update a queue across multiple computers

tcox8

Hello all, I am working on a small project to do a big task. The object is to do the following.

There are 5 computers. Each computer will have my program installed on them. The program is a visible queue (kind of like a print job queue in windows). When one of the computers adds an update to the queue I need all of them to update. i.e. (Sticking with the windows print queue example) Computer 1 sends a job to the queue, then the queue is updated across all machines.

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how this is done? I appreciate any help given. Thanks!

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

First way to do it:

You need to have one PC be the server PC and the rest to be a client PCs. What I mean by this is you have a file on one PC that all the PCs read every few moments. Any of the PCs can write to this file. Make it an INI file. When one of the computers changes the file INI entry, the other ones will read the entry and see the change. Look at the picture to see what I have in mind

Second way to do it:

Have each PC host a file called setting.ini. All other PCs the setting.ini on each PC. If any of the PCs change their ini entry, the other PCs do what you want. Much harder to do.

First way to do it:

You need to have one PC be the server PC and the rest to be a client PCs. What I mean by this is you have a file on one PC that all the PCs read every few moments. Any of the PCs can write to this file. Make it an INI file. When one of the computers changes the file INI entry, the other ones will read the entry and see the change. Look at the picture to see what I have in mind

Second way to do it:

Have each PC host a file called setting.ini. All other PCs the setting.ini on each PC. If any of the PCs change their ini entry, the other PCs do what you want. Much harder to do.

Thanks for the prompt response!

what I was looking at doing was similar. I was thinking of using the excel udf to write to and read from a server file (data will be in an array with columns and rows). However I was wondering if that would kill the processor and/or network having these computers reading/writing to that file all day long. Any ideas?

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't"