interprocess communication without disk access

Is it possible for an AutoIt script to send information to another AutoIt script or another program without having to resort to writing to disk? Is it possible for another program to access the memory of an AutoIt script to get information? I would like to share information stored in a string variable. I have an AutoIt script whose only purpose is to put information into a string variable. I'd like to run another program concurrently which periodically checks the value in that variable and then does something with it. How can I share this information with the other program without having to write it to disk?

Edited by Phenom

There are a couple of ways. You could use _SendMessage using WM_COPYDATA or a memory mapped file. If you search example scripts you should find implementations. For a lot of data memory mapped file is better.

edit: See memory mapped file docs. CreateFileMapping lets you pass -1 as a handle to use system paging as backing for the data, rather than a named file on disk(works even if there's no pagefile.sys... at least it does for me using one memory page.)

Edited by MilesAhead

• 3 years later...

If you search the Example scripts forum for "inter process communication" you'll get a lot of hits. "Mailslot" by trancexx is one of the best and easiest to use.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki