New to AutoIt - Anyone care to give me a kick start?

davida2

I just found out about AutoIt...and it looks great!

I have a project that I think this would work great for. I have poked around in the forum for a couple hours and there is A LOT of useful info available. I am hoping that someone that knows their way around can point me in the right direction for some of the code examples or shared code that I could get off to a running start. I have a good programming background (although not with AutoIt), so I think if I had some examples to start with I could figure out most of what I need without too much trouble (I hope).

So here's the areas that I would like some examples. If you can refer me to another thread, etc for any of these, I would appreciate it (or if you have code that I could use ;) )

1.) How to design and display a data input window for my program (the ability to have a tabbed interface would be even better).

2.) I noticed in a couple places, references to some POP3 functions, but some of the threads were older. Are these still good? Where is the most up to date version of these?

3.) Examples of using the above POP3 functions.

4.) Opening an instance of Internet Explorer for a URL I supply (and verifying that it opened successfully).

5.) Reading/writing data from/to a .txt file on the hard disk.

There are probably other things that I need as well, but this would be a GREAT start if anyone cares to give any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

The Help File is packed with most of the resources you enquire about:

1.) See GUICreate(), and for tabs see GUICtrlCreateTab()

2.) As for POP3, search the forums. If you feel there should be something more up to date, then you are better off writing your own function/script. I prefer to use SMTP and there is a very nice SMTP example here http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index....owtopic=23860&st=0&p=166575&#entry166575

3.) Again, search the forums, they are pretty resourceful, if you can't find one, than write one.

4.) There is a UDF <IE.au3> that should have been included with your current install of AutoIt3 in the Includes folder. It has many useful functions for IE manipulation. Many of these functions are well defined most with examples in your Help File.

5.) See FileRead() and FileWrite()

Edit: Fixed typos

Edited by Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry. 

The Help File is packed with most of the resources you enquire about:

1.) See GUICreate(), and for tabs see GUICtrlCreateTab()

2.) As for POP3, search the forums. If you feel there should be something more up to date, then you are better off writing your own function/script. I prefer to use SMTP and there is a very nice SMTP example here http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index....owtopic=23860&st=0&p=166575&#entry166575

3.) Again, search the forums, they are pretty resourceful, if you can't find one, than write one.

4.) There is a UDF <IE.au3> that should have been included with your current install of AutoIt3 in the Includes folder. It has many useful functions for IE manipulation. Many of these functions are well defined most with examples in your Help File.

5.) See FileRead() and FileWrite()

Edit: Fixed typos

Realm - Thanks for all the useful info! I really appreciate you taking the time.

;)!

Realm forgot to mention something! ;)

... Welcome to the forums! :)

AlmarM - Thanks!

Realm - Thanks for all the useful info! I really appreciate you taking the time.

My Pleasure, I had the time ;)

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry.