What is an exe stub

Im pretty new at this and im just trying to lean as much things as possible so i can expand my knowledge in this area. I was just curious as to what an "exe stub" is and what is the purpose of it. From what i gathered a stub is a ONE BYTE executable broken down from the primary exe is this right?. Any help regarding this question is appreciated

Edited by wakrein

Im pretty new at this and im just trying to lean as much things as possible so i can expand my knowledge in this area. I was just curious as to what an "exe stub" is and what is the purpose of it. And help regarding this question is appriciated

i'm not so new at this, but i'm not sure what you're talking about. tried google'ing "exe stub" and nothing that came up looked like anything that should be discussed here... could you perhaps provide some context as to where you've come across the term in relation to expanding your knowledge of autoit?

i'm not so new at this, but i'm not sure what you're talking about. tried google'ing "exe stub" and nothing that came up looked like anything that should be discussed here... could you perhaps provide some context as to where you've come across the term in relation to expanding your knowledge of autoit?

i was searching on google about programming and someone had mentioned about the stub from an exe, but i didnt understand this term "stub" but i guess if stubs arnt used here then i guess it wouldnt be of much use now would it. But is it possible to break down an EXE into little EXE's retaining the original data into single kb's or even bytes?

i was searching on google about programming and someone had mentioned about the stub from an exe, but i didnt understand this term "stub" but i guess if stubs arnt used here then i guess it wouldnt be of much use now would it. But is it possible to break down an EXE into little EXE's retaining the original data into single kb's or even bytes?

if the data could be written into single bytes, the original exe wouldn't be so large to begin with... i swear i'm not trying to be insulting i just don't see where you're going with this... what were you googling about programming that referenced stubs, maybe that will lead me down the same rabbit hole and i can shed a little more light.

if the data could be written into single bytes, the original exe wouldn't be so large to begin with... i swear i'm not trying to be insulting i just don't see where you're going with this... what were you googling about programming that referenced stubs, maybe that will lead me down the same rabbit hole and i can shed a little more light.

i certainly didnt google "exe stub" or anything like that but i think it was something about hex editing exe's im new i just want to learn a bit about stuff like curious geroge for personal learning and testing only Edited by wakrein

• 3 years later...

I understand a stub being a small piece of code/program that does something simple to do with launching other code. I recently made a script to install a clan modpack for a game and rather than force people to download the new version of the downloader when I add optional extras I actually made the program they download into just a stub that actually downloads the real script's a3x file and execute it. I classify that little exe as a stub because all it does is perform the action of loading the main script.

• Moderators

Morthawt, you've been around long enough to know not to necro old posts, especially when the OP hasn't even been active in almost a year.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Sorry, I have been searching for threads today, I must have gotten distracted and forgot the thread list I was looking at was from a search instead of the current list.