp;single keystroke you can switch between&nbsp;the Windows and Apple operating systems and their companion programs.<BR><BR>I am definately not an Apple advocate so I am not pushing any particular barrow rather my interest is simply based on whether or not the hardware or any hardware for that matter&nbsp;is fit for the purpose for which it is intended&nbsp;notwithstanding that&nbsp;our requirements are not necessarily yours.

Edited by anixon

I'm a tried and true Apple basher and to be honest, Apple's business model is too closed to easily develop software for. By sticking with Windows or some form of Unix/Linux, you've got a much wider range of tools to help integrate your devices into the workflow.

Also iPads are more expensive than netbooks.

I have responded to your comments elsewhere within this thread...