Getting Feedback From A Ping

Guest mwkirk

Has anyone gotten anything going where they are able to get some feedback from an IP Ping? I have a pretty decent script that I use to stage various pieces of network gear. Normally, we document device names, IP addresses, etc. in a spreadsheet. I have an AutoIt script that reads the necessary information from the spreadsheet and then it can go back in the spreadsheet and update information such as MAC addresses, serial numbers and software versions. In a lot of instances the devices will have a default IP address and I have the script run through and completely configure a device. The script will then prompt me to connect the next device to be configured.

What I want it do and have had problems getting it to work just right is to go out and ping the device and make sure it is live then start chugging through configuring the next device. I have tried running a ping that outputs to a text file then have a routine that looks through that file to make sure it got a ping response but can't seem to get it working.

Anyone got a routine that does something similar that they might be willing to share?

Thanks

Mike

• Developers

i posted this script earlier that check if an ip adress responds :

; Run ping with count=1 and timeout = 1 second
$rc = RunWait(@comspec &  ' /c ping 192.168.100.100 -n 1 -w 1000','',@SW_HIDE)
If $rc = 0 Then
; host exists
Else
; host doesn't exists
EndIf

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Well I feel embarassed now. My approach was much more complicated. Nice solution to my problem. I think that is going to fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks

Mike

i posted this script earlier that check if an ip adress responds :

; Run ping with count=1 and timeout = 1 second
$rc = RunWait(@comspec &  ' /c ping 192.168.100.100 -n 1 -w 1000','',@SW_HIDE)
If $rc = 0 Then
; host exists
Else
; host doesn't exists
EndIf
FYI: I've noticed that Windows 2000's ping command doesn't assign the expected errorlevels for successful ping attempts. What I've done in the past was to dump the ping output to a temp file, and then parsed it to determine if the ping attempt was successful.