bad words filter

XY16

i am looking to develope an app that will run in the background and prevent children from typing bad words in their instant messenger applications. i need some way of extracting the input from any edit fields that get typed in and searching out any bad words and replacing them with words like f***, sh** etc. is there a function or example script out there that will help me obtain the text and replace it? i can search out any bad words from a string my self, but can't find any way to hook in to apps like msn, aim etc to get the typed text.

Please note: If you plan on submitting any code snippits to my posts, please refrain from using the code tags as i use a screen reader and can't read the code properly, let alone copy it the way it should be.Thanks for your understanding.Best regardsXY16

Using Manadars HotStrings UDF you could do the trick. If you really need to hook to certain apps, maybe a winactive() call in a loop will do?

hi

the hotstrings udf did the trick.

thanks allott, the program i am developing will eventually become a good tool for family safety.

Please note: If you plan on submitting any code snippits to my posts, please refrain from using the code tags as i use a screen reader and can't read the code properly, let alone copy it the way it should be.Thanks for your understanding.Best regardsXY16

You my friend are asking for a keystroke logger. I see what you are asking for and your intent, but AutoIt isn't the way to go on this. You need something out of the box that can do what you need. The only thing I can think of that might do the job is robotype. How this animal works is you can type in s string, then hit the space bar. it will replace what you type with what you want the text to be. It is handy for long strings that you use all the time. In your case, it could be used to solve your issue. There is one thing to note - It can't do a thing about inbound messages, emails or anything like that. If your intent is to shield a child from all words you find offensive, then you will be hard pressed to find what you need. I doubt what you need exist to the standard you are looking for.

Here is the link to robotype:

http://download.cnet.com/Robotype/3000-2079_4-23610.html

I do want to point out if the child wants to do what you are attempting to stop (in a nutshell you want to censor them) they will find work arounds to what ever you attempt. Kids do this. They are kids after all, and they will try to be more independent the older they get They will want to explore their surroundings, test boundaries and so forth. Put yourself in their place. If you had an adult that told you that you could not say the work "cake" for example, odds are you would find ways to say it. It is human nature. I'm not trying to start a debate on how to raise a child. What you do is your own business. All I'm trying to do here is provide some wisdom to your request and how difficult of a time you will have in fulfilling it.

You my friend are asking for a keystroke logger. I see what you are asking for and your intent, but AutoIt isn't the way to go on this. You need something out of the box that can do what you need. The only thing I can think of that might do the job is robotype. How this animal works is you can type in s string, then hit the space bar. it will replace what you type with what you want the text to be. It is handy for long strings that you use all the time. In your case, it could be used to solve your issue. There is one thing to note - It can't do a thing about inbound messages, emails or anything like that. If your intent is to shield a child from all words you find offensive, then you will be hard pressed to find what you need. I doubt what you need exist to the standard you are looking for.

Here is the link to robotype:

http://download.cnet.com/Robotype/3000-2079_4-23610.html

I do want to point out if the child wants to do what you are attempting to stop (in a nutshell you want to censor them) they will find work arounds to what ever you attempt. Kids do this. They are kids after all, and they will try to be more independent the older they get They will want to explore their surroundings, test boundaries and so forth. Put yourself in their place. If you had an adult that told you that you could not say the work "cake" for example, odds are you would find ways to say it. It is human nature. I'm not trying to start a debate on how to raise a child. What you do is your own business. All I'm trying to do here is provide some wisdom to your request and how difficult of a time you will have in fulfilling it.

hi

i guess you could say i am looking for a key logger, but a key logger in general looks for any keyboard entries and now usually mouse clicks.

what i am writing is a program to detect when certain letters are typed in sequence and to stopp what was typed and replace it.

i understand about kids finding ways round things, they always do. we were all kids once. this is just a small project at the moment but will become bigger as i add more functionality. eventually, it will detect bad words in the clipboard. the only thing it won't be able to do is detect them in images.

thanks for the feedback.