Identify elements in Menu strip (toolbar)

Hi,

I am automating a window that have a menubar/toolbar.

Though the menubar can be recognized with the help of 'Window info', there is no way I see to recognize elements/menus in that menubar.

Is there any way to list it out and say double click one of the menu to invoke some function?

Menu looks like this:

post-60077-1284465143081_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anandyatree

Start out with WinMenuSelectItem(). See help file.

If you want to get more advanced with it, see the _GuiCtrlMenu_* UDF functions. Again, see help file.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I tried this function as:

$Success = WinMenuSelectItem ( "Administrator", "", "File")

$iIndex = _GUICtrlMenu_FindItem (0x000111CC, "Help")

For both statements, I am getting back failure value (o and -1). The main window is reognized by the function. But the menu can not be recognized.

Is this issue with AutoIt tool that it can not recognize some of the woindows etc?

Edited by Anandyatree

You can't enter a literal handle that way. It is technically possible if you used:

$iIndex = _GUICtrlMenu_FindItem (HWnd(0x000111CC), "Help")
But that is never a good idea because handles change each time the object is recreated.

Get the menu handle with _GUICtrlMenu_GetMenu().

So it would be more like this:

#include <GuiMenu.au3>

$hWin = WinGetHandle("Administrator", "")
$hMenu = _GUICtrlMenu_GetMenu($hWin)
$iFile = _GUICtrlMenu_FindItem($hMenu, "Help")

Note the actual text of the help item might be "&Help", indicating ALT-h was the accelerator key for that item.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

From the comments under WinMenuSelectItem() in the help file:

WinMenuSelectItem will only work on standard menus. Unfortunately, many menus in use today are actually custom written or toolbars "pretending" to be menus. This is true for most Microsoft applications.

;)