Need urgent suggestions please

ALTIN

Hi folks,

im posting this here, I know it's out of topic but I need your urgent suggestions.

I have a Windows Server 2008 that wont boot up normally, I just can enter in safe mode.

I did chkdsk /r from command prompt but didnt work.

I want to ask: If I do a repair using Windows Server 2008 installation disk, will I lose any information or documents??

Will they work and be compattible after repair??

Help please, and sorry for this post not related to Autoit. I just need fast help and this is an active forum that can give it...

Edited by ALTIN

Hi folks,

im posting this here, I know it's out of topic but I need your urgent suggestions.

I have a Windows Server 2008 that wont boot up normally, I just can enter in safe mode.

I did chkdsk /r from command prompt but didnt work.

I want to ask: If I do a repair using Windows Server 2008 installation disk, will I lose any information or documents??

Will they work and be compattible after repair??

Help please, and sorry for this post not related to Autoit. I just need help fast and this is an active forum that can give it...

What happens when you try to boot normally? Repair SHOULD only affect OS files, and i believe there's a startup repair option too IIRC

When try toboot manually it just give a black screen. Note that it did the same black screen 2 days ago but yesterday it just started normally.

Today again wont start.

I just can enter in safe mode.

I am much worried it the data it has now will work normally If I do a repair using installation cd. Because it is a server, you know.

Edited by ALTIN

Check the Event log for errors. Also, did it shut down gracefully? If not, try a "Last Known Good" boot. You can also remove any devices that are not necessary for operation. If it is a production server, you should (have) recent backups as a practice.

I tried "Last Good Known Configuration" but it doesn't bring any result.

Also the pc does not have any other devices attached, only mouse and keyboard and takes a very long time to enter in safe mode too (some times about 20 minutes)

Edited by ALTIN

Anything interesting in the Event Viewer? Did you install any software/drivers before the last reboot? Was the last reboot clean or dirty (power failure, BSOD)?

No boot failure or power interruption, just normal reboot. And didnt install any software or drivers recently.

It was just working as usual but started to have problems 2 days ago.

And I see some errors in Event Viewer.... Will post a screenshot after a few min...

Thanks for fast replies Varian

EDIT: sorry, had some issues and couldn't post screenshots but I'm performing some diagnostics based in your suggestions and see how it goes.... (And MemoryDiagnostics Tool as Varian suggested below)

Edited by ALTIN

I would also suggest running the Memory Diagnostics in the boot options. I can't tell you how many times a machine that has had memory issues that show the same symptoms. Try a boot with the minimum memory required for POST

After completed memory tests with Memory Diagnostics Tool, it didn't find any memory problems,

pc started normally and I could access the normal desktop.

However I did a reboot to see if the problem is still present and now the PC can boot in normal desktop (no safe mode) but takes about 15 minutes until reaching normal desktop...

Edited by ALTIN

Hi.

After completed memory tests with Memory Diagnostics Tool, it didn't find any memory problems,

pc started normally ...

So be happy, that you can access everything.

I imagine to recognize some slight panic in your lines, the fear, to loose data?

If you haven't done so already: Setup a reliable backup solution.

Not tomorrow.

Today.

Right NOW! ;)

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!