hiding installation windows during my automated vlc install..

Mohit

i have created an script for automated install for vlc . It works fine but shows installation screens. My first question is how to hide these. Pls dnt tl me to use silent switches for vlc wat abt those which dnt Support switches. Pls explain with an example of automated install. Urgent held needed. Can post the script also.

If you are using Control* functions rather than Send or MouseClick then it's a simple matter of using WinSetState with @SW_HIDE:

WinSetState("vlc", "", @SW_HIDE)

you will need to replace vlc with the actual window title.

Mat

Brother i am not familiar with the control* function. I am using send and mouseclick wat is the procedure then.

Ok, then it is more complex. I'll explain the basics. If you know all this already then skip the next few paragraphs.

ControlClick and ControlSend are the same as MouseClick and Send, except instead of mimicking user input by moving the mouse etc. They send the messages straight to the controls. As a result, you don't need coordinates or anything like that, and the window doesn't need to be visible.

However, you need to tell the computer exactly what to click, and AutoIt has a number of ways you can do this: Handles, Id's, class names, and sometimes even .Net names.

To get these you use 'AutoIt Window Info'. It comes with the AutoIt install, and is under the start menu entry. The functions require a reference to the window, and then a reference to the control. Notepads main edit can be sent to like this:

ControlSend("[CLASS:Notepad]", "", "Edit1", "This is a line of text in the notepad window")

"[CLASS:Notepad]" is the window, and "Edit1" is the edit. We use classes as they don't usually change. If you tried to use handles it wouldn't work as the handle is never (or at least, not normally) the same.

Try using winfo on the vlc window and post your results. It should be easy enough to convert your current script to use the Control functions.

Alternatively, some of the macro recorders that are bundled with the full SciTE4AutoIt3 package use the Control functions, so you could use one of those instead.

Mat

Ok, then it is more complex. I'll explain the basics. If you know all this already then skip the next few paragraphs.

ControlClick and ControlSend are the same as MouseClick and Send, except instead of mimicking user input by moving the mouse etc. They send the messages straight to the controls. As a result, you don't need coordinates or anything like that, and the window doesn't need to be visible.

However, you need to tell the computer exactly what to click, and AutoIt has a number of ways you can do this: Handles, Id's, class names, and sometimes even .Net names.

To get these you use 'AutoIt Window Info'. It comes with the AutoIt install, and is under the start menu entry. The functions require a reference to the window, and then a reference to the control. Notepads main edit can be sent to like this:

ControlSend("[CLASS:Notepad]", "", "Edit1", "This is a line of text in the notepad window")

"[CLASS:Notepad]" is the window, and "Edit1" is the edit. We use classes as they don't usually change. If you tried to use handles it wouldn't work as the handle is never (or at least, not normally) the same.

Try using winfo on the vlc window and post your results. It should be easy enough to convert your current script to use the Control functions.

Alternatively, some of the macro recorders that are bundled with the full SciTE4AutoIt3 package use the Control functions, so you could use one of those instead.

Mat

Thanks a LOT man i will try and post the results tommorow.

Mat

Thanks a LOT man i will try and post the results tommorow.

I'll try it tommorrow, I don't want to be messing around with installs right now... I've got lots of work to do

Thanks Man. I will post you the script of my other automation so u cn hide it make it less time wastage for u and make me understand it much more.

I'll try it tommorrow, I don't want to be messing around with installs right now... I've got lots of work to do

Thanks Man. I will post you the script of my other automation so u cn hide it make it less time wastage for u and make me understand it much more.

This worked:

Run("vlc-1.1.4-win32.exe")

WinWait("Installer Language", "")
WinSetState("Installer Language", "", @SW_HIDE)
ControlClick("Installer Language", "", "Button1")

WinWait("VLC media player 1.1.4 Setup", "")
WinSetState("VLC media player 1.1.4 Setup", "", @SW_HIDE)
ControlClick("VLC media player 1.1.4 Setup", "", "Button2")

While ControlGetText("VLC media player 1.1.4 Setup", "", "Button2") <> "&Finish"
    Sleep(10)
WEnd

ControlClick("VLC media player 1.1.4 Setup", "", "Button4")

This worked:

While ControlGetText("VLC media player 1.1.4 Setup", "", "Button2") <> "&Finish"
 Sleep(10)
WEnd

oh i was using winwaitactive . U knw u rock Bro.

This worked:

Sleep(10)
WEnd

This not hiding? I can see installation screen. Edited by Read

It should be hiding it... Thats what this line is for:

Are you installing 1.1.4? If not then the title will be different.

Yes, vers: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/files/1.1.4/win32/vlc-1.1.4-win32.exe/download

I see all progress, fast but i see :)

If is hiding why you don't use something like this?

MsgBox(0, "Complete Install", "VLC: In your computer")

Not good my English ;)

Edited by Read

I don't understand how to use @SW_HIDE

Winzip tutorial: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/tutorials/winzip/winzip.htm

; Run the winzip installer
Run("winzip90.exe")

; Initial Setup Screen
WinSetState("WinZip® 9.0 SR-1 Setup""&Setup", "", @SW_HIDE) Now 
Send("!s")

; Install location
WinWaitActive("WinZip Setup", "into the following folder")
Send("{ENTER}")

; Features overview
WinWaitActive("WinZip Setup", "WinZip features include")
Send("!n")

; License agreement
WinWaitActive("License Agreement")
Send("!y")

; Quick start
WinWaitActive("WinZip Setup", "Quick Start Guide")
Send("!n")

; Choose interface
WinWaitActive("WinZip Setup", "switch between the two interfaces")
Send("!c")
Send("!n")

; Installation type (custom/express)
WinWaitActive("WinZip Setup", "&Express setup (recommended)")
Send("!e")
Send("!n")

; Select file associations
WinWaitActive("WinZip Setup", "WinZip needs to associate itself with your archives")
Send("!n")

; Completed installation screen
WinWaitActive("WinZip Setup", "Thank you for installing this evaluation version")
Send("{ENTER}")

; Wait for winzip to load then close it
WinWaitActive("WinZip (Evaluation Version)")
WinClose("WinZip (Evaluation Version)")

Sry spam